Mobius Maxi Support Thread

With caps, power-off standby should be set to "off" and power-off disconnect set to "immediate". Caps only hold power for just enough time to save the last file on shut-down and no more, so using any other settings will likely lead to problems.

Phil

With caps, power-off standby should be set to "off" and power-off disconnect set to "immediate". Caps only hold power for just enough time to save the last file on shut-down and no more, so using any other settings will likely lead to problems.

Phil
This particular camera is running on batteries, so a longer power-off disconnect duration should be possible.

@PRoz I think you have found a major bug with the Maxi. I used your settings and was able to repeat your findings. The camera stops recording the instant that external power is removed, then waits in standby until the power-off disconnect duration has elapsed, then turns off.

I tested this with 30s, 10s, 5s and 2s and had the same result. I've been using that 2s setting for almost a year now and never noticed that the camera was not actually recording. @Harsh can you check and confirm that your Maxi behaves the same?

This clip shows my 10s test:

I also found that although the last file is always saved, the video recording ends about 1-2s before the external power is removed. I aimed the camera at the powerbank to see when the cable was removed. On all occasions the video ends before the plug is removed. For dashcam use, that would mean a crash would be missed if the impact resulted in power loss to the camera.

I will report this finding to Mobius for resolution.

I think that's how Power-Off Disconnect is meant to work. Battery or capacitor provides power for the standby duration and then the camera shuts off.

Should still record till the point power is cut.

@PRoz I think you have found a major bug with the Maxi. I used your settings and was able to repeat your findings. The camera stops recording the instant that external power is removed, then waits in standby until the power-off disconnect duration has elapsed, then turns off.
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I contacted the supplier "Webbex" yesterday and they suggested trying here for an an answer. I will send them a copy of your reply if that is OK with you.

I also found that although the last file is always saved, the video recording ends about 1-2s before the external power is removed. I aimed the camera at the powerbank to see when the cable was removed. On all occasions the video ends before the plug is removed. For dash-cam use, that would mean a crash would be missed if the impact resulted in power loss to the camera.
Yes part or indeed all of impact could be lost. That was one of the reasons with the M1 that I never went for a capacitor as at the time they did not retain any power and therefore lost the last clip.

I read now that they do have a little power. In your experience does it work?

I will report this finding to Mobius for resolution.
The supplier said they would do the same but apparently they are on holiday till the 10th.

To add to the last seconds not being recorded when the Maxi went into standby and I reconnected power and disconnected again it did start to record but shut down seconds before the allotted time was up.

Hopefully all this can be sorted with a software update.
:)

I think that's how Power-Off Disconnect is meant to work. Battery or capacitor provides power for the standby duration and then the camera shuts off.

Should still record till the point power is cut.
I'm going to check a Mobius 1 to see how that works. I always thought the power-off disconnect function performed as the mSetup tooltip says, by defining how long the camera continues to record after external power is removed.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I contacted the supplier "Webbex" yesterday and they suggested trying here for an an answer. I will send them a copy of your reply if that is OK with you.
Yes, you can send this response to Webbex if you like. They could contact Mobius too, but I've already done that. And yes they're on holiday at the moment so we won't get a response straight away.

Yes part or indeed all of impact could be lost. That was one of the reasons with the M1 that I never went for a capacitor as at the time they did not retain any power and therefore lost the last clip.

I read now that they do have a little power. In your experience does it work?
In 6 years of using Mobius cameras I have always thought that was how that function worked. But now I'll need to check to make sure. I have an M1 in the car I can test later today.

In 6 years of using Mobius cameras I have always thought that was how that function worked. But now I'll need to check to make sure. I have an M1 in the car I can test later today.
Please do check but I can say with certainty that is the way my two have always fuctioned.

Please do check but I can say with certainty that is the way my two have always fuctioned.
My rear-facing Mobius 1 (with battery) is set to 10s power-off disconnect. I just checked and it does continue to record for 10 seconds after turning off the engine.

My rear-facing Mobius 1 (with battery) is set to 10s power-off disconnect. I just checked and it does continue to record for 10 seconds after turning off the engine.

That's the way my 2 x M1's always worked as well. Whatever the duration was set to, that was how long they continued to record for after the power has been disconnected. I've tried various power disconnect settings on the maxi but they all have the same effect...immediate shutdown.

I'm not sure if the Maxi has always had immediate shutdown. It may be a side effect of FW changes to increase stability during startup. Hopefully that's something the Mobius engineers can check when they return from their New Year break in a couple of days.

I'm not sure if the Maxi has always had immediate shutdown. It may be a side effect of FW changes to increase stability during startup. Hopefully that's something the Mobius engineers can check when they return from their New Year break in a couple of days.
I hope so as immediately shutting down when the power disconnects isn't ideal for a dashcam, especially in the even of an accident as it will literally cut off as soon as it happens.
Thanks for the help Tony, it's easy enough for me to come on here with problems but I can see from your threads the effort you put in and I'm sure plenty people on here appreciate it.

Thanks for the help Tony, it's easy enough for me to come on here with problems but I can see from your threads the effort you put in and I'm sure plenty people on here appreciate it.
I appreciate all that @TonyM does, he goes above and beyond to help everyone and is extremely thorough and accurate and a great book of knowledge for many cams. He makes DCT a very enjoyable place to learn stuff.
Thanks for the kind words from both of you. They mean a lot to me.

The Mobius engineers came back from their break and attended to the power-off disconnect issue straight away. Further testing is needed, however initial results are promising :

The Mobius engineers came back from their break and attended to the power-off disconnect issue straight away. Further testing is needed, however initial results are promising :
Sorry for not getting back sooner but the notifications stopped for some reason.

I had hoped it was a "simple" software issue. Your video shows something else I have noticed and that is the Maxi turns off a few seconds before the allotted time whereas the M1 is spot on.

It appears you get told things well before the suppliers do.

That is good news thanks for your help in this. :)

I had hoped it was a "simple" software issue. Your video shows something else I have noticed and that is the Maxi turns off a few seconds before the allotted time whereas the M1 is spot on.
The power off timing is already being addressed

Phil

I've recently tried changing (using Maxi+cap) power off standby to off from 30secs, and the result was it didn't finish writing the last file. on 30 seconds it works fine and the maxi turns off once finished writing (plus a couple of beeps)

I've recently tried changing (using Maxi+cap) power off standby to off from 30secs, and the result was it didn't finish writing the last file. on 30 seconds it works fine and the maxi turns off once finished writing (plus a couple of beeps)
That's an interesting observation. The camera should not go into standby mode at all when external power is removed.

What is your 'power-off disconnect' setting? When using a capacitor it should be 'immediate'. The '2 seconds' option also works for me.

Back