Why you must Reset Default Settings after an Update

After a Firmware Update do you reset DEFAULT Settings in Menu ?

• Total voters

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
Why Reset Default Settings after an Update?
Any device with BIOS / Firmware saves user settings on a chip, when the Firmware is updated the saved user settings are cleared forcing user to re-configure all settings.
However if the Firmware Update adds or removes a feature (numeric parameter value in a specific field and address location on the chip) it doesn't always match the pattern of user settings from previous firmware. An overlap of fields can occur causing rogue behavior. To eliminate conflicts and corruption I recommend always RESET the device to Factory DEFAULT Settings this will cause the Dashcam to restart with the new parameter framework for currently loaded BIOS / Firmware. This ensures long term stability and rewards you with the wonderful VIOFO intro once again.

We all want improved performance, fixes and extra features which adds to the coding complexity where rogue errors will occur.

With the rise of Ai each of us must do our part to crush rogue code from all our devices before they merge into SkyNetMatrix and enslave us all . . . always Reset DEFAULT Settings !

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist

I do it for dash cams just because they don't have that many settings and I keep most of them on their default value anyway.
As far as other devices - very rarely - if ever was I forced to reset to defaults.
There are cases when it is necessary, but mostly if they tell you to do a reset, it's just sloppy programming.

I do it for dash cams just because they don't have that many settings and I keep most of them on their default value anyway.
As far as other devices - very rarely - if ever was I forced to reset to defaults.
There are cases when it is necessary, but mostly if they tell you to do a reset, it's just sloppy programming.
Resetting the Defaults is recommended by all computer manufactures after performing a BIOS update, All router firmware updates recommend Reset to Defaults.
If there is a 10% chance it will improve device stability why not perform this minor task? (take out the trash before it smells)
Resistance is Futile

Great advice! Never thought of that before but it is very logical as you explain.

I have never reset settings on computers, phones, watches, cameras, TVs, set top boxes, bike computers or anything else I might have forgotten to list when updating firmware or BIOS. I've never seen instructions to do so with any update I've applied to any device in the past 20 years of using such things. I can't say that I've ever experienced a problem as a result. FWIW when I upgraded my A119 from V2.06 as supplied to V3.3 it reset itself without any request by me to do so.

for the most part you don't need to reset to defaults endless it is documented that it is needed to complete the update.

Back