Mobius Maxi F1.5 2.7k

Tonight I installed my f1.6 6-22mm varifocal lens on a Maxi. In return, I have installed the fast F1.5 Maxi lens onto a Mobius 1.

View attachment 39303
I really like your idea of switching the maxi lens (1.5) to the Mobius 1 and the varifocal 6-22 to the Maxi, you are really giving the Maxi and Mobius 1 a great workout/review:):cool:.

@TonyM I just noticed something on the front of your Maxi lens just off center, in your above family portrait of the Mobius family. It's probably just a piece of lint or something, hope that's not a scratch though!

@TonyM I just noticed something on the front of your Maxi lens just off center, in your above family portrait of the Mobius family. It's probably just a piece of lint or something, hope that's not a scratch though!
It's just a small internal reflection, similar to the 'halo' around the middle of the C2 lens.

It's just a small internal reflection, similar to the 'halo' around the middle of the C2 lens.
Good, didn't want to not tell you, you never know about these things!

This discussion is just what I needed. I've been shopping for a dashcam for motorcycle use, and looking at the Mobius Maxi as it appears to be one of the few dashcams that delivers on better-than-1080p without costing US$600.

Do we still not know what sensor is used in the Mobius Maxi? I've run across other cams that claim 2.7k or even 4k mode but are simply upsampling from a 2 MP or less sensor. Seems that is not the case here, though, just based on the screenshots. I note you can actually read license plates from what looks like 20m away, at night, which is impressive, even though the car park has some lighting.

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on comparing the Mobius Maxi with say the Innovv C5 system. That one maxes out at 1080p. I've viewed some raw video files (it records in the .ts format), and been a little disappointed. Generally, I can't make out license plates outside what looks like at most perhaps 10m, even in broad daylight.

Is the capacitor version of the Mobius Maxi available yet? I think it might be the better choice for my application, because I live in the desert.

Could still be OK. I rarely encounter rain (again, desert) and there's the weather cover.

Sensor is 2.7k native resolution.

My capacitor testing is going well. I hope Mobius will be making it available soon.

I don't have any experience of the C5. The Maxi has better performance than any 1080p camera I have tested in terms of motion blur and number plate capture. However it does write large 60Mbps files and needs a fast card for the highest quality at 2.7k.

I am inclined to think i have to adjust the focus a little on the MAXI, it seem a tad close focussed to me.

My capacitor testing is going well. I hope Mobius will be making it available soon.

I don't have any experience of the C5. The Maxi has better performance than any 1080p camera I have tested in terms of motion blur and number plate capture. However it does write large 60Mbps files and needs a fast card for the highest quality at 2.7k.

What about using a lower bitrate?

what web progam do you use when adjusting, i cant seem to get microsofts kamera app to work, so for now i have gone with trial and trial again, and i think i have hit a sweeter spot now.

what web progam do you use when adjusting, i cant seem to get microsofts kamera app to work, so for now i have gone with trial and trial again, and i think i have hit a sweeter spot now.
Until recently I was using the Microsoft Camera app in Windows 10, on both my work PC and personal laptop. Now I cannot get the Maxi to connect in webcam mode with either computer. Because it was working before, I don't think it's a camera problem. Rather, I think something happened in a recent Win10 update. In device manager, I just see 'Mobius' as an audio device rather than a camera, which might explain why the Camera app can't see it. It could be a driver issue, but I don't know how to fix it.

I will ask the guys at Mobius if they have experienced the same problem.

A capacitor is a must for dashcam use. Hopefully the option becomes available soon.

How would you compare the night footage of the mobius maxi to the g1w-s and the a119s which have a sensor designed for night use?
If the mobius good for dark night use with only headlights illuminating anything?

My G1w-s sees better at night than I do.

Tony,
VLC media player.
But,
you will have to give an exception in the virus protection for the .exe.

