Mobius Maxi Support Thread

and here's the benchmark , over 200mb/sec writing average.

Hoping the Mobius staff are reading this - please, please, please do NOT make your plastic mouldings with soft surfaces. They turn into a gelatinous mess after about 2 years. I just spent the better part of an entire night removing the goop from my Action Cam and was lucky to be successful. I was also successful with my Drift HD. Other items I have had less success with are Garmin Nuvi (write-off), Beats (write-off), desktop computer case (write-off). There are legions of horror stories out there on the web.

I've owned numerous Mobius cameras over the last six years (9 in service at the moment with spare parts and spare cases kicking around) and they have endured all kinds of harsh conditions. None of them have ever had their soft silicone coatings "turn into a gelatinous mess". The only way that will happen is if the camera was exposed to some sort of chemical contaminant or solvent (such as acetone).

I have one first generation Mobius 1 that I've carried around as a pocket camera for years and while the soft rubberized coating looks worse for wear it continues to endure all kinds of abuse.

Last edited:
I had a #16 and what he said happen to it. I keep it in a little box in my pocket so I could keep it nice and clean. I was just asking so I could do what he did. I wish they could make some like the Mobius 2 because what happen to the #16 I would buy a Maxi case so I could buy it.

I've owned numerous Mobius cameras over the last six years (9 in service at the moment with spare parts and spare cases kicking around) and they have endured all kinds of harsh conditions. None of them have ever had their soft silicone coatings "turn into a gelatinous mess". The only way that will happen is if the camera was exposed to some sort of chemical contaminant or solvent (such as acetone).

I have one first generation Mobius 1 that I've carried around as a pocket camera for years and while the soft rubberized coating looks worse for wear it continues to endure all kinds of abuse.
No chemicals.
Taken care of like a baby. I am an engineer and look after my gear with great care. I use it for personal use and for my University research.
Other than the beats however, all items endure a high temperature life. The Drift HD almost lives on my cycling helmet, and the Action Cam and Nuvi are almost permanently mounted in my car, which can get quite hot in the Queensland sun.
Do a web search for this problem and you will find many thousands of results on forums across the net. Many manufacturers have stopped making soft surfaces as a result of customer complaints.
If you have never experienced the problem then be grateful, but don't think those who have experienced the problem have been the agent of failure due to lack of care. Your last statement implies you are a professional chemist with experience in this particular problem and you actually imply that the user is the cause of the problem (based on an experimental sample size of one).
The soft surface is partially cured resin. Under certain environmental conditions it breaks down. These are known facts reported on the web by persons who are professional chemists and chemical engineers. Look it up for yourself.
Environmental conditions are not the customer's fault. It behoves the manufacturer to either offer a product that has a reasonable life expectancy under reasonable conditions of use, or to inform the user of the limitations of product use including environmental conditions.
The fastest way for a manufacturer to lose market confidence is to continue manufacturing and selling a product with known and widely recognized defects.

there isn't any number on the card itself. just the size and the word premium, same as this pic
b_1.jpg

without 300x
i'm currently running a benchmark on the card, not that it matters because i decided to return the Maxi, as it is working unreliably for me.
I just removed the card from the camera and reading its contents on a laptop it shows EMPTY directories,
even though I got the recording indicator blinking for half an hour during a drive. this is way too much

can you post photos of the actual card you have rather than one it almost looks like, both sides of the cards please

No chemicals.
Taken care of like a baby. I am an engineer and look after my gear with great care. I use it for personal use and for my University research.
Other than the beats however, all items endure a high temperature life. The Drift HD almost lives on my cycling helmet, and the Action Cam and Nuvi are almost permanently mounted in my car, which can get quite hot in the Queensland sun.
Do a web search for this problem and you will find many thousands of results on forums across the net. Many manufacturers have stopped making soft surfaces as a result of customer complaints.
If you have never experienced the problem then be grateful, but don't think those who have experienced the problem have been the agent of failure due to lack of care. Your last statement implies you are a professional chemist with experience in this particular problem and you actually imply that the user is the cause of the problem (based on an experimental sample size of one).
The soft surface is partially cured resin. Under certain environmental conditions it breaks down. These are known facts reported on the web by persons who are professional chemists and chemical engineers. Look it up for yourself.
Environmental conditions are not the customer's fault. It behoves the manufacturer to either offer a product that has a reasonable life expectancy under reasonable conditions of use, or to inform the user of the limitations of product use including environmental conditions.
The fastest way for a manufacturer to lose market confidence is to continue manufacturing and selling a product with known and widely recognized defects.

I'm not a chemist but this kind of thing usually happens from some sort of environmental chemical contamination. These rubberized finishes are made of silicone and some things do affect this stuff. Come to think of it I did have a Mobius that got "sticky" one time (temporarily). I realized later that I had recently applied some sunscreen before handling the Mobius and that turned out to be the culprit. I suspect that when others report this there may be something similar going on one way or another. Other than that I haven't experienced this issue on a Mobius and considering my extensive experience with these cameras over so many years I feel confident that the issue is more rare than common. I do acknowledge that is sort of thing happens and I've owned a few similar black rubberized items that have gotten a little sticky, but never "gelatinous". Anyway, I'm sorry this happened to you. I happen to really like the rubberized finish on the Mobius so I hope they don't change it.

As far as "market confidence" is concerned, the Mobius is still on the market and still sells well after six years despite the aging technology, so that tells us something.

