Mobius 1.20 Firmware Discussion Thread

Grimm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius B-Front, Mobius A-Rear
Just thought I would start a thread to discuss the new 1.20 FW. I wanted to keep it out of the giant Mobius thread where it is sure to get lost.

Early adopters please comment when you have time to give it a bit of a test.

I think this feedback would be useful to users as well as the Gods of Mobius.

I will start off by saying I will be installing the new FW today and be testing this week.

Yes, this thread is a bit premature ;)

crikey!
turn you back for two minutes :)
I only just downloaded 1.17
what's new in 1.18, 1.19, 1.20?

Does anyone know what changes we're supposed to see?

From http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27855534&postcount=8193 ...

I just posted FW v1.20 for download. This FW has a fix for the incorrectly rendered Narrow, 180 deg. rotate video, a much more accurate battery status LED flashing sequencing, and new code to accommodate the Android External Webcam app authored by therau2000.

There is also new memory card communication code! This code has shown to work with the memory cards available to the developer and FW beta testers. Obviously we do not have access to the cards which have been problematic with the entire user base. Some worked with FW v1.13, but not FW v1.17, and vice versa. We're hopeful v1.20 will work with more of these problematic cards, but only users who have these cards can determine that. So, we'd like to hear if problem cards work with the new firmware or not. You can post your feedback here. If you still have a card that will not work, please test it first with h2testw.exe program if you have access to a Windows PC. If it checks out OK, post this confirmation along with the card brand name, Speed class, and capacity. I have left FW v1.13 and v1.17 available for download until new communication code is proven.

I made the leap of faith and have been running v.1.20 for a couple of days in both of my cameras. So far, smooth sailing. I have yet do any extended video quality testing, especially at night but functionally everything works well.

Think I'll just leave mine, until I take it out car and can be bothered :D

@Dashmellow - I take it updating the capacitor Mobius was ok? I've not experienced a Mobius update yet

Think I'll just leave mine, until I take it out car and can be bothered :D

@Dashmellow - I take it updating the capacitor Mobius was ok? I've not experienced a Mobius update yet

Yes, everything went fine. I posted about this in the Mobius Super Capacitor thread yesterday evening which would have been after doing the update, now that I think about it.

Updated mine to 1.20 yesterday, it did not fix my issue when my 64 Gb Sd Card is full.
Other than that my mobius still perform sweet :)

Fixes in 1.20 are.
- fix for the incorrectly rendered Narrow, 180 deg. rotate video,
- a much more accurate battery status LED flashing sequencing,
- and new code to accommodate the Android External Webcam app authored by therau2000.
There is also new memory card communication code! This code has shown to work with the memory cards available to the developer and FW beta testers.

Last edited:
Updated today, so far no problems.

Therau2000's new live view app is absolutely amazing. You can get live view from your Android phone and record pictures and video to your phones memory. Very nice app and another improvement of v1.20

It has certainly fixed the incorrect rendering of Narrow 180 degree rotate video. I'll be giving it a good test in my 4.5 hr drive today...

Updated mine to 1.20 yesterday, it did not fix my issue when my 64 Gb Sd Card is full.
Other than that my mobius still perform sweet :)

Fixes in 1.20 are.
- fix for the incorrectly rendered Narrow, 180 deg. rotate video,
- a much more accurate battery status LED flashing sequencing,
- and new code to accommodate the Android External Webcam app authored by therau2000.
There is also new memory card communication code! This code has shown to work with the memory cards available to the developer and FW beta testers.
The developer is aware of the 64GB loop recording issue. However, if you use a Sandisk 64GB card you most likely won't have this problem. So far I am able to reproduce your problem using Kingston and PQI 64GB cards but not with Sandisk cards.

Has this update fixed the low light WDR mode? I haven't bothered updating yet since I needed the cam to work reliably for a few days before I can play with it again. If it does work, has anyone found it better than just leaving WDR in on mode all the time.

It has certainly fixed the incorrect rendering of Narrow 180 degree rotate video. I'll be giving it a good test in my 4.5 hr drive today...
Just a quick update following the long drive yesterday. The footage recorded with FW 1.20 was excellent in a large variation of light conditions with WDR ON. No issues to report.

Just a quick update following the long drive yesterday. The footage recorded with FW 1.20 was excellent in a large variation of light conditions with WDR ON. No issues to report.

Notice any major improvement compared to previous firmwares? I'm currently on 1.13 and wondering whether I should upgrade.

Notice any major improvement compared to previous firmwares? I'm currently on 1.13 and wondering whether I should upgrade.
I can only advise you to always upgrade to the latest firmware version. If a problem is found, it's terribly easy to downgrade ;)
Of course, if you are happy with v1.13 and don't change any parameters or use different cards then nobody's forcing you to upgrade, but if you do run into problems then don't expect any help. Old FW versions are not supported and may only be useful if you have a card compatibility issue with the latest version. Also keep in mind that minor bugs which haven't been publicly documented will likely be corrected in the latest version.

I can only advise you to always upgrade to the latest firmware version. If a problem is found, it's terribly easy to downgrade ;)
Of course, if you are happy with v1.13 and don't change any parameters or use different cards then nobody's forcing you to upgrade, but if you do run into problems then don't expect any help. Old FW versions are not supported and may only be useful if you have a card compatibility issue with the latest version. Also keep in mind that minor bugs which haven't been publicly documented will likely be corrected in the latest version.

You have just made me want to upgrade my FW :D

I've only ever had FW 1.17 loaded on mine and had adjusted the FOV to Wide to overcome the Narrow 180 degree rotate video rendering issue. Having installed the new FW 1.20 I am back to the Narrow setting (I prefer the image it provides). The overwrite function is working fine on my 32GB Kingston card, so I am very happy with things.
Big thanks to Tom Frank, Isoprop and others who have been working to re-write and test the lastest FW 1.20. :)

I've only ever had FW 1.17 loaded on mine and had adjusted the FOV to Wide to overcome the Narrow 180 degree rotate video rendering issue. Having installed the new FW 1.20 I am back to the Narrow setting (I prefer the image it provides). The overwrite function is working fine on my 32GB Kingston card, so I am very happy with things.
Big thanks to Tom Frank, Isoprop and others who have been working to re-write and test the lastest FW 1.20. :)

Thanks guys.

So, as someone asked above, does this upgrade fix the low light WDR issue?

I'm currently on 1.13, and upgrading will allow me to choose low light, where I previously didn't have the option.

I currently run WDR on in winter, and off in summer (longer light in summer) and I was told WDR can have a bad effect on daytime images, is this correct?

For dashcam users, which WDR setting would people recommend? On, off or low light?

Thanks

Thanks guys.

So, as someone asked above, does this upgrade fix the low light WDR issue?

I'm currently on 1.13, and upgrading will allow me to choose low light, where I previously didn't have the option.

I currently run WDR on in winter, and off in summer (longer light in summer) and I was told WDR can have a bad effect on daytime images, is this correct?

For dashcam users, which WDR setting would people recommend? On, off or low light?

Thanks

As for whether the new firmware fixes the issue of bright conditions blowing out the image if low light is engaged, the answer is "yes", it is fixed.

As to whether using the low light setting is actually practical and useful remains to be seen and requires some further testing. (at least for me)

Back