Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Very noisy (day or night), even more apparent in webcam mode. Still darkens a bit with CW metering. If it's going to replace one of your cameras, I'd wait.

Thanks, no I'm just curious, but 75 bucs for a noisy camera is a big nono of course...

What are the general conclusions so far for the F1.5 lens version Mobius Maxi?
The b lens is best for a dashcam.
The 2.7k superfine setting at creates 60mbs files which are quite large. a 32gb card records around an hour before looping.
The night images could be better but are acceptable.
If your steering wheel is on the left side of the dash (as in the USA) and the maxi is placed upside down in the middle of the windshield the blinking recording lights are not seen after dark. The usb power cable covers the view needed to see the blinking back light. The middle light I could not see at all from the drivers seat.

Here is a sample video from a mobius maxi.

Here is the same video from a cheap 1080p mirror cam that was on 720p.

This is the rear view capture of the same event from a 480p cam. You can see how dark it really was.

The maxi captured more detail than the cheap mirror cam did. I only saw a glimpse of the kids legs.
I flashed my lights to see what was on the road ahead of me. That is why I did not hit the kids.
If the kids had worn dark pants instead of shorts I might not have seen them.

Has anyone experienced file corruption / errors writing to the card? This issue started today. Every few files shows as "Zero Bytes," please see attached picture. Any advice on how to resolve this? Thank you! Using a 128gb Samsung High Endurance card purchased in September. Video length at 3 minutes, 1080p 60 fps.

Some sample bike footage. Mounting down from the handlebars has been an improvement from mounting up on the handlebars.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11.34.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11.34.44 PM.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 7
Format the card and test with h2testw and see what the results are as a starting point

Thank you! I formatted using mSetup and tested with h2testw. The results came back clean - wrote test data and verified with no errors. Will keep an eye out to see if this issue continues to happen after this fresh format. Wouldn't want to miss something important because footage isn't being saved!

Hi to all.

After dealing with three Mobius M1 in different cars, I recently bought a brand new "Mobius Maxi Lens A" for another car.
Unfortunately the camera didn´t start up. Only charging worked as the main LED showed.

I opened the case and found the flexible cable of the camera module not to be inserted correctly into its socket on the mainboard.
The locking lever was not closed. After installing correctly, the camera started.

I thought that this post is maybe helpful for (new) owners with the same problem.

-----
Unfortunately, the camera once hang up during dashcam use. So I had to use the reset button.
I´ll observe this issue and I´m looking forward for the next firmware update.
-----

Greetings from Germany
Napo

Attachments

• Mobius_Maxi_Cable_Socket.JPG
    Mobius_Maxi_Cable_Socket.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 15
I have a quick question, since Mobius Maxi does not have WiFi and an App... When I position, the cam for lets say really anything... how do I know its pointing to the exact spot I want it to point without a screen, & without a wifi App? what do you recommend, position by "eye" then pop out SD card check on computer then try again in cam over and over till you get it correct aimed? and make sure without moving Cam then pop in to computer to see if the aim angle is correct and keep doing it till you get the right aim and angle of view? omg, theres got to be a better way? maybe not lol

Last edited:
I have a quick question, since Mobius Maxi does not have WiFi and an App... When I position, the cam for lets say really anything... how do I know its pointing to the exact spot I want it to point without a screen, & without a wifi App? what do you recommend, position by "eye" then pop out SD card check on computer then try again in cm till you get it correct? without moving Cam then pop in to computer to see if the angle is correct and keep doing it till you get the right angle of view? omg theres got to be a better way? maybe not lol

If you use the 10 pin USB wiring harness that is supplied with the Maxi in combination with the RCA audio/video/power cable connectors from the Mobius 1 you can connect the Maxi to an audio video display. I use a 7 inch LCD TV that has RCA AV inputs for all my mobile Mobius aiming and occasionally, focusing needs. Usually, I'll connect a power bank to the camera via the wiring harness when I'm aiming or focusing in my vehicle if the Mobius I'm focusing has a super-capacitor installed.

Maxi A/V wiring harness.
maxicable.jpg

Mobius 1 A/V wiring harness.
mobius_harness.jpg
The audio/video and USB power input cables can be used with the Mobius Maxi wiring harness.
The 4 pin Mobius 1 USB mini-B multi-connector will not work with the Maxi for A/V connectivity.

