Mobius 5MP Varifocal Zoom 6-22mm ƒ/1.6

This 6-22mm lens is working very well on the new Mobius Maxi, with remarkable depth of field and lots of detail at 2704x1524 resolution.

y4mK5CnrCErqKzTkmk1pp73EtUAXMPHyB7PtVR7gmMRQfx2UChUcoCyxUYWF9JFKNX3_p3p0LyaTFnJcxm1MRs_N09Xvt0tF8bPaR5XFuAslEoszmhiBkHd_s_c_9DDPaSyLqjCnzEV1b45DMeQDFYPbTfuEJMYtkMmJZvp7lDHumoNQvR6syVIz-ONRj6c8Si7ME4JHw-EU81H3_7tyZP5FQ

y4mssr2ucjfb3tpofmZFeodjAq4mVnj8Ym3lupq4gXfb1mQ6p9l6bYnHG48x5ZI6gB7Eecdl8W0YHwXJna2I1AMJkNFVJxjXcSYAMmmWf-aPpPimnpFnX0CZTdf6PpBYtMWcEw7B9qmW8gQfjqe5LKcpaiDVsBdZ0L89SvH_fhfhIyNzUCmovFRr5dMQJdnyWTvsmunXBcLU798xExKBasC_A

The 6-22mm is set to more than half way through the zoom range. To give some context to the amount of zoom in this image, here is the same scene recorded on a Mobius 1 with C2 lens.
M1C_0854.MOV_20180629_142325.305.jpg

At night, the Maxi with 6-22mm again proves to be a good combination. The greater dynamic range and tendency of the Maxi to expose for the highlights means that details such as number plates and road signs are easier to read than with the Mobius 1 using the same lens.

Junction approach
y4mbBVCtkJyijEvjDomzAgBueywnMdjpqTcOsp0ibWV2N92jWGqRA2s4_C3mRuqtCELtCwV4cc86XIWW6m_TVpxH77vkrPplVy45LyRKwHmxoIfOSL3SgCeA5_0c86RYtKvrmXbdAd5rJEY3AoKuB6a6isw7jpIW6QGnVdPaguP7prWOx9ihHeU3fNX44a5eE2s3N_skFLxe2mBbthXVo3MbA

Stationary at Junction
y4mslsuUivkWXMeWQq0ywSmusHcFotN2nJoE6QPx2qt5mGKfXdi3pDbhdxAmerN0bt0qD9u6qvxOcvTvBLfkJyeZrZHqXU9MffFEgaeSkjTOoQik6Qs4SyMzfuwIjsTAaKoiK9XW0NtfqfA50kcBotVYur_0Ysdjs-kI4FsRT4H6XDvzcILY42I2HVJTr0pCPZs85bgKxnHuefeX711f9e34g

Last edited:
What is the point of comparing the Maxi with this varifocal lens on it to a Mobius 1 with a C2 lens? Since this is a thread about the 6-22mm varifocal ƒ/1.6 lens it would be far more instructive to see a direct comparison of the M1 with the varifocal and the Maxi with the same lens, recording the same scene, under the same lighting.

As they haven't released the maxi yet, I'm guessing he hasn't got two sample cameras to put side by side. A pity, but good results nevertheless Tony.

As the 2.7K sensor is near the top of the sensor's resolution, would also be interesting to see the effects of a higher resolution lens. Whilst the lens is the correct resolution for a 2.7K sensor, it's as I said elsewhere, down scaled video always seems sharper and more saturated than native resolution, so as an experiment, it would be very interesting to see if there were any gains to be had from a high quality 10mp+ lens, although without exactly matching all the parameters it might be difficult to tell if any gains were from resolution or less distortion / better coatings etc.

Last edited:
As they haven't released the maxi yet, I'm guessing he hasn't got two sample cameras to put side by side. A pity, but good results nevertheless Tony.

