Mobius cutting out/Soild red LED when used as dash cam

Dom Dom Bear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my Mobius for a while and I am having this consistent problem. I'll turn my car on and it will give me the 3 red blinks to let me know it has started recording, then at some point (completely random points) the red LED either goes out or goes to a solid red. I have checked the SD card and both times nothing has recorded when it has done this. Some times I can do full 2 hour long car journeys and nothing happens, but some times it will do it 3 or 4 times while in a 20 min journey. Its very confusing. The 12v that it is plugged into always has the green LED to tell me that power is getting to it. I can't seem to work out what causes it or how to fix it. Its annoying having to keep pulling the USB out the back and plugging it back in mid-journey,

If anyone could help that would be great :)

Usually solid red is SD card related. Try another card and that should solve it

Is it at night or in bad light condition the LED turns solid red? If so it is probably because you have enabled "Motion Detect" and the camera can't detect any motion, hence the red light indication.

I can provide some potentially useful information for anyone still using this little camera. I have two that are still working since 2014. I found when trying to use one with the built in USB socket in my partner’s fiesta that I was getting a solid red light. It’s because the voltage is wrong. If you use a 12v lighter socket and converter to USB then it works.

If you mean in the Fieste trying to power it from a build in USB port, that to indeed often create problems, and should be avoided.

If you mean in the Fieste trying to power it from a build in USB port, that to indeed often create problems, and should be avoided.
Yes, exactly that. I just assumed that a dedicated USB would be useful for this, but obviously not.
I use these two Mobius cameras in my partners car and in hire cars when we go on holiday.
I have a Tesla, now, but am still thinking about adding a dashcam for sound as it adds context in certain situations.

No, some how the in car USB ports are often very / extremely weak, and so it would probably take days to charge your phone up, the build in USB port is so weak that if your phone was connected and you also used it for navigating the phone screen would use so much power that the phone would discharge while in use even if connected to the "charger"

I experienced the same using my 7" tablet for navigation, on a 1 A USB charger the tablet would slowly discharge while navigating, but on a 2 A port it can keep up and even charge ever so slowly while in use. But at least i could go for a 24 hour drive and use navigation all the time.

I do think the build in ports in cars are more like connecting a thumb drive with your MP3 music on

I also hear many newer cars have build in wireless charging, though here too there are of course a lot of different charge rates, as i see it in a car it cant really be charging too fast as you might just be on a short drive when you notice your electronic addiction are on 30% battery.
Personally i use my phone so little that i can make do with charging it in the car, on a 2 A port,,,,,, i really do dislike that damn thing, and i hate the world / my country ( Denmark ) to more or less force me to have a phone.

Back