Mobius M2 doesn't work when its chilly

Too many names

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius M2
My M2 is hardwired & comes on with the ignition. Except the last 2 mornings it hasn't. On both days its recorded my journey home from the station in the evening but both mornings it didn't switch on. At all. Not with the ignition or manually.

I'm in south east England so it isn't especially cold, certainly not overcoat weather. Probably high single figures at worst. Just been out today (working from home), its 13 degrees and the camera came on fine.

Is this a known issue? Is the camera faulty? Any ideas?

How is the M2 hard-wired? (What is it connected to?)
Battery or capacitor?
Do you do anything different between morning and evening routines? e.g. sit with radio on, then switch on the engine.
I can't imagine the temperature has anything to do with it. Mine started ok last week at 4deg.

Last edited:
I have not experienced any time the M2 did not start to record, but its only within the last weeks that temperatures have started to go down into the range i really dont like.

Hardwire 12v to 5v kit with a piggy back fuse on the cigarette lighter circuit (both bought from Amazon). Soldered and heat shrink wrapped connections.
Capacitor. Bought with the cam
Do you do anything different between morning and evening routines? e.g. sit with radio on, then switch on the engine.
Nope. Get in start the engine, drive off. I normally reverse off the drive but drive forward out of the space at the station. I may reverse this routine as a test.
I can't imagine the temperature has anything to do with it. Mine started ok last week at 4deg.
Me neither but this is the only variable I can identify given it happened 2 days in a row.

I'm going to try powering it from an alternative source tomorrow morning. Also considering sticking it in the fridge for an hour and seeing what happens when I take it out :D

I live in a climate where we experience extreme cold temperatures during the winter and sometimes (but not always) the Mobius 1 will not switch on immediately when the temp drops below 10 degree Fahrenheit (-12.22 Celsius). If the camera is left plugged in for about 60 seconds so that the DSP (and other circuitry) warms up slightly and then I briefly unplug and re-plug the camera back into power it always boots up as normal. I learned that this happens because the DSP is simply performing according to its rated specifications.

It is possible that the new Mobius 2 is less cold tolerant and this sounds like an issue worth watching but certainly there should not be any problems if the temperatures are well above freezing.

@Too many names, try leaving the camera plugged in for 60 seconds after it fails to start and then unplug and re-plug as I mention above. (since your camera is hardwired just unplug the camera directly, of course) See if it then starts up normally. This might help diagnose the issue.

My M2 is hardwired & comes on with the ignition. Except the last 2 mornings it hasn't. On both days its recorded my journey home from the station in the evening but both mornings it didn't switch on. At all. Not with the ignition or manually.
When you say it didn't switch on, either with ignition or manually. Did you notice that it had not switched on, then tried manually and it still would not power up? That sounds like power not reaching the camera, rather than any settings in the camera.

Have you checked the date/time on your recorded journeys? Is the capacitor retaining enough power to maintain the internal clock? If not, it might be running completely flat overnight for some reason, which could affect boot-up in the morning.

When you say it didn't switch on, either with ignition or manually. Did you notice that it had not switched on, then tried manually and it still would not power up? That sounds like power not reaching the camera, rather than any settings in the camera.

Have you checked the date/time on your recorded journeys? Is the capacitor retaining enough power to maintain the internal clock? If not, it might be running completely flat overnight for some reason, which could affect boot-up in the morning.

No, in my case, it was not a question of the camera not receiving power. What will happen is that the camera shows a solid red LED in the rear instead of blinking to indicate recording. After the camera warms up slightly it will then begin recording as usual with a blinking rear red LED.

The time and date are not effected by the cold weather and the capacitor keeps it that way. The issue is a frozen processor that is below its rated temperature specification.

Keep in mind I'm talking about extreme sub freezing weather here and it was the M1.

I have seen -40 before. -20 f at night is certainly expected. I am far more concerned with cold weather starting than with hot weather busting batteries.

Is there a temperature rating chart for the M2 ?

Both. Initially with the ignition then, having noticed, manually at the station (unplugging/re-plugging).

Ah, I didn't know the capacitor also maintained the clock. That does make sense - its left longer overnight than during the day - however the date and time on the camera is correct.

How long does it take to re-charge the capacitor? Drive to the station tends to be quicker than the drive home (6-7 mins vs. 10 mins+). It could be getting really low I guess.

I checked this morning, 8 degrees Celsius (according to both the car and Nest - nice to see them agreeing :)), and the cam started OK. I had however used the car yesterday evening. I'm away for a couple of days so won't be using the car. It'll be interesting to see if it switches on when I get back.

Good question!

Yes, but @Too many names hasn't answered it yet! Maybe he thinks it's a silly question because cams don't run on diesel.