Last edited:
thanks dashmellow, I will try that out as soon as I receive the camera.

I have a quick question, since Mobius Maxi does not have WiFi and an App... When I position, the cam for lets say really anything... how do I know its pointing to the exact spot I want it to point without a screen, & without a wifi App?
In addition to the useful AV-out suggestion by @Dashmellow, there are some other options.

If you can get a laptop to wherever the camera is located, then you may be able to use the Maxi in webcam mode. Simply connect the camera to the laptop with a data USB cable, then press the shutter button to change from mass storage mode to webcam mode. You may find issues with this on some OS - I can't get it to work on either of my work or home computers running Win10.

Another option if you have an android device is to connect the camera to your device using an OTG cable. The third-party app Mobius ActionCam by Tomas Chladek supports live view from the Maxi, but is not compatible for changing the camera settings.

Of these three options (AV, webcam, OTG) my preference has been the OTG cable and phone app because it gives a higher resolution output that is more useful for focusing, since I occasionally change lenses or adjust a varifocal lens on my Mobius cameras. If you already have an AV monitor you may find it easier to work with that.

I am hopeful that we will see the WiFi app released before the end of the year.

wide angle cameras are forgiving if you cant aim them by looking at a screen, but of course you will want to hit the sweet spot.
In my car its a bit ON / OFF as i am using a suction cup mount with a ball hinge, so i dont hit the same place every time i out the camera in place, but it is rare i get it installed in such a way that its footage cant be used for anything.
And i am using a quite narrow 12 mm lens. you will have to be really bad at eyeballing it with the factory lens to record useless footage.

How do you adjust focus on the Mobius Maxi? I was taking the lens cap off and by accident I turned the Lens... I hope I didn't break it? Now I don't know how to re-focus it accurately

On my Maxi, the thread of the lens is glued to the case of the sensor.
(Lens A)

Connect the cam in Webcammode to a PC and use e.g. the VLC-Player to get an videostream from your camera. Then turn the lens.

mine was not glued. I turned the lens cap to take it off and the lens moved, now How do I get the lens re-focused properly and accurately ? thanks

Another method would be to make a series of videos, while for every video the lens is turned a bit. With markings, you can later turn to the correct position while watching the sequences.

yes, I tried that and did 5 short videos so far turning the lens slightly each time and its still out of focus each time doing this by eye I will take forever to get back the then unknown point the lens was in when I received the camera. I wish I knew that the lens turns easy I would of been more careful taking the lens cover off, I don't remember anyone mentioning having this problem or any warnings saying the lens turns easy and be careful. If I ever get this back in focus by eye... I am going to paint a line on the side of lens incase it moves again. there got to be a better way to focus and calibrate the lens properly instead of me amazing videos for hours and moving it 1/16 inch at a time I don't even know if im turning it the correct way at this point.

I tried to get it in webcam mode and I won't go into it with windows 10 and I cant even find the iCatch drivers as indicated in the instructions

Is your mobius maxi an a or b lens? The b lens is held in place by a small allen head screw. Eventually wifi should be enabled to allow this to be done wirelessly. For now you need aor the AV out cable Jokiin mentioned.

This post should help you to focus in the right direction.
Your Maxi is focused too close - the edge of your dashboard is in focus, but the view beyond is not. You will need to screw the lens in clockwise a small amount, perhaps 1 or 2 degrees.

I don't have an AV cable. It has the B lens. the B lens on my maxi moves freely, it was received focused great I took the lens cap off and the lens turned because I twisted it instead of just pulling cap off :-( .. I wish I knew not to twist it.

I cant get it to show up in WEB MODE on a PC running Windows 10 and an iMac Pro, and Mac Book pro. I followed the instructions of http://mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/MobiusMaxiManual.pdf and both methods for web mode do not work for any of my computers.

Last edited:
as of right now I can just keep film video stop it attch to computer look at it and then twist lens a little bit then shoot again and look again ... twist, film, look- twist film look twist film look twist film look and eventually I guess it will be a sharp focus? and if by eye It look sharp to me does that mean its OFFICAILLY Focused Properly and Calibrated Focus? I don't know what do you suggest.

Right now I have no AV cable.

Back