Mobius Maxi Support Thread

the images were externally hosted and the links are all dead, they all point to the same address http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html which wouldn't be correct, may have been something that happened on the RCG end since all the links are pointing at the same page now

I noticed that too just before you posted about it. Kind of answered my own question.

I'll drop Isoprop a line to let him know

How could he not know? Hmm....what ever happened to @Isoprop, anyway? :confused:

Between the uncharacteristic feet-in-the mud firmware updates, the sort of hard-to-get super-capacitor thing, the missing GUI images from RCgroups and @Isoprop's mysterious disappearance, I hope this doesn't portend bad things for Mobius.

Concerned.

Do they make a Android tablet that has WiFi only no phone service of any kind? I want to use it at my home and for the Maxi camera. The Android Smartphone is to small to watch video on.

If there is any can you post links.

Do they make a Android tablet that has WiFi only no phone service of any kind? I want to use it at my home and for the Maxi camera. The Android Smartphone is to small to watch video on.

There are thousands of them. Look for ones without LTE, GSM or SIM in the title.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=android+WiFi+tablet

Both @Isoprop and I volunteer some of our time to support Mobius. I know he is rather busy. I suspect he is spending less time in DCT in part because I have been more active here lately.

Last edited:

Yes but be careful! I have an old phone and needed Android for a B1W so I bought a cheap tablet with wifi but no phone. The version was supposed to be supported but it only gave limited functionality, while phones with the same version number worked fully. I bought a different one later on to keep in the car for viewing and free hotspot use and it was the same way :confused: I do not know if the Mobius app will have the same problems but if at all possible test the tablet before buying just to be sure, or ensure that you can return it for a full refund if it doesn't do what you need. Mine were the 2 cheapest ones Walmart sells in-store ;)

Phil

For some weird reason all the screen shots of both the M1 and Maxi mSetup GUI disappeared from the RCGroups support pages quite some time ago. @TonyM, do you have any insight into that?
I'll drop Isoprop a line to let him know
Isoprop has now replaced all the missing images. Apparently the issue was caused by new software at RCG, hence the reason why Isoprop knew nothing about it. RCG did go through a restructure a little while ago that caused a few issues.

I’ve upgraded my Mobius 1 to a Maxi with a capacitor last week and I’m getting a weird issue. The Maxi will work fine until it doesn’t. Then it won’t do anything. Removing power and restarting might get me a green light, but then it goes dark after about 30 seconds. Then once it’s off for a bit (5 minutes, 10 minutes, it varies) it’s suddenly working again.

My guess is a heat issue, but its 50 degrees fahrenheit tops around here right now and the unit is mounted under my rear view mirror with plenty of air flow. It also runs for hours without trouble and then gives me trouble on another occasion after running 20 minutes.

I’ve upgraded my Mobius 1 to a Maxi with a capacitor last week and I’m getting a weird issue. The Maxi will work fine until it doesn’t. Then it won’t do anything. Removing power and restarting might get me a green light, but then it goes dark after about 30 seconds. Then once it’s off for a bit (5 minutes, 10 minutes, it varies) it’s suddenly working again.

My guess is a heat issue, but its 50 degrees fahrenheit tops around here right now and the unit is mounted under my rear view mirror with plenty of air flow. It also runs for hours without trouble and then gives me trouble on another occasion after running 20 minutes.

I would start the trouble-shooting process by checking the USB cable, especially the mini-B plug that connects to the camera. Check the camera's mini-B port as well. Jiggle the cable gently while the camera is recording and see if anything happens. If you find nothing wrong continue trouble-shooting by exploring a different vector for the problem, like the super-capacitor for instance, which might be defective or not plugged in securely. My guess is that it is not that heat, but you never know. You could test for that too. The only way to resolve an issue like this is to slowly eliminate the possibilities by methodically trouble-shooting via trial and error. With a camera such as the Mobius (or any dash cam, really) there are really only a handful of possibilities.

As always in times like this, format your memory card or try a different one.

I’ll try another microSD card and check the capacitor. I’ve already eliminated the cable by plugging in another one and getting the same response. The cable was a good possibility though since I have to use a 10ft length that snakes across my roofline, down the door jam, and under the dash.

Buying a new car and getting a new dash cam creates all kinds of problems. Like the Maxi doesn’t stop recording even after I turn the engine off and it beeps like crazy. Ends up the car’s USB ports supply power for one hour after you shut the car down. But I guess it’s not really great power because the Maxi was beeping every 10 seconds until I muted that feature.

Buying a new car and getting a new dash cam creates all kinds of problems. Like the Maxi doesn’t stop recording even after I turn the engine off and it beeps like crazy. Ends up the car’s USB ports supply power for one hour after you shut the car down. But I guess it’s not really great power because the Maxi was beeping every 10 seconds until I muted that feature.
I think the USB ports in the new car are the most likely problem. They are often under-powered for dashcam use. Do you have a 12v-to-USB adapter you can use instead? Or run the Maxi off a wall charger to check the camera on a reliable power supply.

