Mobius Issues

Raj123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

After my old mobius packed p, I bought a new one - and put a supercapacitor inside to use as a dashcam.

I have configured it properly using Msetup, - Auto record is set to both, and Power off Disconnect is immediate.

However, the problem is - sometimes when turning the car on - it will record - and sometimes it wont.

The times it doesnt record , it does get power, as upon startup - there are the 3 red leds that come on - but after that it doesn't record. Pressing any buttons won't do anything.

It used to record fine when having a battery inside.

What could be the problem? Is the capacitor faulty?

Thanks

Is this a diesel car?
No it is a petrol.
Upon turning on ignition, the 3 led flashes come but it doesnt start recording automatically.
If I turn on and off the ignition 2-3 times, on the 3rd time it will start recording automatically?

Does anyone know what I can do to make it start recording on the first time? When it had a battery in, it would always start recording on the first turn of ignition

Try firmware version 2.33, if it still does what you described, definitely a faulty capacitor.

Try firmware version 2.33, if it still does what you described, definitely a faulty capacitor.
Thanks Harsh bhai. Will see what firmware its on and update. I think its on 2.33 anyway but will check. If not will contact ebay sellervqbout capacitor

Thanks Harsh bhai. Will see what firmware its on and update. I think its on 2.33 anyway but will check. If not will contact ebay sellervqbout capacitor

Before you install 2.33, reset the camera and install/reinstall 2.41, could be that it just needs a firmware reset.

Hi guys quick update.

Updating and downgrading the firmware made no difference.

I also tried outting in the battery - and it behaves the same as when it had the capacitor inside.

When connecting it to external power - it will power on the do the 3 red flashses. however, it doesnt start recording automatically even though auto record is set to both.

The camera then won't respond to buttons - and you have to press the reset button for it to work. Sometimes after pressing the reset button - the blue light flashes, and it starts recording automatically. When turning it off - and turning it on again - it does the above.

This is my second mobius and im extremely dissapointed. All the camera ribbon cables are seated properly and I have tried different USB cables

@jokiin @Dashmellow @Isoprop

Could it be some power issues like many have reported? Bad power can result in odd behavior from electronic. Could have contributed to your previous Mobius early demise. Many of the car adapters are of dubious quality, expecially if you are using a long and thin cable to the camera.

An easy way to check would be to run the camera at home using a suitably sized USB power brick (good quality supply with at least 1 A capacity).

The first thing I would try at this point is a different memory card, freshly formatted in mSetup. I might also double check the module cables for good measure.

Also, check to make sure there is no issue with the cable or USB mini-B port at the back of the camera. Make sure there is no lint or dirt inside the plugs or mini-B port or any other problems. I suggested this to a guy here one time who had a similar problem and he came back to report that he found a wad of lint inside the plug and after removing it with a toothpick and some compressed air everything was back to normal. Also, I encountered a similar problem with my first Mobius where sometimes the camera would power up and work perfectly and other times it would just power up, show three RED flashes on the rear LED and then nothing would happen. Other times it would run fine but just stop working for no apparent reason. It took a long time to finally track down the problem which turned out to be a hairline crack on the plastic pin receptacle inside the mini-B USB port. I don't know if the camera was shipped to me that way or if the problem was self inflicted by a yanked cable (which I suspect) but in the end I had to buy a new PCB. Since your problem sounds somewhat similar, it's at least worth looking into. As for the cable, the easiest way to troubleshoot would be to try a different cable and see if anything changes.

mini-B-port.jpg

Last edited:
I also tried outting in the battery - and it behaves the same as when it had the capacitor inside.
it's rare to have this happen when using battery, might be a faulty PCB, can happen, see what the seller says I guess

Yeah, it could well turn out to be the PCB but the thing with the Mobius is that nine times out of ten it's something else. The thing to do is slowly and methodically go through the various trouble shooting procedures to eliminate all the possibilities until you can finally conclude that the PCB or some other part has indeed failed. (like a cracked USB port)

Yeah, it could well turn out to be the PCB but the thing with the Mobius is that nine times out of ten it's something else. The thing to do is slowly and methodically go through the various trouble shooting procedures to eliminate all the possibilities until you can finally conclude that the PCB or some other part has indeed failed. (like a cracked USB port)

I'd put the odds closer to 999 times out of 1000 it's something else, power or memory are the two usual suspects for any dashcam, from his troubleshooting so far though it's not looking positive

I'd put the odds closer to 999 times out of 1000 it's something else, power or memory are the two usual suspects for any dashcam, from his troubleshooting so far though it's not looking positive

Yeah, that's why I mentioned my hairline cracked mini USB port. The symptoms were somewhat similar. Occasionally it's some oddball thing out of left field. It's always best to exhaust all the possibilities before returning a camera.

hi Guys.

Im guessing it is a back mini usb slot, as my old mobius also started to experience problems (see my old thread). it would record fine when using the button, but upon external power would not do anything. Im guessing the quality of the part used is not good! :(

i bought my camera from banggood on the 22nd December 2017. Is it covered by any sirt of warranty? If not, can @jokiin send me a new PCB, seeing as you are the maker?

If slowly using faith in the mobius as I have spent quite a lot of money on to camera, extra batteries, and a capacitor for it.

hi Guys.

Im guessing it is a back mini usb slot, as my old mobius also started to experience problems (see my old thread). it would record fine when using the button, but upon external power would not do anything. Im guessing the quality of the part used is not good! :(

i bought my camera from banggood on the 22nd December 2017. Is it covered by any sirt of warranty? If not, can @jokiin send me a new PCB, seeing as you are the maker?

If slowly using faith in the mobius as I have spent quite a lot of money on to camera, extra batteries, and a capacitor for it.

you need to talk to the seller, nothing to do with me

It is strange that you have had very similar problems with two different mobius cameras. I would suggest that the problem is with something else like the car 12v adapter, your cables or the memory cards.

I've noticed with mine, over the years, the USB plug seems to slacken in the socket & I start to get recording issues - it starts then stops after an indeterminate time. When I notice this happening, I tend to take out the USB lead & replace it then all's good for a year or so. Not sure if the problem is with the USB or mini USB & with USB leads being so cheap, I simply throw the old one away.
Mobius 1, capacitor.

Back