Mobius Maxi Support Thread

Not sure what the high light feature is for:

Multi Spot:

I've noticed the high light and low light option is very usefull, but if we use it as a dashcam, and change to VIDEO 2 (with the top MODE button), it does record in VIDEO 2 mode.

BUT.... when we shut of our car, and 10 minutes later restart, it's right back in VIDEO 1 mode..... :mad:

Do they NEVER learn??? We should get the camera back recording in it's latest shutdown condition...!!!

Anyone have connections there to make that clear once and for all?

Or am I missing something?

If we use wifi and phone to change settings, is that ONLY for VIDEO 1 mode?

The Maxi always auto starts in Mode 1.

It might be possible to add a toggle so that it starts in the last used mode, or a user defined mode.

The current phone apps do not support the latest FW, so for example cannot control different image adjustment parameters for modes 1 and 2.

if we use it as a dashcam, and change to VIDEO 2 (with the top MODE button), it does record in VIDEO 2 mode.

BUT.... when we shut of our car, and 10 minutes later restart, it's right back in VIDEO 1 mode..... :mad:

Do they NEVER learn??? We should get the camera back recording in it's latest shutdown condition...!!!

Anyone have connections there to make that clear once and for all?
I can make the suggestion. The current mode in use would need to be saved somewhere during shutdown so that the camera could read that info the next time it starts. If it's even possible, I suspect that could affect startup and auto record reliability.

I can make the suggestion. The current mode in use would need to be saved somewhere during shutdown so that the camera could read that info the next time it starts. If it's even possible, I suspect that could affect startup and auto record reliability.

Of course it's possible!

Certainly, if it was possible on the Mobius 1 that's been on the market for seven years now it should possible on the "new and improved" successor, the Maxi. As on the M1 it could and should be a simple setting where the user can designate which video mode to launch at startup.

Mobius_001.jpg

Yes, I know that with the M1 you can specify which mode to start in. Then the camera always starts in that mode.

@dirkzelf wants the Maxi to start in whatever mode was used last, so the camera would need a routine to save that mode during the shutdown process. It doesn't sound difficult - just an extra line in the configuration file.

Startup_Mode=3 ;Set startup mode, 0: Video Mode 1, 1: Video Mode 2, 2: Photo Mode, 3: Last Used Mode

Last edited:
Yes, I know that with the M1 you can specify which mode to start in. Then the camera always starts in that mode.

@dirkzelf wants the Maxi to start in whatever mode was used last, so the camera would need a routine to save that mode during the shutdown process. It doesn't sound difficult - just an extra line in the FW.

Startup_Mode=3 ;Set startup mode, 0: Video Mode 1, 1: Video Mode 2, 2: Photo Mode, 3: Last Used Mode

I see. Apparently, I misunderstood what dirkzelf was asking for. :confused:

Still, I can see where it might be a nice feature to have but it's hardly mission critical.

I see. Apparently, I misunderstood what dirkzelf was asking for. :confused:

Still, I can see where it might be a nice feature to have but it's hardly mission critical.

It is for me, and it should be for you as well, if you use it as a dashcam, especially now that we have the low light priority mode. In the dark hours we simply need other settings, as the recording is in need of better IQ and better lighting performance, but then again, maybe the Maxi isn't very suited as a dashcam after all....

I keep saying it, the timed mode from the Joovuu-X was ideal.

I have some footage coming up soon from the low light priority recording tonight.

It is for me, and it should be for you as well, if you use it as a dashcam, especially now that we have the low light priority mode. In the dark hours we simply need other settings, as the recording is in need of better IQ and better lighting performance, but then again, maybe the Maxi isn't very suited as a dashcam after all....

I keep saying it, the timed mode from the Joovuu-X was ideal.

I have some footage coming up soon from the low light priority recording tonight.

I can see your point. It would certainly be nice if it could hold the mode it was in before shut-down. Then again, considering the way Mobius firmware development seems to go these days, I'm not holding my breath.

I can see your point. It would certainly be nice if it could hold the mode it was in before shut-down. Then again, considering the way Mobius firmware development seems to go these days, I'm not holding my breath.

yeah, sigh.... there's that too... think we're b@oned....

@Harsh tried Low Light priority and found it was not suitable for night video. I think 1080p60 by day and 1080p30 by night would make more sense, and perhaps slightly increase the exposure or decrease the contrast for night recording.

Low light priority (for some reason there's no audio, from the first file to the last I recorded in this setting, I did NOT turn the sound off... works again now o_O ):

Average metering:

Original F1.2 lens is going back on for another go with the new software, setting back the contrast a little and cranking up the exposure a bit, but by how much.... ?

Thanks for the tip @TonyM, however I'm sticking to 2.7K for the moment, as it is the native recording setting, correct?

I have to use the COLLAR now, already... grub screw hole worn, after 3 lens swaps..... what does that tell ya eh.... but it means also to dremel of a bit of the opening, as the collar won't fit. Not much of a biggie, but still. Advantage: now that the lens holder's barrel sticks out the housing, I can swap lenses WITHOUT opening the case at all!

Last edited:
(for some reason there's no audio, from the first file to the last I recorded in this set
I think if you double press Mode (or something like that) you can mute the audio.

Thanks for the tip @TonyM, however I'm sticking to 2.7K for the moment, as it is the native recording setting, correct?
2.7k only in mjpg. 1080p is in h264.

I switch between the two as I'm not sure which works best.

2.7k only in mjpg. 1080p is in h264.

I switch between the two as I'm not sure which works best.

What the &^#@, huh?? Why mjpg??? Are they nuts???

What the &^#@, huh?? Why mjpg??? Are they nuts???
The processor can only encode in h264 up to 1920x1440. Early in development the Maxi was 1080p only. 2.7k was added before release to take advantage of the full sensor resolution.

Fitted F1.2 lens back in the Maxi:

Everything standard, Average metering, contrast -10

vlcsnap-2020-01-12-20h44m19s278.png

Everything standard, Average metering, contrast -20, exposure +20
vlcsnap-2020-01-12-20h44m33s274.png

Everything standard, Average metering, contrast -10

I was going to suggest - 16 / +16 or something like that. Do you think it's an improvement, or not?

I was going to suggest - 16 / +16 or something like that. Do you think it's an improvement, or not?

yes, and no.... more light, but also more (visible) grainy. I dó believe (not tested, just a feeling) we have better image quality than in the previous fw.

Back