Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Most times mine has locked up, I have fixed it by reformatting the card.

Last edited:
Unfortunately another couple of problems have surfaced.

First having used the WiFi to download a file the Maxi then just freezes up. Using the rest button works but hardly ideal.

Second, took the Maxi out of the car to change the time this morning and noticed that on the recorded files the time had messed up. The date was correct.
The photo's show the time on the file (which is the time the file ends) and then the actual time on the clip. Both are wrong as the actual time was around 11.00hrs!

Attachments

• Wrong time.2.jpg
    Wrong time.2.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 7
  • Wrong time.jpg
    Wrong time.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 7
Most times mine has locked up, I have fixed it by reformatting the card.
it appears that was the issue - Msetup wouldn't let me flash the fw with SD Card error. also, it didn't record at all yesterday .
It allowed me to turn on wifi after formatting, everything looked fine . I guess that was the issue
never had these problems with the Mobius1

it appears that was the issue - Msetup wouldn't let me flash the fw with SD Card error. also, it didn't record at all yesterday .
It allowed me to turn on wifi after formatting, everything looked fine . I guess that was the issue
never had these problems with the Mobius1
File management with loop recording seems to be a potential issue long term. Regular reformatting appears to help. Not sure why this would be the case.

Unfortunately another couple of problems have surfaced.

First having used the WiFi to download a file the Maxi then just freezes up. Using the rest button works but hardly ideal.

Second, took the Maxi out of the car to change the time this morning and noticed that on the recorded files the time had messed up. The date was correct.
The photo's show the time on the file (which is the time the file ends) and then the actual time on the clip. Both are wrong as the actual time was around 11.00hrs!
Could be a battery problem - not maintaining the Real Time Clock. Do you use a battery or capacitor? In recent testing with WiFi enabled my capacitor Maxi has been very reliable, however the battery Maxi had a few issues before the battery died.

File management with loop recording seems to be a potential issue long term. Regular reformatting appears to help. Not sure why this would be the case.
Do you happen to know if Mobius are anywhere close to releasing a new fw with this bug fixed? this just happened to me again today. couldn't get the Maxi to record until I formatted the card using my phone

I can increase awareness of the issue with Mobius.

I can increase awareness of the issue with Mobius.

This repeated notion that "Mobius" is off somewhere in China, oblivious to all the problems, issues and concerns we all discuss here month after month is a myth. As has been made clear in various older posts by @Isoprop, the Mobius developer, a fluent speaker of English, has monitored this forum (along with RCGroups) for years as a so called "passive member" who never posts. Any unwillingness or inability to address any of the outstanding issues with the Maxi (or with the M1 or M2 for that matter) is certainly not for lack of awareness.

After the debacle of the Mobius 2, I was hopeful that the Maxi finally might be the worthy successor to the M1 many of us had been hoping for, for such a long time. Certainly, unlike the M2 it has the potential. Unfortunately, when you release a long anticipated new product that is not yet fully developed and that was introduced with significant flaws and shortcomings and you then leave those flaws and shortcomings unaddressed after the product has been on the market for a year, people will lose faith. Considering how much good will was already squandered among devoted Mobius enthusiasts after the M2 train wreck, this is not a good sign.

I'm given to understand that Mobius lost some personnel who were developing this cam. While I can understand that impact it is not like there are no people available to fill the positions- everyone else still develops new cams and some are far more complex than Maxi. And that should have amounted to only a short delay- a month or two at best- instead of what seems like yet another silent and extended product abandonment. It's so bad that even @Isoprop who was once very present and active here seems to no longer be bothering with it- or us. My piss-poor G1W clone with it's limited functionality is at least reliable in what it does, yet you can't count on the Maxi being there for you when you need it. What good is a cam that can't even surpass a crappy clone of a well-outdated and supposedly "lesser" cam?

They may be hearing our comments, but they aren't listening to them anymore, so there's not much point in bothering to speak to them. At this point Mobius should either withdraw the Maxi or hand it over to people like the DCTeam who are doing wonders for Viofo's cams and not charging him a dime to do it. The Maxi will never amount to anything at this rate and if it does get developed it will be so far behind the times it will still be worthless.

Buy an F-1 or original Mobius if you want this form-factor, or buy one of the numerous cams in other forms which surpass this one in every way. Buying a Maxi will only lead to frustration and grief. It's another JooVuu and for all the same reasons :mad:

Phil

I don't think the Maxi is at a stage where it could be improved just with a hex editor, the improvements needed are still at a base code level, not quite there yet

I don't think the Maxi is at a stage where it could be improved just with a hex editor, the improvements needed are still at a base code level, not quite there yet

I'm sure you are right, but I'd still hand the project over to them if I weren't doing anything with it. Those guys are smart enough to learn the needed coding skills PDQ on their own, or they'd find someone who does. They get things done which is more than what Mobius is doing so it couldn't be any worse and would probably be better.

