Mobius Super Capacitor.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 4 months & 4 years 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Thanks Russ, thats good to know.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 5 months & 4 years 2 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

All good for mine since I added the circuit (discussed earlier.) Both auto start fine, but I do lose the date if the vehicle sits more than 6-7 days.

I've reverted back to regular batteries on my 2 installed Mobius. The car that they are mounted in is not my primary vehicul and can sit for many weeks between drives. I was tired of constantly having to update the clock. I wish there was a way to just connect a coin cell to maintain the real time clock. I looked that the circuit board and, alas, no easy way to mod this in :(.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 6 months & 4 years 3 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 6 months & 4 years 3 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Thanks Russ, maybe this will make them realize what the new model (Mobius 1) needs. since it is probably the only one paying the bills!

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 7 months & 4 years 4 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 4 years 4 months & 4 years 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Russ are your Mobius M1 cameras version 1 or 2?

I bought the first in September 2013 & the other in May 2014, so both are version 1.

Thanks russ331, one would think your fantastic service from the Mobius M1 version 1 would turn on a light in Mobius managements head in regard to fixing their Mobius M1 version 3, but I'm afraid that even if the light came on, no one would be home :rolleyes:!

Thanks russ331, one would think your fantastic service from the Mobius M1 version 1 would turn on a light in Mobius managements head in regard to fixing their Mobius M1 version 3, but I'm afraid that even if the light came on, no one would be home :rolleyes:!

3 years since they've released any firmware updates for the M1, I'd say they've moved on

Personally, I have no issues with the V3 version. In fact, I find it (and the V2) have an improvement over one of my V1 cams in my vehicle.
Here in New England in the dead of winter when the temps drop to about 15º below zero Fahrenheit (-26º.11C) the V1 version has some trouble booting up and needs to be plugged in for about 60 seconds until its internals warm up enough and then requires unplugging and replugging to begin recording. The V2 and V3 versions don't seem to have that issue and so they'll boot up and start recording immediately in sub zero tempertures.

Personally, I have no issues with the V3 version. In fact, I find it (and the V2) have an improvement over one of my V1 cams in my vehicle.
Here in New England in the dead of winter when the temps drop to about 15º below zero Fahrenheit (-26º.11C) the V1 version has some trouble booting up and needs to be plugged in for about 60 seconds until its internals warm up enough and then requires unplugging and then replugging. The V2 and V3 versions don't seem to have that issue and so they'll boot up and start recording immediately in sub zero tempertures.

the kind of thing you would expect from a revised version of a PCB, to address those sorts of things

the kind of thing you would expect from a revised version of a PCB, to address those sorts of things

Yes. However when this first began happening, I learned that -15º below zero is the listed low temperature operating spec for the processor, so what it does makes sense. I've wondered if the processor itself got some sort of tweaking or perhaps there is another changed component on the board that helps it function at that temperature?

it's outside the rated temps but they do work in those temps so likely some other upgrade they've done has been the reason why the later ones are ok

it's outside the rated temps but they do work in those temps so likely some other upgrade they've done has been the reason why the later ones are ok

OK, thanks. Whatever was done, I'm pleased that they did it. Just adds to the amazing reliability of these cameras.

Here in New England in the dead of winter when the temps drop to about 15º below zero Fahrenheit (-26º.11C) the V1 version has some trouble booting up and needs to be plugged in for about 60 seconds until its internals warm up enough and then requires unplugging and replugging to begin recording. The V2 and V3 versions don't seem to have that issue and so they'll boot up and start recording immediately in sub zero tempertures.

What did you do about this issue or did you have it with your Version 3 ?

Jan 19, 2018

I've written about the problem in my car - if I leave it sitting for 4 or more days the front Mobius crashes when cranking the engine. This is related to the state of charge of the capacitor (I've ruled out vehicle battery charge by charging it fully before starting.) That one is hooked into the lighting circuit which shuts down ~ 12 minutes after locking the car. If driven within the rough four day period the Mobius auto starts fine. I've got a "delay off" timer I'm looking to install, but I want to first check what sort of standby current the circuit draws. (I don't want to introduce a new fault- the vehicle battery going flat from parasitic drain.)

