Mobius 1.20 Firmware Discussion Thread

I've just moved my Mobius B lens to the back of my car to make way for the Mini 0803 at the front (for the time being at least). The timing of your post re. using 'Cloudy' WB setting was great, as my car has a dark tinted rear window. Suffice to say I am now using that setting on my rear mounted Mobius B, thank you!

Setting the WB (White Balance) to "Cloudy" doesn't really do anything to effect the exposure of an image, it basically shifts the color temperature (color cast) more to the yellow and away from blue. (opposites on the RGB color chart) On a cloudy day this setting will make a scene look warmer and more pleasing. If you want to compensate for a dark tinted windscreen you really need to increase the exposure as Russ suggests. Trial & error is usually the best method to arrive at the optimum setting.

To see an excellent example of the difference between an "auto" white balance setting switched to a warmer "Cloudy" setting see this LINK. Ken Rockwell offers a good explanation of how white balance works.

It may not be the optimal solution for your dark tint, in which case experimenting with the 'Exposure' slide might yield better results?
Setting the WB (White Balance) to "Cloudy" doesn't really do anything to effect the exposure of an image, it basically shifts the color temperature (color cast) more to the yellow and away from blue. (opposites on the RGB color chart) On a cloudy day this setting will make a scene look warmer and more pleasing. If you want to compensate for a dark tinted windscreen you really need to increase the exposure as Russ suggests. Trial & error is usually the best method to arrive at the optimum setting.
To see an excellent example of the difference between an "auto" white balance setting switched to a warmer "Cloudy" setting see this LINK. Ken Rockwell offers a good explanation of how white balance works.
I've yet to find out what setting (WB and/or exposure) will be best for the rearward facer, due our somewhat rainy 'valleys', but it's always handy to have a good starting point and direction to head towards, thanks.;)

Last edited:
I've yet to find out what setting (WB and/or exposure) will be best for the rearward facer, due our somewhat rainy 'valleys', but it's always handy to have a good starting point and direction to head towards, thanks.;)

Like I said, trial and error will get you there. Depending on your particular window tint it may be that a combination of exposure and WB adjustment is what is needed.

I will be experimenting with the 'Exposure' slide, but I don't think it's as simple as selecting say +1 EV compensation on a DSLR. Tom Frank wrote...

'There aren't EV settings in the GUI, nor are any planned, but that doesn't mean you can't get an equivalent exposure using the small steps on the slider control. The one exception is the first step or two on the + side, which add too much exposure. I'm hopeful that can be addressed in a future FW'.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28165212&postcount=9036

Like I said, trial and error will get you there. Depending on your particular window tint it may be that a combination of exposure and WB adjustment is what is needed.
I've tried Auto & Cloudy WB (White Balance) and then +1 Exposure with both these WB settings.... turns out 'my' best setting will be to leave it on 'Auto' WB & '0' Exposure, i.e., back to square one! Ho-hum, "Nothing ventured nothing gained" as they say somewhere!

I will be experimenting with the 'Exposure' slide, but I don't think it's as simple as selecting say +1 EV compensation on a DSLR. Tom Frank wrote...
'There aren't EV settings in the GUI, nor are any planned, but that doesn't mean you can't get an equivalent exposure using the small steps on the slider control. The one exception is the first step or two on the + side, which add too much exposure. I'm hopeful that can be addressed in a future FW'.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28165212&postcount=9036
Our resident 'Yoda' Russ has his Oracle finely tuned-in, yet again....:D
Experimenting with +1 Exposure leaves me looking overexposed, which is never a good look!!:p

Sounds like "auto" is doing its job for your particular situation. "Nothing ventured nothing gained" is a good approach. I think it's part of why the Mobius is such a fun camera to experiment with. Then again, here in New England we have an old expression, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Our resident 'Yoda' Russ has his Oracle finely tuned-in, yet again....:D
Experimenting with +1 Exposure leaves me looking overexposed, which is never a good look!!:p
Next is to experiment with angles. I know mine gets brighter with a downward tilt. Keep in mind also, what looks good to one person may not be as good to the next. Which is why the "Best Dashcam" topics have so many different opinions.

I posted the below in the "Unreliable Ignition On Recording" thread but thought I'd add it here as well. For me it seems to be directly related to V1.20 .

I had my first Mobius problem last week after going to 1.20 . My car has keyless start (ie. push button) and when you shut if off it kills everything (ie. engine and ACC power). You can't turn the engine off and go straight to ACC- like with a traditional keyed ignition system.

So, I turned the engine off and then immediately wanted to listen to the radio - so pushed the "START" button to get ACC power on. However, both Mobius shut down and failed to restart. I've definitely performed the same procedure with older firmware versions and not had this problem. The Mobius are powered from ACC power.

I am really having problems since upgrading to 1.20, it keeps freezing, the orange and red lights flash rapidly together, then it crashes then turns off. sometimes it will work for 10 minutes, but last night it would only record for 80 seconds before locking up. Over night I have done a full wroteover format on my Sandisk 32gb card, fully charged the mobious, and am going to try it out again today. If this continues, I will go back to 1.7 where it has always been perfect.

I am really having problems since upgrading to 1.20, it keeps freezing, the orange and red lights flash rapidly together, then it crashes then turns off. sometimes it will work for 10 minutes, but last night it would only record for 80 seconds before locking up. Over night I have done a full wroteover format on my Sandisk 32gb card, fully charged the mobious, and am going to try it out again today. If this continues, I will go back to 1.7 where it has always been perfect.
Better go up to the latest v2.10

Your problem is a card compatibility issue. If you want to keep using your existing card you'll have to find a FW version that works with it. Even if you don't want to use v2.10, I would be interested in knowing if your card works with v2.10.
I believe, but have no means to prove, that component tolerances can play a role in which cards work in which camera. I am conducting some long-term tests and have found it makes a difference in which camera the card is inserted. I don't know if this has to do with the board's HW version or the component tolerances. The problem is that I haven't found any cards that don't work at all. All I can find is a couple of cards where the camera will stop recording after many hours of loop recording.

Well I have tried it today, and it has been fine, from short 20 second recordings to over 20 minutes in one session. I will take it out on my bike tomorrow and give it a right good work out, maybe the deep format has done the trick !

Cycled for an hour and half yesterday , no problems with the camera at all, except for the battery going at around 75 mins , so looks like I am sorted !

I didn't upgrade yet to 1.20 and it seems I will wait another version. Two issues reported on RC forum:

Tom Frank;29324144 said:
Hmmm... first time this has been reported. I just did several tests myself and it appears the only file that gets write protected in my tests is the last one in a sequence of clips! E.g. I shot about a dozen 3 min. clips, pressing the mode button to protect a few along the way, but the only one that shows as write protected is the last one in the sequence, and I did not press the Mode button during that clip at all!

Looks like a bug to me. I'll report it to the developer. Thanks for finding this.

Superflokky;29325980 said:
I've a question regarding the motion detection feature on the Mobius.
I'm trying to use it as a surveillance cam.

While motion detection is enabled and the sensitivity is set to high, I've noticed not all movements are being picked up. At the moment the camera is set-up in a dark room and whenever there's movement, the lights of the room are automatic switched on. I thought this dark-to-light situation would trigger the Mobius in detecting movement, but that's not always the case. Another strange behavior is recording when there's absolutely no movement whatsoever.

I've upgraded the Mobius to the latest 2.10 firmware.
Is that's still a bug of am I using it wrong? Thanks

Back