Phil

from what @TonyM has mentioned previously they are still working on firmware, it just hasn't been released to anyone other than a few testers, perhaps that makes it look like nothing is happening, more testers could certainly speed things along for the Maxi, that doesn't seem to be their way of doing things though

I've been in the receiving end from snarky customers before when they think you aren't working on something which is very frustrating when it's something you do constantly, it's not nice

This repeated notion that "Mobius" is off somewhere in China, oblivious to all the problems, issues and concerns we all discuss here month after month is a myth. As has been made clear in various older posts by @Isoprop, the Mobius developer, a fluent speaker of English, has monitored this forum (along with RCGroups) for years as a so called "passive member" who never posts. Any unwillingness or inability to address any of the outstanding issues with the Maxi (or with the M1 or M2 for that matter) is certainly not for lack of awareness.
I was only trying to be helpful.

The RCG thread for the Maxi has 316 posts. Here on DCT we have 37 threads and 1920 posts. I have probably read at least 95% of them, but I'm not sure if the Mobius team have seen all of them. It's easy for an individual's problems to get lost amongst the general discussion.

@jokiin Agreed on "snarky" not being nice. But you DO get things done, and almost always done very well (even if maybe not as fast as some of us would like :rolleyes:) versus here where we see almost nothing happening over extended periods of time, and with the approach looking more like Blackvue with small bits of improvement made often needing revisions while major problems tend to go unaddressed, or at best only partially addressed and often not well addressed when that happens.

Yes, Mobius can do whatever they like however they like to do it. And if I feel it is not sufficient I can say so. It seems that the majority of folks are OK with the development speed at SG, so if my thought differ there I'm probably wrong. But with the Maxi it's the other way 'round so it's more likely that I'm probably right. A majority view can be wrong but that is never likely, and the majority view here appears to coincide with my own.

This is a cam I really wanted to love; I was for several weeks waiting only for one better-than-average week's earnings away from buying one myself. I'm now glad that I didn't make that money, and now I'd only buy a Maxi if I'd already purchased all of the other cams I'm interested in first- and maybe not even then. I could still love this cam, but only if they get it all worked out and pronto. Anything lesser or slower and I'll buy an F-1 instead if fate and effort puts the money in my pocket this time 'round.

Phil

if the choice came down to Maxi or F1 I'd go with the F1, I always suggest with any camera to buy them based on what they deliver today, not what you hope it will become, I think the F1 is in front still regardless

from what @TonyM has mentioned previously they are still working on firmware, it just hasn't been released to anyone other than a few testers, perhaps that makes it look like nothing is happening, more testers could certainly speed things along for the Maxi, that doesn't seem to be their way of doing things though
A small development team and a small group of volunteer testers can only achieve so much. I can't replicate the issues reported by some members here, so there's very little I can do to help, other than pass on a comment in the hope it will be looked at. I'd like to think that my involvement has improved the Maxi to some small degree, but perhaps someone else could and should do a better job of it? I'm sure I could have found more enjoyable ways to spend my not-so-spare time than testing 8 beta FW versions and 3 or 4 app updates over the last few months.

@TonyM
I think you've done as well as anyone could have, and certain;y better than most. The problem isn't within your control or realm of allowed influence.
@jokiin
It was you who got me to see the merits of not counting on future development in making a choice for today. My thanks to you for that wisdom!

Phil

So it locked up on me again today. Took the SD card out and connected it to my Android phone -
noticed latest file recorded was 0 kb . Deleted it, and inserted the card back the Maxi, which was now working normally and recording. don't know what to think anymore

So it locked up on me again today. Took the SD card out and connected it to my Android phone -
noticed latest file recorded was 0 kb . Deleted it, and inserted the card back the Maxi, which was now working normally and recording. don't know what to think anymore
Me neither!

Please remind me of your settings (resolution, quality, loop duration).
Do you delete any individual files with either the app or PC/MAC?

Me neither!

Please remind me of your settings (resolution, quality, loop duration).
Do you delete any individual files with either the app or PC/MAC?
it's 2.8K, super fine, 3min loop .
I deleted only the empty file, using the phone's (Android 8.0) file explorer and a micro sd card reader

Back