Last edited:

where did you purchase the capacitor for the Maxi? thanks

I think the USB ports in the new car are the most likely problem. They are often under-powered for dashcam use. Do you have a 12v-to-USB adapter you can use instead? Or run the Maxi off a wall charger to check the camera on a reliable power supply.

Yes, the Maxi takes more power. I could run a Mobius 1 off a 12v-to-USB adapter but that's not working with the Maxi. Right now I've got it plugged into vehicle's dedicated USB port.

Another possibility is whether a single USB bus is powering all the ports in the car. I think the problem only happens when other people are in the car. On at least 2 instances there were 2 phones plus the Maxi being powered at the same time. I'll have to try and see if I can replicate the issue with those variables.

Wiring the Mobius directly to the fuse box would be the best option, but I don't think I'm up for that.

where did you purchase the capacitor for the Maxi? thanks

I got the Maxi with a capacitor already installed ordered off Amazon and shipped direct from China. I looked before I went that route and could not find any capacitors sold separately.

Yes, the Maxi takes more power. I could run a Mobius 1 off a 12v-to-USB adapter but that's not working with the Maxi. Right now I've got it plugged into vehicle's dedicated USB port.
There are plenty of 12v-to-USB adapters that can deliver enough current to run a Maxi. The basic ones just output 0.5A, but decent ones now will output at least 1A on each port. I have a 5-way adapter that runs a Maxi, an M1, an A129 Duo, a GitUp F1 and one spare port for charging a powerbank.

Another possibility is whether a single USB bus is powering all the ports in the car. I think the problem only happens when other people are in the car. On at least 2 instances there were 2 phones plus the Maxi being powered at the same time. I'll have to try and see if I can replicate the issue with those variables.
There may be a limit to the current being supplied across all your vehicle's USB ports. I still think a 12v-to-USB adapter is the best way to go.

Wiring the Mobius directly to the fuse box would be the best option, but I don't think I'm up for that.

I got the Maxi with a capacitor already installed ordered off Amazon and shipped direct from China. I looked before I went that route and could not find any capacitors sold separately.

As @TonyM has been trying to tell you, practically all USB ports built into cars are woefully under-powered for dash cams and you will likely run into problems if you use them. You'll find countless mentions of this issue on this forum if you do some searching. Most car USB ports output only 500 mAh whereas practically all dash cams require a minimum of 1000 mAh (1 amp) input or more even if your cam draws less. Just because your camera is functioning off your car's USB port doesn't mean it is necessarily receiving as much current as it truly requires. An after-market 12V to 5 V USB adapter that puts out enough current is the way to go and many on the market are capable of outputting as much as 2.4 amps per port.

As @TonyM has also mentioned, in a situation like this where the amount of current provided by your car and the amount of current that your camera draws are at question you would benefit from the use of a plug-in USB voltage/current tester. These are inexpensive devices that plug in between your USB port and your camera that will tell you how much voltage and current is being provided by your car or charger and how much voltage/current is being drawn by your camera.

If you don't resolve the basic question of whether you are providing enough current for your Maxi from your car's USB ports then you may not be able to resolve the issue you've asked for help with.

USB voltage current meters typically look like this and are available for a few dollars.

USB dual port car chargers typically look like this and are also available at modest cost.

https://www.amazon.com/usb-car-adapter/s?page=1&rh=i:aps,k:usb car adapter

Last edited:
I have two different 12v adapters and neither one worked. I don't know how much juice they're putting out (no ratings listed). I'll try and max out all my USB ports and see if the problem reoccurs. But it just occurred to me that one of the suspect iPhones was charging through my 12v USB adapter so that wouldn't be putting any strain on the vehicle's USB power anyway.

I'll pick up a 12v USB adapter that puts out 2.4A and one of those USB meters to see if that narrows down the possible causes. It hasn't happened since Monday over about 3 hours of driving. Intermittent problems are the worst.

I have two different 12v adapters and neither one worked. I don't know how much juice they're putting out (no ratings listed). I'll try and max out all my USB ports and see if the problem reoccurs. But it just occurred to me that one of the suspect iPhones was charging through my 12v USB adapter so that wouldn't be putting any strain on the vehicle's USB power anyway.

I'll pick up a 12v USB adapter that puts out 2.4A and one of those USB meters to see if that narrows down the possible causes. It hasn't happened since Monday over about 3 hours of driving. Intermittent problems are the worst.

Many 12V USB car chargers you'll find on the market today are cheaply made crap. I suggest investing in a good name brand one that comes with a good warranty and a customer service number to call such as Anker, Aukey, RAVpower or similar. These will have good voltage regulation and current management/monitoring and will be built to a higher standard. The cheap ones, even if rated for enough current can cause more problems than they solve. They "might" be OK for occasionally charging a phone but could end up damaging your dash camera when they are in use for long periods of time.

Back