As you know, I've spent some time looking at issues with the Mobius (capacitor) in my diesel.

Time = 0s, put key in ignition, 12v supply turns on, Mobius starts to power up, car initialising and glow plugs heating.
Time = 1s, Mobius powering up, car initialising.
Time = 2s, as above.
Time = 3s, as above.
Time = 4s, as above.
Time = 5s, Mobius starts recording, car initialising.
Time = 6s, Mobius recording, car initialising.
Time = 7s, Mobius recording, car ready.
Time = 8s, car engine cranks, 12v supply is cut or drops, Mobius with 'immediate' P-O-D thinks it's time to shut down.
Time = 9s, car cranking, Mobius shutting down.
Time = 10s, car running, 12v supply back on, Mobius completing its shutdown procedure.
Time = 11s, car running, Mobius Off.
Time = 12s, car running, Mobius doesn't receive another power fluctuation to trigger startup, so remains off the whole journey despite 12v power being available.

As for cap charge time of the Mobius mk1 (C2), if Power-Off-Disconnect is set to immediate, 25s is the minimum that allows a proper shut down and probably a few seconds more to charge enough for holding date and time while powered down so let's say 30s. I tried further tests and found that the cap doesn't have enough power to reliably shut down if P-O-D is set to 10s .

I have noticed that the M2 shutdown process takes a lot longer than it does in the M1, just by looking at when the lights go out. That's with both cameras set to "immediate" power off disconnect.
The M2 startup process is also longer than the M1. I've not yet tested whether the M2 continues to initialise if the power drops momentarily during during startup.

If the date/time are correct then the capacitor is not being drained, which is normal as it should be able to run the internal clock for many days without being recharged.

Yes, but @Too many names hasn't answered it yet! Maybe he thinks it's a silly question because cams don't run on diesel.
Missed that. Its not a diesel fortunately :)

I'm think the temperature is a red herring and its an intermittent fault with the 12v->5v converter (I know its not the circuit as I had my phone on charge and the cam is piggy-backed off the same circuit). It didn't turn on when I set off later (having successfuly turned on first thing) or tried manually pulling the cable (plenty of opportunity round the M25 in rush hour :)). It did however start when I stopped for petrol an hour and a half into the journey. I'm going to order a new converter. Any recommendations (ideally Amazon UK delivered with Prime)?

Last edited:
Missed that. Its not a diesel fortunately :)

I'm think the temperature is a red herring and its an intermittent fault with the 12v->5v converter (I know its not the circuit as I had my phone on charge and the cam is piggy-backed off the same circuit). It didn't turn on when I set off later or tried manually pulling the cable (plenty of opportunity round the M25 in rush hour :)). It did however start when I stopped for petrol an hour and a half into the journey. I'm going to order a new converter. Any recommendations (ideally Amazon UK delivered with Prime)?

A lot of 12v-to-5v converters or 12v sockets aren't a great fit and wriggle loose. I find a ring of blu-tac helps seat adapters securely. I also find Transcend's dashcam adapters are a more secure fit in a wide range of sockets than most dashcam adapters. Search Amazon for 'Transcend Car Lighter Adapter'.
Oh - downside of Transcend's adapter is that the L-shaped end goes to the left and gets in the way of removing the memory card in the Mobius 1 so if you remove the card a lot it's a chore to get the card out without pulling the power cable out (which will eventually loosen the connection to the cam).

A lot of 12v-to-5v converters or 12v sockets aren't a great fit and wriggle loose. I find a ring of blu-tac helps seat adapters securely. I also find Transcend's dashcam adapters are a more secure fit in a wide range of sockets than most dashcam adapters. Search Amazon for 'Transcend Car Lighter Adapter'.
Oh - downside of Transcend's adapter is that the L-shaped end goes to the left and gets in the way of removing the memory card in the Mobius 1 so if you remove the card a lot it's a chore to get the card out without pulling the power cable out (which will eventually loosen the connection to the cam).

I agree about 12v-to-5v converters not making a tight enough fit. I tried blu-tack but for me at least it wasn't a good long term solution. I ended up using two very small dabs of heat gun glue on either side of the shaft part of the adapter. Once the glue hardens, it requires some judicious adjustment by trimming with a sharp blade. The adapters are now rock solid so that when I remove the USB plugs they don't budge and if and when I wish to remove the adapters I don't end up with any blu-tack stuck to the receptacle.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went for a Nextbase hard wire kit (Amazon item B00XHYSQAC) in the end. A bit more expensive but it will hopefully be more reliable than the cheap but well reviewed one I bought first time round. I'll fit it at the weekend and report back.

Well, I installed the Nextbase hard wire kit at the weekend and I'm pleased to report that the cam has performed faultlessly since including 3 early morning starts :)

Thanks for all the sterling advice :cool:

Back