Mobius Maxi F1.5 2.7k

@TonyM . However I do have another question Tony, What is the distance between the Maxi's lens mount screw holes into the ribbon housing with the B lens which should be the same for both lens types, please don't tell me its 18mm like on the Mobius 1, They are almost impossible to find!!
It is 18mm. Mobius don't seem to have any trouble finding them....

Seeing battery in case makes me think there is plenty of room for a Capacitor, so I don't foresee them having any problems with completing this part of the project.
Yes, plenty of room for a capacitor

Last edited:
Mobius 1 (C2) / Maxi (B) / Maxi (A)

1529328697426.png

Tests and comparisons coming soon... :)

Last edited:
It is 18mm. Mobius don't seem to have any trouble finding them....

Well try giving it a go and let me know what you find in metal with a screw to hold/lock the lens in.

Well if you find a metal base, the hole & thread for the lens "lock" screw you can always make yourself.

My 12 mm just fixed with Teflon thread tape seem to stay in place fine.

Well if you find a metal base, the hole & thread for the lens "lock" screw you can always make yourself.

My 12 mm just fixed with Teflon thread tape seem to stay in place fine.

I agree that one could be modified, but you shouldn't have to! They are well aware of people wanting to use lenses of their choice, but seem to want to fight the idea!
If you try to buy one from Mobius it's big NO, unless you buy a new ribbon cable, lens, and mount combo, when all you need is a metal lens mount.

Last edited:
Well try giving it a go and let me know what you find in metal with a screw to hold/lock the lens in.

Plastic 18mm M12 lens module barrels are fairly easy to find. In metal as an aftermarket product they seem as rare as unicorns.

Grub screws like the ones that come on the Mobius are available at any decent hardware store or online. You can then buy the appropriate size drill bit and install your own set screw in a lens holder.

The simplest thing to do to secure a focused lens in place is just use a tiny dab of UV cement.

Yes i would not focus too hard on the locking screw solution, while elegant and all, then you can still do good with other almost as easy solutions.
My thread tape was really just a temp solution, but i am a lazy SOB so it have been in play for a long time now.
As i understand it some of the composite / plastic mounts are also just as good as a metal one.

If you swap lenses often or just change focus (fixed lens) for different photo opportunities, the grub screw is a pain in the neck.
If it's a set it and forget it application, it's fine.

If you swap lenses often or just change focus (fixed lens) for different photo opportunities, the grub screw is a pain in the neck.
If it's a set it and forget it application, it's fine.

Many of us who have been refocusing or swapping out Mobius lenses have gotten used to the grub screw. Actually, as the only camera on the market designed to be user focusable, I for one have been happy to have it. You probably don't know this but the original Mobius even ships with the proper sized Allen wrench. :)

Last edited:
Do you have to open the case with the original Mobius to get to the grub screw?

kapton tape is a pretty standard method, what looks to be 4 caps seemed an odd choice though

I guess it depends on the caps values. I remember back when I was shopping around for super-capacitors among electronics suppliers. There were thousands available but finding ones small enough to fit the Mobius (or other small cameras) that would provide enough current was nearly impossible.

I guess it depends on the caps values. I remember back when I was shopping around for super-capacitors among electronics suppliers. There were thousands available but finding ones small enough to fit the Mobius (or other small cameras) that would provide enough current was nearly impossible.

yeah would need to know what value they are, larger values aren't necessarily an advantage though, you have more reserve power but they take longer to charge which can be a problem with the boot process

Yes, plenty of room for a capacitor
View attachment 39112

I was hoping that the capacitors would not fill the housing. The Mobius 1 capacitor pack was so small that it left room to glue magnets to the inside of the cover. Is this the final size?

Back