Must format every time you take the card out and put it back in?

earlybirdDash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just purchased an A119 and have been impressed thus far by the image quality and usability, but one thing bugs the hell out of me; even though I switched off format notifications, the unit still requires that I format the card every time I take the card out and place it back in. This is slightly annoying, because most of the time, I just want to take the card out for a minute to play back a clip on my laptop, and then place it back in the camera without having to fuss, but this feature requires me to format the card, or else it will halt recording and continue to notify me every time the A119 turns on with ignition. Why is this still happening even after I turned off format warnings in the settings menu? Is there any way to completely stop the unit from giving me ANY format requests? I'll try updating the firmware and report back, but if anyones got any other advice, please share.

Update: Upgraded to the latest firmware and the problem went away. I'll report back if the issue pops back up.

Last edited:
By any chance is your laptop an Apple? They are notorious for writing to the card (even when just reading) in such a manner that many dash cams get 'upset' about it.

By any chance is your laptop an Apple? They are notorious for writing to the card (even when just reading) in such a manner that many dash cams get 'upset' about it.
It is. However, I just upgraded to the latest firmware and the issue went away. Thanks for the heads up though. I wonder why Apple would cause that to happen?

It is. However, I just upgraded to the latest firmware and the issue went away. Thanks for the heads up though. I wonder why Apple would cause that to happen?

if you access the card in a Mac you are better off to format the card in the camera anyway, it can cause the camera to trip up

if you access the card in a Mac you are better off to format the card in the camera anyway, it can cause the camera to trip up
Can't say I've ever had any issues with my other dashcams used in conjunction with my Mac... Nonetheless, I'll be sure to format from the unit as much as possible.

Update: Upgraded to the latest firmware and the problem went away. I'll report back if the issue pops back up.

Was there a specific fix for this issue on Apple computers in the recent firmware upgrade?

Was there a specific fix for this issue on Apple computers in the recent firmware upgrade?
not specific to apple/mac, but they just sort of turned down how sensitive the camera is about the things computers and phones do to SD cards when you plug them in. they all like to write hidden files/folders to the card, or change the "touch" signature on files - one of the ways to track whether a file has been viewed/read.

that said, it's still a good idea to format in camera any time you put the card in your computer - especially if you move/delete files from the card using the computer. the camera doesn't know how to handle the various forms of "recycle bin"/undelete-type things that all the different OSes do with removable media. unfortunately there's no standard out there for that.

however - if you can put the microsd card into a full size SD card adapter, then flip the READ ONLY or PROTECT switch on the adapter so that the PC can't write to the card, you should be ok - the card won't get touched, and the camera won't know that the card has been in a computer and it shouldn't prompt for format.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Skeezix A119 3
BCHobbyist A119 5
D A119 12
S A119 4
K A119 26
Back