Mobius 1S - First Impressions

No, the result wasn't surprising. Just decided to test it, and shared here in case anyone else thought about trying it. And yes, the date reverted to 2001 or something like that.

The text that pops up when you hover over the options says you must use Immediate with a capacitor. It's a direct copy of the M1 text. I just wondered if 10s might give better auto-start reliability, by not shutting down immediately if there's a momentary power loss.

'Battery Empty' is a new option that I haven't tried.

Glad to hear that hovering over the option explains it. I wonder if there will be a dedicated M1S manual since there are some changes modest of the original firmware for the 1S?

I'm still not understanding the power off disconnect at 'Battery Empty' option logic since dead is dead. It would be the same as pulling the plug or turning the ignition off.

I suspect 'battery empty' would work a bit like a parking mode. When you turn off the ignition, the camera continues to run until the battery is empty. I reckon that's also the intention of the 'motion detect' setting. But both probably rely on monitoring the battery voltage, whereas the capacitor does not hold enough charge for any real monitoring, it can only cope with a quick but controlled shutdown.

Just my guess. Now that I have moved over to a capacitor I won't be trying those other settings.

I suspect 'battery empty' would work a bit like a parking mode. When you turn off the ignition, the camera continues to run until the battery is empty. I reckon that's also the intention of the 'motion detect' setting.

It wouldn't have occurred to me to use the camera like that as I don't like to run lithium batteries until they're flat and otherwise always use the capacitor when using a Mobius as a dash cam, but yes, I suppose one could do this.

Auto start reliability so far seems similar to the old M1. I've had one failure to auto-start on a cold morning.

Auto start reliability is an ongoing issue for me with the M1S. I don't think it is any better or worse than previous Mobius models, it just can't cope with the interruption in the 12V power to the 12V-to-USB adapter when my car engine starts.

The M1S usually turns on then sits in standby mode with a constant yellow Mode 1 LED. The problem seems to be the same whether I'm using a capacitor and immediate shutdown, or a battery and a 10-second shutdown delay.

I think I will have to find a way of connecting the M1S to my dashcam battery which provides an uninterrupted power supply, perhaps with a 2-wire hardwire kit.

Mobius M1S - Into Low Sunlight

At the weekend I found myself driving directly towards the low winter sun at about 2pm. I thought the M1S handled the exposure fairly well with decent dynamic range.

In this clip I was able to identify 11 out of 13 oncoming number plates, which is 2 more than I could read with my A139 Pro 4K HDR camera.

1440p30, 34Mbps, Saturation 75 (+25), Contrast 45 (-5), multi-spot metering

That sun,,,,,, look like a nuclear explosion far off in the distance, only it do not change into a mushroom.
But that initial fireball OMG.

I could also make out some of the plates just on the YT video, even if they was dark then they was still crisp, and i will take darkness over motion blur any day of the week.

I could also make out some of the plates just on the YT video, even if they was dark then they was still crisp, and i will take darkness over motion blur any day of the week.
Yes, YT is not the best for looking at such details.

I like some things about my A139 Pro, but tbh I reckon the M1S is giving me better bang for buck right now. The A139 Pro has so much blur that I feel I can't rely on it for everyday use.

Last edited:
Auto start reliability is an ongoing issue for me with the M1S. I don't think it is any better or worse than previous Mobius models, it just can't cope with the interruption in the 12V power to the 12V-to-USB adapter when my car engine starts.

The M1S usually turns on then sits in standby mode with a constant yellow Mode 1 LED. The problem seems to be the same whether I'm using a capacitor and immediate shutdown, or a battery and a 10-second shutdown delay.
Mobius sent me a new FW to fix this. I've been using it for over a week and so far I've had 100% reliability with auto-record on engine start, even on cold days where my car takes more than 5 seconds to start up.

I'm much happier with the M1S now that it feels like a reliable dashcam.

Misinformation, or sales are picking up?

1675944438757.png

I left my car on the driveway for almost a week. Last drive was 9:30pm on Sunday 12th. Next drive was 2pm on Saturday 18th.

Auto record worked OK, but the capacitor failed to keep the clock running to maintain the time & date:

1676801724305.png

@TonyM do you still have the comparison videos?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TonyM Mobius 1S 12
TonyM Mobius 1S 16
Back