Mobius Maxi Support Thread

See now that is very tempting. I was worried I was going to need to design input/output filters and such but that package seems to have all the protection included. All of that in a TO-220 sized package as well. I still wonder how that might affect my GPS module which is nearby, but for the price, it warrants experimentation.

I always like going the DIY route as it gives me more options.

I use this setup with my SG camera with GPS. No issues that I can notice. I've added a smoothing capacitor to the output side (like 10 uF) to further smooth out the ripples which are not bad to begin with. According to the spec sheets peak-peak output ripple with a 12 V input voltage is around 20 mV, at 1.5 A. Also getting close to 90% efficiency with typical dashcam current draws.

DCDC_Converter.jpg
If you are worried about noise, you could also toss in a ferrite bead. I didn't bother myself.

@Radius8

Which cable would the noise be on? The 12V input to the converter, or the 5V output, or both? I assume a ferrite should be placed closest to the converter?

Have you connected your output ground to the same ground as the input?

@tempviewer12

If mounting the converter near the camera, then the noisier part would be from the supply line which is longest (acting as an antenna) and also carries all the noises from other automotive system.

The DC-DC converter I've linked is non-isolated, so yes, that is the same ground reference as everywhere else in the car. Seems to work well for me though. I am not sure if commercial converters typically sold for dashcam use are floating or not.

@Radius8

Thanks for the info. I found the OKI78SR on RS online for £3.50 and surprisingly with free next day delivery, while most competitors like Mouser and Farnell are ~£12 delivery on orders under £30 or something. Decided it was worth a try for that kind of money.

@jokiin , great find too. Even less DIY since it's all put together already.

@tempviewer12 , (y). Same price as the cheap cigarette lighter socket converters and should be a much higher quality unit (might as well pick up several :), I personally have a few in my parts bin). The big electronics part retailers (i.e. Mouser, Digikey, etc... ) don't sell junk or knock offs.

These modules are super tinny (see size of a 10 uF electrolytic cap in my previous picture). Another advantage of mounting the DC-DC converter close to the camera is that you can use thin wires for the 12V input voltage (because lower current), making the leads easier to route and conceal.

Here's my setup for my M1 using a 90 degree plug to the camera. The arrow indicate where the converter module is located. I've just heat shrink wrapped it.

FrontMount_DCDC.jpg

Happy DIYing.

@jokiin

I had already bought the OKI78SR by the time I read your comment unfortunately! UBEC's are indeed nice little packages and also abundant. I do wonder how both the UBEC's and small regulators like the OKI78SR deal with alternator load dumps and things like 45V+ spikes. Based on the datasheets they should do alright.

I had some GPS signal disturbances again this morning so that damn "CPT" converter is coming out...

Help! Mobius maxi led seems not working properly, the red led stays red, blue led turned to pink...
kj.jpg
I tried recording in the blue mode(ring led off, rear led on) and this is how it looks like:
kh.gif

Is it suppose to look like that? I didn't remember it looked like this when first received.

Last edited:
I tried recording in blue mode(mode 2, 1920x1440 30fps) and it ran fine but awhile later, the rear led stayed on and whole device was not responsive. So i opened the case and disconnect the battery.
After reconnecting battery, device can record but all files can't be played by kmplayer, media player classic ran fine.
It wasn't like that before yesterday.

recording indicator rear on
rotate image auto
auto record external power off
power off disconnect immedate
motion detect on, high sensitivity, 5min.
image stabilize off
file type mov
loop off
1920x1440 30fps
super fine
length max

Help! Mobius maxi led seems not working properly, the red led stays red, blue led turned to pink...

I tried recording in the blue mode(ring led off, rear led on) and this is how it looks like:

Is it suppose to look like that? I didn't remember it looked like this when first received.
Yes, the camera flashes all its LEDs when starting up, so you will see red and blue together for a brief moment:
1538050110553.png

I tried recording in blue mode(mode 2, 1920x1440 30fps) and it ran fine but awhile later, the rear led stayed on and whole device was not responsive. So i opened the case and disconnect the battery.
After reconnecting battery, device can record but all files can't be played by kmplayer, media player classic ran fine.
It wasn't like that before yesterday.
Instead of opening up the case to disconnect the battery, the Mobius cameras normally respond to the Reset button if they become locked-up for any reason.

Instead of opening up the case to disconnect the battery, the Mobius cameras normally respond to the Reset button if they become locked-up for any reason.
I tried resetting when home and some newly recorded 1440p files are still stuck, esp those 4gb ones.

