Mobius Super Capacitor.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams exactly 5 years & 4 years 9 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

I've used front/rear stock Mobius cams in my car since they first came out, even transplanting them when I traded my '02 Ram, installing them in a '17 Durango. I've always wanted to upgrade to the super caps, but never got around to it. Stock performance is fine, as long as I at least start the car once every 8 days or so (which usually happens organically, so I've only lost programming once on a long vacation). They hold all programming data about 8 days before "losing their minds".

I've used front/rear stock Mobius cams in my car since they first came out, even transplanting them when I traded my '02 Ram, installing them in a '17 Durango. I've always wanted to upgrade to the super caps, but never got around to it. Stock performance is fine, as long as I at least start the car once every 8 days or so (which usually happens organically, so I've only lost programming once on a long vacation). They hold all programming data about 8 days before "losing their minds".
Are you saying that you have used a 2x Mobius for 6 years as dashcams running on batteries? Have you ever replaced the batteries? I'm surprised they still function for up to 8 days.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams exactly 5 years & 4 years 9 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

any memory cards replaced in that time?

Are you saying that you have used a 2x Mobius for 6 years as dashcams running on batteries? Have you ever replaced the batteries? I'm surprised they still function for up to 8 days.
Yes. Original stock batteries. They're installed to auto-record when the ignition is turned on, and remain recording for 30seconds after ignition is shut off, both front and rear cams. Rear cam is setup to record upside down. I also run two SQ-8 cheapo cube cams for left/right front windows (tolerable pic quality, but no sound and "glitchy", unreliable performance). The SQ-8's are running default anyway.
The Mobius are 100% stock. And I only lost my settings one time(that I recall), when I flew out of town for 10 days. The stock "batteries" will hold settings for at least 8 days, but I don't know exactly when they die -- just that at some time between 8 and 10 days, when they will reset to factory defaults. I purchased them new around 2011/2012 (I think) when I first learned of them. I've often gone Sunday-to-Sunday not driving the Durango (I'm retired, usually with no place I have to go, and have a dirt bike for 7-11 trips). Bottom line; Cams never lose my preference settings.

Last edited:
Amazed that those batteries lasted so well in Florida. Here in upstate SC (which is equal or cooler in summer) mine only went 2 months before the battery swelled pushing the case apart. Switched to caps then.

Looking back at the beginning of this thread is enlightening. Nobody was certain about anything regards caps and predictions of lifetime and functionality were mostly guesses. And the earliest attempts were DIY; it was some time before Mobius offered them, and only as a separate purchase you swapped out yourself. Now everyone is using caps, they're reliable, and cams come with them already installed.

We've come a long way since then, and were it not for Mobius and those experimenting with this cam it's likely that few cams would have caps today instead of many. I'd love to see Mobius that far ahead of the game once again ;)

Phil

What's your typical usage per day of the cameras?
One hour per day for the Mobius in my car. The other has been doing duty in my girlfriend’s car for the past few years, & also gets around one hour use per day.

One hour per day for the Mobius in my car. The other has been doing duty in my girlfriend’s car for the past few years, & also gets around one hour use per day.

The multiple super-capacitored Mobi running in my vehicle, including one of 2013 vintage often run for far longer than that with full time parking mode on power banks, sometimes as much as six or seven hours per day. They all perform with the same reliability you report Russ. The V1 pcb 2013 Mobius sometimes fails to boot up in extreme sub zero (F) temperatures and needs to remain plugged in for about 60 seconds to warm up the DSP (edit: or perhaps some other component) before it will boot, while the V2 and V3 models don't experience that problem. Still, the bullet-proof reliability of these cameras is quite remarkable. Interestingly, one of the cameras is running an original 32GB SanDisk Ultra class 10 memory card also purchased in 2013. The consensus is that those SanDisk cards are to be avoided like the plague yet this one has uncountable tens of thousands of hours of recording time on it and just won't quit. But that's really another story that I plan to tell another time, perhaps when it finally gives up the ghost from old age.

Last edited:
Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 1 month & 4 years 10 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 2 months & 4 years 11 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Amazed that those batteries lasted so well in Florida. Here in upstate SC (which is equal or cooler in summer) mine only went 2 months before the battery swelled pushing the case apart. Switched to caps then.

Looking back at the beginning of this thread is enlightening. Nobody was certain about anything regards caps and predictions of lifetime and functionality were mostly guesses. And the earliest attempts were DIY; it was some time before Mobius offered them, and only as a separate purchase you swapped out yourself. Now everyone is using caps, they're reliable, and cams come with them already installed.

We've come a long way since then, and were it not for Mobius and those experimenting with this cam it's likely that few cams would have caps today instead of many. I'd love to see Mobius that far ahead of the game once again ;)

Phil
I hear ya... But so far, so good.
However; I have had to take a heat gun and "re-stress" the plastic bracket that cradles the cams because he sun warps them so badly, the cams fall outta them.
Annoying.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 3 months & exactly 5 years ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 4 months & 5 years 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 5 years 4 months & 5 years 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Time flies.

So basically from reading and looking at spytec.com all I need is the möbius camera and their super capacitor that sells for $10 to convert the camera from battery? I plan on using two of these for side mounted cameras with the visor mounts.

Yes that is correct

Back