Mobius very long StandBy mode ?

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

I'm using the Mobius Lens C as a security cam. The camera is small and image is great. The motion detection works very well with short timeout !

BUT I have to plug it to keep it alive weeks :-( Some camera like Blink (Kickstarter) use PIR detector to wake up camera and keep it wire free for 10 Months.

Is there clever tricks to keep Mobius alive only a week shooting short video in motion ?

Thanks,
Jp

Here is the link of the KicksStarter product:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/505428730/blink-wire-free-hd-home-monitoring-and-alert-syste

It should be deliverred this summer, all updates are positive.

How did they do that ?
- The PIR wakeup the camera
- It takes only up to 15s video
- It is 720P not 1080P

In fact Arduino board consume too much battery because of software interrupt. So I assume Blink redesign a board around the PIR camera to handle 1 Year battery life.

I know it is not possible with Mobius but I would love at least get 1-2 week of battery life without an horrible USB Power. I don't know if there is a kind of trick ?
- Bigger battery ?
- PIR associated to main board ?
- Modified Mobius model ?

That kickstarter product is only rated for five and half hours of recording as their average usage for a year, optimistic maybe

Yes 5.5H = 330Min = 2000 videos clip of 10s that's enough if you need to detect a robery or monitoring a place like a garage or wine cave or ...

To compare with my Mobius in motion detection mode I have 1000 video clip of average 15s in a week of the kitchen. (Yes that's a lot but it was a test)

Yes 5.5H = 330Min = 2000 videos clip of 10s that's enough if you need to detect a robery or monitoring a place like a garage or wine cave or ...

To compare with my Mobius in motion detection mode I have 1000 video clip of average 15s in a week of the kitchen. (Yes that's a lot but it was a test)

so based on your real world test of actual motion detected their camera is never going to last anything like the amount of time they claim in between battery replacements

I don't understand you answer,

- My use case is having a "wire free" camera for, let's say, 2 week in a room with lots of motion. According to Math it should works with Blink.
- They claim "a year" because their use case is not "a room with lots of motion" but "security" or "rooms with few motions" and it should also work

My starting question was is there a trick to go wire free with Mobius I love ? Or did some people create a "Mobius with PIR" version ? Or a large capacity battery ?

my point is the week of use you did showed 1000 movements detected, their proposed figures are based on around 40 movements detected per week, do you really feel that's a realistic number?

Perhaps their battery life isn't going to be anywhere near what it's claimed to be, if there were only 40 movements detected per week either there's very little activity or the motion detect is not sensitive at all

it sounds like a great idea but I don't see how the number stack up

40/week is realistic if there is a on/off feature for security. They might activate the cam while leaving home. Or for room with very few activity like "wine cellar" or garage, etc...

40/week is realistic if there is a on/off feature for security. They might activate the cam while leaving home. Or for room with very few activity like "wine cellar" or garage, etc...

if nothing in the room then of course no activity, it's not really a set and forget device though if you have to keep interacting to turn it on and off, if you remember to do that

Back