Motorcyclist lane splitting and running red lights

flank

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119S

The first scene with the cycle rider splitting lanes through turning cars seems a little dangerous? Or is this standard practice with cycle riders?

A friend of mine is big into motorcycles in California, and while lane splitting isn't explicitly allowed, it's not actually illegal either.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/about/lane_splitting

The other issue with motorcycles is that they won't necessarily trip the sensors for left turn arrows, so they can be left completely stuck in left turn lanes when the sensors don't trip and they never get a green arrow to turn. I'm not sure what the status of laws are in California regarding that, but some states are now allowing motorcyclists and bicyclists to basically treat red left turn arrows as a 4-way stop, and are allowed to proceed if the intersection is clear. That said, I've seen motorcyclists do plenty of stupid stuff. A former colleague had one popping wheelies behind him in rush hour stop and go traffic. Guess what? Traffic came to a stop with this guy's front wheel in the air, and down it came on my colleague's TRUNK and down went the bike. :rolleyes:

Awesome riding, respect to most of them!

...hope you aren't about, raging in jealousy when I'm about.

over

If you want to show off what sort of stud you are on a bike, there are plenty of track days in the US.
The street is an arena for fools.

ah well, I'll get in a truck, few camera's installed and die pathetic nobody....

A friend of mine is big into motorcycles in California, and while lane splitting isn't explicitly allowed, it's not actually illegal either.

I don't care if they lane split in traffic so long as it is done safely. First scene, splitting through cars while they were turning didn't seem safe to me but I don't ride a moto so I'm not really sure if that was a squid move or not. Second scene, I was already doing 80mph in the fast lane and so were all the other cars.
sl4oe1.jpg

let's see the notes, you'd have here :D

let's see the notes, you'd have here :D

ah well, I'll get in a truck, few camera's installed and die pathetic nobody....

The whole human population is a pathetic nobody, or a unique somebody, we all choose to put either one or the other into our understanding of humanity.

The whole human population is a pathetic nobody, or a unique somebody, we all choose to put either one or the other into our understanding of humanity.
yeah... I know, I want to have the harmless to others fun on "the way out" ;)

I don't care if they lane split in traffic so long as it is done safely. First scene, splitting through cars while they were turning didn't seem safe to me but I don't ride a moto so I'm not really sure if that was a squid move or not. Second scene, I was already doing 80mph in the fast lane and so were all the other cars.
California is considering a law that would make lane splitting legal but would restrict the top speed to 50 mph or 15 mph over surrounding traffic. The prior CHP guidelines were 30 mph as "not safe" and not more than 10 mph faster than traffic. The motorcyclists are actually opposing the law since they could now get ticketed for violations.

Lane splitting is fine when getting around stalled traffic. Lane splitting while turning is a different question. In this case the rider pulled between cars waiting to turn but should have chosen a lane during the turn. The car in the left lane did a U-turn so it is hard to say what the rider would have done if the car had continued on. I don't know if the new law will cover turns. Time to write my legislators. ;)

The car in the left lane did a U-turn so it is hard to say what the rider would have done if the car had continued on.

That U turn car was most dangerous car. He did an illegal U turn into the other lane's green light. This turn is also a very weird turn. The arc is not standard. It is a very sharp left turn, you have to throw your steering wheel to the left very much to do the turn right. A wide normal turn would smash into the neighboring car. This small road on the left was not suppose to handle all these cars. The office park got built up and the roads didn't get wider.

Here is a Lexus SUV pulling the same illegal U turn. Luckily, this type of U turn is rare and I don't see it often here.

xc98ww.jpg

Better to die a pathetic nobody than to die on the pavement like some 4 legged roadkill that wandered across the highway...

Awesome riding, respect to most of them!
Either you're joking or maybe, trolling. What's so awesome ? and what they did to deserve "respect" ? I don't think riding a motorcycle it's enough. ;) Maybe some people are too easily impressed.

Either you're joking or maybe, trolling. What's so awesome ? and what they did to deserve "respect" ? I don't think riding a motorcycle it's enough. ;) Maybe some people are too easily impressed.
Sorry either way dada.... :0

:D
there are types of mindsets, one being a biker and... (let you finish it ;) l

There's not really anything illegal going on here from what I can tell. Lane splitting has been an allowed and accepted practice in California since the 70's. One of the original rationals was to stop bikes of that era from overheating in the hot summers. However all studies have shown it to be SAFER for the biker to split than not split. Obviously this is only true when splitting is done in a safe and prudent manner. But in California for example where I live, ride and lane split all the time a study was done comparing California to Texas and Florida. Two other states where year round riding is the norm. They found that on average a motorcyclist in California was 40% less likely to be rear ended than in Florida or Texas where the practice is outlawed. This is because when approaching a traffic light a biker that splits to the front essentially is using the much larger cars for protection so they don't become a biker sandwich.

