Mobius Super Capacitor.

niko, if you are looking on the search link you provided on Aliexpress, you will see the Vinatech supercaps are expensive, about $17/pc.
I remember that Mobius developer was searching for some chinese capacitor but he didn't found any model maybe because of too big size and he was forced to use the expensive Vinatech compared to some cheap chinese.

If these capacitors are so expensive I was expecting the developer to find a solution to use some small battery just for the clock. In this way he could use cheap capacitors just for saving and turning off the camera. But if that batteries can be affected by the heat too, why not a dedicated cheap supercap just for the clock?
But if the PCB was made before the capacitors idea I think this is the only solution.

enjoy,
Mtz

niko, if you are looking on the search link you provided on Aliexpress, you will see the Vinatech supercaps are expensive, about $17/pc.
I remember that Mobius developer was searching for some chinese capacitor but he didn't found any model maybe because of too big size and he was forced to use the expensive Vinatech compared to some cheap chinese.

If these capacitors are so expensive I was expecting the developer to find a solution to use some small battery just for the clock. In this way he could use cheap capacitors just for saving and turning off the camera. But if that batteries can be affected by the heat too, why not a dedicated cheap supercap just for the clock?
But if the PCB was made before the capacitors idea I think this is the only solution.

enjoy,
Mtz

Agree with you, buying per 1 ( 2 pcs ) from Ali + shipping is very expensive.
My local Chinese sources can get same ones for much cheaper, but this time Vinatech was out of stock in their place and re-stocking would take up to 1 week and I wanted to get B4 Xmas. ( I quoted this super cap: VINATECH 2.7V 10F (10 x 30mm ) VEC2R7106QA

So I took what they had in stock some Taiwan brand ( 10mm diameter x 30mm length ) 2.7Volt 10F ( Farad ), so it is only for test purpose, but if it will fit and works fine for me, then next time I go with Vinatech.

Hope to receive B4 Xmas and test on holidays.

can someone give me a quick recap about the Scaps?
I guess theres no official version with Scaps right?
Which ones did you guys use (Isoprop, Mtz)? how long did hold on average? is it worth it? any disadvantages you noticed while using the super caps?

One of my fiends recommended me YEC, high quality Taiwan brand.
I chose PL series Supercap 10 x 30mm 10F 2.7V, where 2pc bridged will give strong power reserve 5F and needed 5.4 Volt.

YEC.jpg

I did only first quick physical fitments tests and it looks like it fits, but did not yet fully installed. I still not decided yet how I fit them: across or long way, will see when will be doing job. After wrapping into capton tape it will be tight fit.
Will try to finish project in some stage "next year", 2104 is pretty close already :)

Capscitor for Mobius (1).jpg

Capscitor for Mobius (2).jpg

Capscitor for Mobius (3).jpg

Capscitor for Mobius (4).jpg

Capscitor for Mobius (5).jpg

let us know how it goes.
seems pretty tight perpendicular. you sure it'll fit with all the soldering?

let us know how it goes.
seems pretty tight perpendicular. you sure it'll fit with all the soldering?

As I mentioned, it will be very tight with capton tape and also as you said soldering, so at this moment I am not sure of anything ;). Fitting across it is almost impossible, but long way there are enough room. Will see how it goes.

Hi everyone,
We are now stocking a super capacitor (http://joovuu.com/gb/home/95-mobius-super-capacitor-.html). It comes directly from the Mobius supplier and they recommend it for the Mobius. I have no expertise in this field just as a forewarning but this is what the Mobius team use and recommend and it was shipped directly from them.

Happy New Year and holidays to everyone!

JooVuu

Hi everyone,
We are now stocking a super capacitor (http://joovuu.com/gb/home/95-mobius-super-capacitor-.html). It comes directly from the Mobius supplier and they recommend it for the Mobius. I have no expertise in this field just as a forewarning but this is what the Mobius team use and recommend and it was shipped directly from them.

JooVuu

Great news.
Can you tell what F is written on the super-caps and what is size of individual capacitor ( diameter and length ).
THanks.

Hi everyone,

JooVuu

Nice - all set up soldered, wrapped and ready to plug straight in.

I am surprised the Chinese ebay sellers have not got these capacitors for sale.

I thought the two main ebay sellers were also the Mobius supplier.

not sure what connection they have, on eBay they're the only ones logically that would probably bother with these, I see @JooVuu has them in stock already so they're certainly available and his price is quite cheap too

Great news.
Can you tell what F is written on the super-caps and what is size of individual capacitor ( diameter and length ).
THanks.

I hope niko gets an answer to this question.

I thought the two main ebay sellers were also the Mobius supplier.
They are, and they should also have the capacitors in stock, unless they sold them all to Joovuu :).
I believe they only ordered a small amount because they are not sure how well they will sell.

How much effort is required to open the mobius, and replacing the existing battery with the capacitor? Also, what are the pros and cons with better vs capacitor?

EDIT (quoted from niko in another thread):

Pros / cons of capacitor vs battery in dash camera.

Battery based dash cams has been reported having problems working in hot countries, due to battery overheating or even exploding. Many manufacturers advertise having battery in dash cam as positive thing, - you can record videos even without external power source, - yes thats true, but let's think in real life we all have mobile phones these days, so we can use them to record footage outside the car if needed. Most battery based dash camera will record around 20-30 minutes if fully charged and this is when they are new. ( latest Mobius and Innovv can record about 1h +/- ). After some period batteries lose their memory ( capacity ) and you are lucky if you can record few minutes footage. After some period of use batteries in many cases can die, so you end up in situation where your dash camera will not save last video file which is in most accidences is the most important video footage you want to keep as an evidence.

With Capacitor based dash cameras there are almost no worries with overheating issue, no exploding batteries, no risk of last file not saved. The only drawback with capacitor based dash cameras is that you can not record footage without external power.

Last edited:
How much effort is required to open the mobius, and replacing the existing battery with the capacitor? Also, what are the pros and cons with better vs capacitor?

looks to be very easy if you buy the Mobius supplied one, benefits are purely for permanent power use

Probably not that much effort as it has pins on one end like it's predecessor the 808#16 which was a straightforward thing to change the battery. Advantage to using caps would be in constant use (hardwired, running when car is off) as well as hot climate/summer/car parked in sun environment. One less thing to worry about.

I don't use my mobius when my car is off... so I hope I won't run into any overheating issues.

Any idea as to how reliable these capacitors are? I used to be in the PC business and I've seen my fair share of blown/leaking capacitors, I prefer solid caps whenever possible.

Back