When changing mode, orange becomes darker orange(you can actually see it happen), blue becomes pink, red stays red:
HFQmmle.gif

UPDATE: I just reflash the firmware and all colours look true orange, blue now, no half f colours.
UPDATE2: New recorded 4gb files can be played with kmplayer now.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I just reflash the firmware and all colours look true orange, blue now, no half f colours.
Perhaps it got stuck somehow?
I recall that if you double press the mode button it mutes the sound, which is indicated by a change in the led colours. I can't remember exactly right now, but that might have been the reason for what you saw.

Why is the maxi missing WDR as an option?
WDR is available for earlier models.

mobius_003-jpg.26316

Why is the maxi missing WDR as an option?
WDR is available for earlier models.
There are a lot of features in the M1 configuration that are not present in the Maxi. WDR might be nice to have, if the chipset supports it? On the M1 I always thought it was ineffective anyway.

The firmware is still being developed so further features may appear later.

There are a lot of features in the M1 configuration that are not present in the Maxi. WDR might be nice to have, if the chipset supports it? On the M1 I always thought it was ineffective anyway.
It is possible that the developer did not have time to get all the parts in place prior to releasing the mobius maxi. Maybe just like wifi is likely to be provided in future firmware updates other missing pieces like wdr and 128 step image settings up or down will also arrive. Everyone talks about the original mobius being great. Many forget it was about a year after release before it had the firmware working really well. I suppose we must be patient and wait for more firmware development.

Last edited:
It is possible that the developer did not have time to get all the parts in place prior to releasing the mobius maxi. Maybe just like wifi is likely to be provided in future firmware updates other missing pieces like wdr and 128 step image settings up or down will also arrive. Everyone talks about the original mobius being great. Many forget it was about a year after release before it had the firmware working really well. I suppose we must be patient and wait for more firmware development.
I do find the dashcam / action camera sector rather strange in this respect. Almost all of my 'small' cameras have received numerous FW updates since release, aimed at fixing bugs and adding new features. Mobius are no different to SG, Viofo, Xiaomi, Blueskysea etc. They release a new model for sale then spend a year or more developing it.

In the same time frame I have owned a handful of point and shoot cameras and DSLRs, and I can recall only one or two firmware upgrades. I would have been rather disappointed after spending over £1000 on my Canon 7D MKII if I had found out that 10fps shooting and RAW capture were going to be an added bonus feature one year later!

I would not be surprised if a significant proportion of Mobius 1 owners have never updated their camera's firmware, as I suspect only a small percentage visit forums like this one and find the updates, and the manufacturers are not sending out notifications to owners about the updates either (since there's no product registration available).

I would not be surprised if a significant proportion of Mobius 1 owners have never updated their camera's firmware, as I suspect only a small percentage visit forums like this one and find the updates, and the manufacturers are not sending out notifications to owners about the updates either (since there's no product registration available).

I'd say quite a lot of M1 owners are using the current firmware

mobius.jpg

Keeping the M1 updated is easier than with any other cam. Just select the auto update feature in msetup and every time you hook the cam to your PC it takes care of itself. So I think most people using the M1 are up to date with their FW or soon will be. Looking at the procedure for some other cams almost makes me dizzy- some even need you to manually set things to default, then set them back to where they were just a few minutes before. I understand why all that, but none bests Mobius for convenience with FW updates.

It is odd that we get half-developed cams sold to us, but that can also let us get the cams sooner, and if the developers listen to our input. we will get optimum performance faster than waiting for someone at their office to find all the bugs. As long as the manufacturer and developers do their part this may actually be the best way, but if they don't then it's as crappy a system as could be imagined. In comparing with other types of cams it needs to be remembered that those folks have offices filled with experenced people whose wages must be paid, while here you've got few people and a much lower cost. When I first considered dashcams I was floored at how cheap some could be had for because I knew only what the Nikon's and Canon's and even Kodak's of the world cost. The regular camera market has a higher expectation of off-the-shelf quality and function regardless of price, while the dashcam market has evolved into something driven more by price instead. So we get the cheap prices at a cost of lower initial development and the chance of no development at all. Not many people would spend Blackvue DR900S prices to get an A119 would they? But if the market was like what it is with regular cameras, that would be the case. So there's some merit to this because I will never have that kind of money to spend, but I do have quite a few decent dashcams. I don't know how we got here, but it's not that bad a place to be except for the uneducated newbies who get a $25 cam thinking it's going to do the job. The one thing which got me through the minefield safely is DCT and it's forums, otherwise I too might have fallen prey for the cheap junk cams myself. And were it not for how these cams develop I would know nearly nothing about them and how to avoid and solve problems I'd have with them.

Yeah, we get to be "beta-testers" when we buy a dashcam, and sometimes working with them is a PITA, but as long as you make a good choice of cams and companies, it's not that bad. And it gets us the mostest the fastest and the cheapest when things go right. I can't complain about this, but as always YMMV.

Phil

Back