...My capacitor testing is going well. I hope Mobius will be making it available soon. ...
If there is any way, please find the smallest possible capacitor in size. We can then stick magnets inside the cover to use the Maxi with magnetic mounts. By the way, what's the size of the capacitor you are testing?

Perhaps dumb question, but is it possible to connect the Maxi to a smartphone and display the video somehow? As a USB OTG device I suppose?

If there is a way to view live video, that would help hugely with mounting/aiming the camera. Trial and error would take a lot longer.

I see that there is a Mobius Android app to do something like this, but not sure it works with the Maxi.

Last edited:
Perhaps dumb question, but is it possible to connect the Maxi to a smartphone and display the video somehow? As a USB OTG device I suppose?

If there is a way to view live video, that would help hugely with mounting/aiming the camera. Trial and error would take a lot longer.

I see that there is a Mobius Android app to do something like this, but not sure it works with the Maxi.

I'm happy to report that live view from the Maxi does work with the Android app and a USB OTG cable. However I cannot get the app to adjust the Maxi settings. This is not surprising, since the app was last updated long before the Maxi was released.

Maxi Lens A vs Lens B - Sample Videos

Daytime
https://mega.nz/#!zw5RGSKD!pJPE1G1jPp2SxQZRZTqfAmTfQkrfFHssLLfaaaHi_fo

y4muIjMxL1TLrZGAQ6vEJz0J3NORLtRbHkBcNlnDXNT7ZJmczGtvyqYiFo6k4Lpv3ehOgAAG3tThMW04O39MccoTHni9QBr0oyxWdqO6hFuClZLXO9nxZoTp0D1EH6Or82ThIgHIEXJTeEVa2ENCialIJDWCEsupEBAHTzTQh8i8tOP3zIkzXQYDEYUK24g-z-6JtrXxlNiiCDMfPYuYGiZrA

y4m21MtBrFQ0a4Y4ppvLrvqQ0Ur-novvy2v0W1GD9awVrx5zb4YafYoVkkJ9fkN0fCzPnAbKKF2fwHi6G-8deAXVgm6gQt5iiLRa5j3DyQqGsdCqi7Ox2icMeV4HSA4lXsvlszBTccyWs6YBh20nd0l-Z0f-JBl0dLyZDM__PlM9YUARbMCjqAoJSHL-vBMsqIDsimH_de2dlOut-XyMzXJsg

Night

https://mega.nz/#!mggjmIRK!QGUlHDcu7g_-ixXXbAxhNNtN866wj7PEcSr3eVzswwE

y4mluzuSdIsgnYjSTkbxu6YkQm341t6Nj8x13C3nIOccNN42zzvJu1207JM_h69C4Ov_V_LA8xqoP2ASB5T1wxgMauUu6aDOeeOpTdJ015EfnuuKJMsm-JaA7GUKdfMu4zgbuYKY1wMjl5cfMb5QfSVcBvYn-psc5aEH3VRGItoVnCzGmYoiswM9EKza-ADu0W7bNPy6qFABc8m4SuJeWBhrg

y4mKwC0mOyMfK8BoNrmtFFAOOYi-_-RNuu535XOD7DJzetrWqZZC4RCxNc9E-5HExktPyBcc4cwcov26VioIE1uln3O33RvFxla2ytoDYJ5aR4uEhoXxwwSFN0b4ekaQRA1_GVmKTcUrJEeODsqLbfjkyi-gmbe8HFu_BBWU1qnleidq5vWPf_33Xi9xztpV9_GLD5ok55pW1vQVuVhtrHsSA

Are you sure you haven't mixed up the lenses?? Me thinks lens A should have a narrower fov....?!?!

However I cannot get the app to adjust the Maxi settings. This is not surprising, since the app was last updated long before the Maxi was released.

any news on that?

Found this add, I believe we can trust this seller to sell originals only?

Saves you a fiver...

any news on that?

Found this add, I believe we can trust this seller to sell originals only?

Saves you a fiver...
Of course...bangood has been one of the official re-sellers of mobius cameras since years.

Last edited:
Back