Most reliable dash cam?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
I'm a current Mini 0806 owner and while reading through these forums I've noticed that none of today's dash cams seem to be very reliable. Am I missing something? In your opinion, who makes the highest quality, most reliable dash cam?

I'm a current Mini 0806 owner and while reading through these forums I've noticed that none of today's dash cams seem to be very reliable. Am I missing something? In your opinion, who makes the highest quality, most reliable dash cam?

What is your budget and dashcam priorities ( size, functions, etc ) ?

Would be nice to have one that's stands out and performs head over heels above all others, form, function and affordable. Short of that I'd settle for known built quality, with reliable components, fast knowledgeable technical aftersales service and support.
Top on my choice now is Street Guardian.

I think the majority of the units most often discussed here are focused more on size and price point. Those two factors are incompatible with long term reliability and resistance to environmental factors.
A major jump in reliability comes in a major jump in price. Something you would see in a commercial vehicle, police vehicle, etc... Remote camera going to a stand alone digital recorder.
I'm not looking to bash or insult the manufacturers or vendors here, they seem to put out a good product for the market they are in. But as always, with everything, you get what you pay for. That will never change.

I think the majority of the units most often discussed here are focused more on size and price point. Those two factors are incompatible with long term reliability and resistance to environmental factors.
A major jump in reliability comes in a major jump in price
. Something you would see in a commercial vehicle, police vehicle, etc... Remote camera going to a stand alone digital recorder.
I'm not looking to bash or insult the manufacturers or vendors here, they seem to put out a good product for the market they are in. But as always, with everything, you get what you pay for. That will never change.

How long is long-term though?
I'm not so sure. The mobius is reasonably priced & does a great job. It's also a robust little cam, it has to be to survive the punishment meted out by the RC community - I'm thinking about those little 4x4s that get bounced all over rough terrain.
In the time (18 months?) I've had my cam, I've dropped it a couple of times & it's still going strong, over 3000 hours and counting. Convert 3000 hours to your average commuter & you've got to be looking at a lifetime of driving.
Of course, a cam is only ever going to be as good as the SD card and the power supply. In my case, both card and converter died long ago. Then again, the converter is running constantly for over 9 hrs (and is in the windscreen so gets even hotter than normal) and the card is overwritten every 1.5 days.

My theory on the longevity of the mobius has something to do with the simplicity of the machine - it only has to do 2 things - record Video & audio.
Take the same machine & expect it to also log gps and/or G-sensor info, that same processor now has to work so much harder, adding a screen also puts a little bit more onto the processor.

As for getting what you pay for, well, the G1W seems to perform really well and that's insanely cheap.
To be honest, my DR32 cost almost £100 and died at 8 months, my mobius cost half that & has lasted twice as long.
If it died tomorrow I wouldn't be upset, I've had my money's worth & I'd get another in a heartbeat - unless something better comes along.

Increasingly over the past few years, many new motor vehicles have come equipped with cameras from the vehicle factory. Some are backup cameras, and others point forward and may be inside the car cabin or perhaps in front somewhere.

Has anyone looked at which company supplies these carcams? Surely, with new car warranties typically being 2 or 3 years, these cameras must be reliable?
Some of these factory-installed cameras are often subject to profoundly much harsher conditions than the interior cabin where I would guess most of us on this forum use our dashcams.

Increasingly over the past few years, many new motor vehicles have come equipped with cameras from the vehicle factory. Some are backup cameras, and others point forward and may be inside the car cabin or perhaps in front somewhere.

Has anyone looked at which company supplies these carcams? Surely, with new car warranties typically being 2 or 3 years, these cameras must be reliable?
Some of these factory-installed cameras are often subject to profoundly much harsher conditions than the interior cabin where I would guess most of us on this forum use our dashcams.

Those are VGA for reversing and 360 degree view or smart parking, and 720p for dashcams and only very few cars has them. I havnt seen yet any well known car brands that has good / reliable 1080p dashcams built in from factory for international market.

I have a vicovation EZ model for over two years in my work truck run on average 12 hours a day never had a problem. The charger never gets hot and running on 24v most others have died.

I nominate Smarty BX1000. Old tech (640x480 & no sound :) ), BUT! 4 1/2 years of daily operation and not a single issue.

138281554178991_dvr.GIF

Back