As the 2.7K sensor is near the top of the sensor's resolution, would also be interesting to see the effects of a higher resolution lens. Whilst the lens is the correct resolution for a 2.7K sensor, it's as I said elsewhere, down scaled video always seems sharper and more saturated than native resolution, so as an experiment, it would be very interesting to see if there were any gains to be had from a high quality 10mp+ lens, although without exactly matching all the parameters it might be difficult to tell if any gains were from resolution or less distortion / better coatings etc.

FYI, the Maxi has been available for purchase for at least a month now. Also, I wasn't suggesting a comparison of two Maxi cameras but a comparison between the Mobius 1 and the Maxi fitted with the same lens. In fact, TonyM has two identical 6-22mm lenses at his disposal because he got Treeye to replace the one he knocked the IR filter off of. And BTW, FWIW, Tony does have more than one Maxi at his disposal as well, AFAIK.

I get more and more hooked on these "in your face" lenses / cameras, i also have a couple of pinhole lenses ( 15 mm and 45 mm ) i am thinking of procuring some IR filters for those and give them a spin.

Only 1 minus i can recall, using a 15 mm lens or so in the back of my car, aiming it is most imperative as otherwise you will have the side of the car behind you and not the driver too, not least as people also often dont drive the exact same line.
I had problems as back then my setup was analog and my rear camera was a board CCTV camera strapped to the back seat center head rest, going of glass / hatch frame should make sure aiming will be less problematic.
I am going to try my 8 mm in the rear one day, and see if that isent the best of both worlds for that use.
I did try the Innovv C3 90 degree lens on a mobius in the back, and while good it was not quite what i expected

What is the point of comparing the Maxi with this varifocal lens on it to a Mobius 1 with a C2 lens? Since this is a thread about the 6-22mm varifocal ƒ/1.6 lens it would be far more instructive to see a direct comparison of the M1 with the varifocal and the Maxi with the same lens, recording the same scene, under the same lighting.
I was going to post just the Maxi images. Then I decided to add the M1 images to give some context, rather than a comparison which was perhaps a poor choice of wording. I'll delete the M1 images.

I was going to post just the Maxi images. Then I decided to add the M1 images to give some context, rather than a comparison which was perhaps a poor choice of wording. I'll delete the M1 images.

I'm not sure deleting anything was necessary, I was just sayin' that we might benefit from comparing the same lens on both cameras.

I've been in the process of evaluating the Maxi and I'll have more to say about it at another time in the appropriate thread. The Maxi has a lot going for it but it also has what I feel are some serious IQ flaws. For instance, it yields unusually noisy images, even in bright sunlight. Results from the Mobius 1 are far superior in that regard.

Here is a rough example. These are straightforward crops from both the Mobius 1 and the Maxi at 100% magnification with the 6-22mm varifocal.

The Maxi image shows an abundance of noise. Note the severe "graininess" in the van's rear window. (especially if you zoom in a little, where you will also see artifacts of over-sharpening)
maxi2.jpg

The Mobius 1 image is clean, sharp and clear, even on an overcast day. No noise.
m1-vari2.jpg

Here we have another example.
m1-varifocal.jpg

One of the remarkable things about this varifocal lens on the Mobius 1 is the stunning visual acuity and sharpness that is achieved in nearly every image.

The same lens on the Maxi seems to bring out its imaging flaws.

So, what would be interesting to see is the same scene captured with both the M1 and the Maxi with the 6-22mm varifocal.

Last edited:
I'm not sure deleting anything was necessary, I was just sayin' that we might benefit from comparing the same lens on both cameras.

I've been in the process of evaluating the Maxi and I'll have more to say about it at another time in the appropriate thread. The Maxi has a lot going for it but it also has what I feel are some serious IQ flaws. For instance, it yields unusually noisy images, even in bright sunlight. Results from the Mobius 1 are far superior in that regard.

He is a rough example. These are straightforward crops from both the Mobius 1 and the Maxi at 100% magnification with the 6-22mm varidfocal.