Lane splitting on the highway is a little less safe but you have to read ahead and know how to do it properly. For example, I always ride like I'm invisible and the soccer mom texting her husband in the SUV next to me doesn't see me. When I go to pass a vehicle I do it very quickly, then I'll slow down, leave a space cushion and wait to pass the next vehicle. If traffic is stopped I'm never going more than 25 or 30mph which gives me enough time to scrub off some speed if someone decides to jump in or out of the carpool lane. Plus, on a bike you sit much higher than in a car and have a pretty good view of the playing field.

Now.... when traffic is doing 80mph I sit back in the carpool lane and cruise along with it giving me enough space in front and maintaining an out. No reason to split at those speeds.

Many car drivers who are against lane splitting say it's "dangerous". For who? The car driver? LOL They just get butt hurt because they're stuck in traffic while bikers get to move through it. If they don't like it, they can get a bike and join the fun.

Also, as stated by someone earlier, many times motorcycles can't set off the sensors buried under the road to trigger the left turn arrow. If a full light cycle has been completed and the arrow doesn't come on for the biker they are allowed to run the red light when it's safe to do so.

Unlike some states the California Highway Patrol motorcycle division actually oversees our state training classes for bikers. I just went through the basic class in January and finished up an advanced class a couple months ago. They teach you the basics of riding, the law and how best to defend yourself against careless drivers.

^ Great post! And I didn't realize the rear-endings stats and safety benefits of lane-splitting for motorcycles. I do "expedite my passes" in my convertible too, for the same reasons. Even though it has the fancy running lights, the fact that it's sitting low, with the top down three seasons out of the year and not an SUV or minivan, just seems to make it invisible to a lot of people. I don't want to be along side of anybody for any length of time, so if my intention is to pass somebody, I do so quickly. Some might call that "aggressive". Same sort of mentality, I just have to assume that I'm invisible around here and that people aren't going to see me. Lost track of the number of times I've been passing someone at a reasonable speed delta of 5 mph or whatever, only to have them start changing into my lane. The next thing you know I'm STANDING on the brakes from the typical 45 mph speeds around here praying that I don't get either side-swiped or rear-eneded. I've been extremely lucky.

^ Great post! And I didn't realize the rear-endings stats and safety benefits of lane-splitting for motorcycles. I do "expedite my passes" in my convertible too, for the same reasons. Even though it has the fancy running lights, the fact that it's sitting low, with the top down three seasons out of the year and not an SUV or minivan, just seems to make it invisible to a lot of people. I don't want to be along side of anybody for any length of time, so if my intention is to pass somebody, I do so quickly. Some might call that "aggressive". Same sort of mentality, I just have to assume that I'm invisible around here and that people aren't going to see me. Lost track of the number of times I've been passing someone at a reasonable speed delta of 5 mph or whatever, only to have them start changing into my lane. The next thing you know I'm STANDING on the brakes from the typical 45 mph speeds around here praying that I don't get either side-swiped or rear-eneded. I've been extremely lucky.
this is why i added AIR HORNS to my miata. my roof (even when it's up) is a good 6" or more lower than the bottom of the side windows on a typical SUV/truck/van, so i really am invisible to them, so i drive that way. i never camp out next to any vehicle (even a bike) because one, it's annoying for both drivers, and two, it's not safe. i do that no matter what i'm driving. 18 wheelers are especially unnerving on the highway... when i can look UP (top down) and see the underside of their trailer from my miata, i know they can't see me. so i NEVER hang out next to them.

and no, my miata is not lowered. that would put me in a tough class for the type of racing i do (scca autocross).

i thought about changing the exhaust on my miata (loud pipes save lives, right?) but i don't want it to sound like all the stupid civics/sentras/etc running around with their fart can mufflers.

so far the only car i've found whose roof is even lower than the miata is a Delorean. :p

...so far the only car i've found whose roof is even lower than the miata is a Delorean. :p
Yeah, those Miata's (Miatas? - what is the plural, "Miatii"?) are pretty much in their own 'low rider' class. :D

Back