Last edited:
I'm not a chemist but this kind of thing usually happens from some sort of environmental chemical contamination. These rubberized finishes are made of silicone and some things do affect this stuff. Come to think of it I did have a Mobius that got "sticky" one time (temporarily). I realized later that I had recently applied some sunscreen before handling the Mobius and that turned out to be the culprit. I suspect that when others report this there may be something similar going on one way or another. Other than that I haven't experienced this issue on a Mobius and considering my extensive experience with these camera over so many years I feel confident that the issue is more a rare than common. I do acknowledge that is sort of thing happens and I've owned a few similar black rubberized items that have gotten a little sticky, but never "gelatinous". Anyway, I'm sorry this happened to you. I happen to really like the rubberized finish on the Mobius so I hope they don't change it.

I pulled a phone out of a draw last week that had been sitting for a while, went to put a SIM card in it and found the inside of the case (expensive branded case also, not an eBay special) had turned into a sticky jelly mess, not sure what set it off but something broke down in the material

I pulled a phone out of a draw last week that had been sitting for a while, went to put a SIM card in it and found the inside of the case (expensive branded case also, not an eBay special) had turned into a sticky jelly mess, not sure what set it off but something broke down in the material

Yeah, I think maybe there can be bad batches of this stuff sometimes. Or maybe there was something in the drawer that was out-gassing something that affected the case.

After my last post, I was remembering the Mobius lens bezels that turned from black to bronze msyteriously and how that turned out to be a bad batch of anodizing. Perhaps when siliconized coatings go bad it is something like that?

I just removed the card from the camera and reading its contents on a laptop it shows EMPTY directories,
even though I got the recording indicator blinking for half an hour during a drive. this is way too much
Were those empty directories created by your card benchmark software?

I know that when I test anything with h2testw it completely fills the card, so I always reformat the card after a test before using it again in any camera.

Were those empty directories created by your card benchmark software?

I know that when I test anything with h2testw it completely fills the card, so I always reformat the card after a test before using it again in any camera.
i meant empty mobius directories - videos,photos,locked . no recordings at all inside videos
the benchmark was done long after i pulled it from the maxi

Last edited:
I'm not a chemist but this kind of thing usually happens from some sort of environmental chemical contamination. These rubberized finishes are made of silicone and some things do affect this stuff. Come to think of it I did have a Mobius that got "sticky" one time (temporarily). I realized later that I had recently applied some sunscreen before handling the Mobius and that turned out to be the culprit. I suspect that when others report this there may be something similar going on one way or another. Other than that I haven't experienced this issue on a Mobius and considering my extensive experience with these cameras over so many years I feel confident that the issue is more rare than common. I do acknowledge that is sort of thing happens and I've owned a few similar black rubberized items that have gotten a little sticky, but never "gelatinous". Anyway, I'm sorry this happened to you. I happen to really like the rubberized finish on the Mobius so I hope they don't change it.

As far as "market confidence" is concerned, the Mobius is still on the market and still sells well after six years despite the aging technology, so that tells us something.
A simple web search yields 14.8 million results concerning this problem. This is not rocket science.
Here is a taster;
A definitive explanation from someone who actually "has a clue"
Not too bad a discussion
Nikon should do better on high priced items
In the tropics
Clearly the fault is NOT with the user. Sunscreen, weed killer - jeez, talk about clutching at straws....

As for Mobius being on the market 6 years, such a statement is meaningless. Firstly, there is no serious competition at this price point. Second, 6 years is nothing in business. You could have a serious competitor in less than 1 year from now - they are unlikely to give you advance warning. If your product has a flaw a good competitor will make a big deal of this.

As a project manager on mines, and now as a researcher, if I knew a product would deteriorate and fail after just 2 years of normal use the supplier and/or manufacturer would certainly be struck off the preferred supplier list. You may get away with it for 6 years, but you will not get away with for 12.

i meant empty mobius directories - videos,photos,locked . no recordings at all inside videos
the benchmark was done long after i pulled it from the maxi
OK. Thanks for confirming which folders were empty. Sorry I don't know how to help.

I just checked my Transcend 32GB Premium 300x. It has tiny black-on-black text on the back of the card. Thankfully it turned out to be an OK card.

i've also ran the equivalent for Linux to H2testw:

[tomer@dell5480 f3-7.1]$ ./f3write /run/media/tomer/maxi
F3 write 7.1
Copyright (C) 2010 Digirati Internet LTDA.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.

Free space: 117.71 GB
Creating file 1.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 2.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 3.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 4.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 5.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 6.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 7.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 8.h2w ... OK!
Creating file 9.h2w ... OK!
(all 118 files OK)
Free space: 0.00 Byte
Average writing speed: 57.81 MB/s

[tomer@dell5480 f3-7.1]$ ./f3read /run/media/tomer/maxi
F3 read 7.1
Copyright (C) 2010 Digirati Internet LTDA.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.

SECTORS ok/corrupted/changed/overwritten
Validating file 1.h2w ... 2097152/ 0/ 0/ 0
Validating file 2.h2w ... 2097152/ 0/ 0/ 0
Validating file 3.h2w ... 2097152/ 0/ 0/ 0
Validating file 4.h2w ... 2097152/ 0/ 0/ 0
Validating file 5.h2w ... 2097152/ 0/ 0/ 0
(all 118 files without errors)

Data OK: 117.71 GB (246854656 sectors)
Data LOST: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Corrupted: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Slightly changed: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Overwritten: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)