The Maxi image shows an abundance of noise. Note the severe "graininess" in the van's rear window. (especially if you zoom in a little, where you will also see artifacts of over-sharpening)
View attachment 39388

The Mobius 1 image is clean, sharp and clear, even on an overcast day. No noise.
View attachment 39389

Here we have another example.
View attachment 39387

One of the remarkable things about this varifocal lens on the Mobius 1 is the stunning visual acuity and sharpness that is achieved in nearly every image.

The same lens on the Maxi seems to bring out its imaging flaws.

So, what would be interesting to see is the same scene captured with both the M1 and the Maxi with the 6-22 varifocal.

That was a really good catch, I see exactly what you are talking about. :cool:

Have you tried the lower end of the 6-22 lens (6), does the quality carry over ?

Last edited:
Yup, I'd like to see the Varifocal on the M1 and Maxi side by side as well.
It's on my long list of things that I want to try. I'll have to buy and fit an IR-cut filter on one lens, and probably swap the lens holder on a Maxi to do it.

OK. I'll put one back in, just to give context to the amount of zoom.

It's on my long list of things that I want to try. I'll have to buy and fit an IR-cut filter on one lens, and probably swap the lens holder on a Maxi to do it.

Why not just do a static shot, say in your back yard on a tripod. First do one with the 6-22mm varifocal on the Maxi and then the same scene with the lens on the M1?

I've been thinking of doing exactly that but somehow I haven't wanted to mess with the Maxi during my evaluation. Also, I haven't had much time to indulge in projects like this lately.

Why not just do a static shot, say in your back yard on a tripod. First do one with the 6-22mm varifocal on the Maxi and then the same scene with the lens on the M1?
Good point. I was thinking of driving rather than recording a static image, which blinkered my options.

If I could get video out to PC working again from the Maxi that would help, but that's not the subject of this thread.

TonyM has two identical 6-22mm lenses at his disposal because he got Treeye to replace the one he knocked the IR filter off of. And BTW, FWIW, Tony does have more than one Maxi at his disposal as well, AFAIK.
Yes, I have 2x 6-22mm lenses, one still without the IR cut filter. And yes, I have 2x Maxi cameras, a model A and a model B which have different length lens holders.

I agree that the M1 produces superior quality images to the Maxi in the examples that you have shown, and it would be my choice of camera for natural history video. As a dashcam the Maxi is better than the M1 in some areas, but certainly not all. That's why, if possible, I would like to record driving scenes with both cameras in various lighting conditions using the same lens (with the same zoom and focus point).

OK then, so order a 9.5mm IR cut filter and install it on your spare varifocal.

WTF is "natural history video"? If you mean wildlife observation imagery such as birds, insects or foxes I don't share your logic.

Yes, I have 2x 6-22mm lenses, one still without the IR cut filter. And yes, I have 2x Maxi cameras, a model A and a model B which have different length lens holders.

Are you saying you don't think you can match the BFL on the two varifocals with the two different lens holders? I can't say for sure but I think you can work around that. It would be interesting to know if the flange on both lenses can still meet the front bezel of the camera housing. That would likely eliminate any discrepancies between the two lens holders depending on how far back the sensor ends up in each.

I'm struggling to find the sweet spot for focusing, but I will continue to try. I will take onboard any constructive criticism.

Last edited:
OK then, so order a 9.5mm IR cut filter and install it on your spare varifocal.
I intend to. I am waiting to see if I want to order anything else from Treeye at the same time, so they do not have the inconvenience of packing and shipping a single filter.

As per my experience with the M1's D lens module (probably same as the Maxi's B lens module), couldn't focus the 5MP 8mm as it stopped screwing in further before focus was achieved, falls short.

Last edited:
WTF is "natural history video"? If you mean wildlife observation imagery such as birds, insects or foxes I don't share your logic.
Natural history is the study or observation of living things in their own environment.

I am willing to accept noise / grain in a dashcam video if it records sufficient detail to document a driving incident.

When I take wildlife photographs I like to have as little noise as possible. I would look for the same in a wildlife video, so I have a preference for the cleaner output from the Mobius 1.

Back