Mobius not saving last file (using capacitor)

t121anf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the whole dashcam scene. I'm using a mobius with a capacitor instead of the battery, it seems to be ok however it doesn't save the last video.

For example, i checked this mornings footage (changed from my temporary mount to permanent last night) and it was fine up to the point I parked up, that footage is completely missing.

As the purpose of my dashcam is to capture an incident should one happen I need to have faith that the camera is recording up until I cut the power.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to get the camera to save the last file?

I've got the settings set to power off immediately which is what I read in a dashcam setup page on here, is that correct?

Did I remove the SD card to soon?

(Just checked and the end of last nights journey isn't recorded either)

Ensure that 'Power Off Disconnect' is set to 'Immediate' in mSetup. I know you say above that you've done so, but it's worth checking in case you forgot to click on 'Set Parameters'. Note that the winking rear red LED should extinguish within a couple of seconds of cutting external power.

If 'Power Off Disconnect' is set to 'Immediate', check that the capacitor is firmly plugged into the camera's connector. If that doesn't fix it the capacitor may be faulty. In which case reinstall the battery & check that the clip being recorded, when external power is cut, is saved.

Will check the settings tonight, is there a guide for testing the capacitor?

Checked the settings and power off is set correctly, also watch when I cut the power and no flashing red lights, a couple of blues (using mode 1, yellow)

How do I check the capacitor is working correctly?

Found my problem, still not saving the last file, opened it to check connections as the settings were all ok. Everything looked ok, so retested with the case open and noticed the led was flashing yellow/orange then green, looked in the manual which states green is charging.

Replaced cover, no green light this time.

Re-opened, re-tested and again green light flashing, moved the wires about a bit, replaced cover, then a screw, then the other screw re-testing each time and so far so good.

Will monitor over the next few days to see if its ok.

Arghh all fine last night, put camera back in the car this morning and no green lights only yellow/orange.

More testing when I get home I guess. I did try to different ciggy lighter adapters so I'm confident it's not that, will try with the iPhone charger I was using last night with the 3m cable thats in the car if that fails it's defo the capacitor at fault.

Are you sure your in car charger is able to supply enough current (up to 1A at 5V)? With a super cap there's little back up to smooth out a weak power supply so your charger needs to be rated high enough to supply all the current the mobius needs without voltage sagging.

Maybe you could try a short USB cable and if that eliminates the problem then it could be a sign that the voltage from your in car adapter is marginal.

Yeah I've got those options to try, going to try the current cables with know working power, if that works then its the ciggy lighter, if it doesn't try a different cable etc until I reach the capacitor.

I have the same problem as op.

In the settings is Power Off Disconnect is set to 0 the connection between capacitor and mobius is good.

I use a short 50 centimeter USB cable.

While recording the yellow and red LEDs are blinking 1 sec on and 1 sec off.

My problem is still happening. I think it's fine for short clips but the 5min ones don't have enough power to be saved.

Going back to battery for now.

I switched to 3 minute videos now, maybe the capacitor is strong enough to save that file now.

But I have another bigger problem with the capacitor. After turning of the engine off and then continue driving the Mobius doesn't start to record videos again. As always the yellow and red LEDs are blinking like everything is good but after checking the SD card afterwards there is no file recorded after the car standstill.

Sorry for the late reply, did switching to 3 mins make any difference?

I switched back to battery as I was going away and wanted the dash cam working, on battery it's worked perfect.

I have noticed that my camera has rectangle leds and the ones I've seen in videos are round, maybe newer ones draw a little more power?

I'have not tried it yet. I will tell you if it works or not as soon as I've tested it.

I thought so. Too bad I didn't know that before buying a capacitor.

But I think loosing the last file is a little bit better than melting the construction of my self-built housing because of the heat problem with the battery.

Although an old thread, I have the same problem and am wondering if you ever solved this? My cam is set to 5 min intervals, but whenever the last segment is less than 5 minutes, it is not saved. So if I arrive home, park and turn off the car at 4 min and 59 sec from the last segment, the entire 4 min 59 sec is not saved. Any crash strong enough to knock out my power and I'm pretty much screwed.

Although an old thread, I have the same problem and am wondering if you ever solved this? My cam is set to 5 min intervals, but whenever the last segment is less than 5 minutes, it is not saved. So if I arrive home, park and turn off the car at 4 min and 59 sec from the last segment, the entire 4 min 59 sec is not saved. Any crash strong enough to knock out my power and I'm pretty much screwed.

As mentioned previously in this thread, if using a super-capacitor make sure you set the camera option for "Power-Off Disconnect" to "Immediate".

Mobius_001.jpg

Last edited:
Back