The rear one is hooked into an "IGN ON" power source and doesn't have that problem (I've got a smart fob push button start ignition so the vehicle goes straight from off to engine running.)

I checked both of them this week and both had lost the date time around December 15th (last recorded file) and reset back to 1st January 2012. This wouldn't be a huge issue (for me), but if you lose the date time regularly it ends up overwriting those 1st Jan 2012 files- which you may have wanted to keep!

Like Quote Reply

Report Bookmark

[IMG]https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/data/avatars/m/43/43311.jpg?1510684357[/IMG]

Radius8

Joined Nov 14, 2017 Messages 97 Likes 81 Location USA Country United States Dash Cam Mobius (x3); SGGCX2

Jan 22, 2018

Looks like you may be better off using some delay start circuit. Some folks over on the Street Guardian section of dashcamtalk were discussing this and they pointed out to some commercially available timers:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/recommended-hard-wire-kit-with-timer-option.32653/

Or if you are somewhat handy with a soldering iron, you can build this "delay-ON" circuit for pretty cheap using widely available components (replace the LED with a transistor and relay + flyback protection diode):
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/555-timer-delay-before-turn-on-circuit.php

I have been using something like that, also DIY, in my daily driver for a few years and it work well enough. Of course, the better way to handle these startup issue would be to use a circuit that will only turn on once the system voltage is greater than some threshold like 13.3 V or what ever voltage your car puts out when the motor is running. I have an idea for such circuit but have not yet ordered parts.

What did you do about this issue or did you have it with your Version 3 ?

Jan 19, 2018

I've written about the problem in my car - if I leave it sitting for 4 or more days the front Mobius crashes when cranking the engine. This is related to the state of charge of the capacitor (I've ruled out vehicle battery charge by charging it fully before starting.) That one is hooked into the lighting circuit which shuts down ~ 12 minutes after locking the car. If driven within the rough four day period the Mobius auto starts fine. I've got a "delay off" timer I'm looking to install, but I want to first check what sort of standby current the circuit draws. (I don't want to introduce a new fault- the vehicle battery going flat from parasitic drain.)

The rear one is hooked into an "IGN ON" power source and doesn't have that problem (I've got a smart fob push button start ignition so the vehicle goes straight from off to engine running.)

I checked both of them this week and both had lost the date time around December 15th (last recorded file) and reset back to 1st January 2012. This wouldn't be a huge issue (for me), but if you lose the date time regularly it ends up overwriting those 1st Jan 2012 files- which you may have wanted to keep!

Like Quote Reply

Report Bookmark

[IMG]https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/data/avatars/m/43/43311.jpg?1510684357[/IMG]

Radius8

Joined Nov 14, 2017 Messages 97 Likes 81 Location USA Country United States Dash Cam Mobius (x3); SGGCX2

Jan 22, 2018

Looks like you may be better off using some delay start circuit. Some folks over on the Street Guardian section of dashcamtalk were discussing this and they pointed out to some commercially available timers:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/recommended-hard-wire-kit-with-timer-option.32653/

Or if you are somewhat handy with a soldering iron, you can build this "delay-ON" circuit for pretty cheap using widely available components (replace the LED with a transistor and relay + flyback protection diode):
http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/555-timer-delay-before-turn-on-circuit.php

I have been using something like that, also DIY, in my daily driver for a few years and it work well enough. Of course, the better way to handle these startup issue would be to use a circuit that will only turn on once the system voltage is greater than some threshold like 13.3 V or what ever voltage your car puts out when the motor is running. I have an idea for such circuit but have not yet ordered parts.

I'm a bit confused by all these links you've included in your post but the problem I describe is unrelated to any of those solutions. The V1 start-up issue I describe is purely temperature related so delaying start-up wouldn't accomplish anything. Powering the camera for a minute or so warms up the circuitry and then unplugging and replugging it will then allow it to boot up. It's not that bug a deal as far as I am concerned and I don't mind dealing with it on the occasions when the temps drop that low.

I seem to get more than four days date and time charge out of my Mobius super-capacitors although I admit I haven't let them go more than two days at a time for quite awhile now. I'm not sure what to suggest but maybe just try to start your car up periodically when you can?

Last edited:
Back