My A118 saved me from going through a lot of grief with insurance companies

Racer-X

Reaction score
Country
United States

This was a couple of months ago and has been posted in other forums, but I though I would post it here as well.

I was watching the car in front of me and didn't see the guy coming from the right. Considering how long I had a green I shouldn't have worried. Notice the lack of his wheels locking up, although he does honk at me! He didn't speak English, and a coworker of mine that stopped had difficulty translating what he said, but he claimed his brakes didn't "grab". He didn't have a license either, although somehow has insurance. FYI, when the first light you see goes green, the second one you see goes green as well, so his was red for about nine seconds.

I've got two fractured ribs from probably hitting the center console. They hurt as much as people say they do. I don't recommend it for anyone.

No witnesses stopped, and his insurance started to claim I may be partially at fault, but changed their tune when they saw the videos. They were quick to settle a bodily injury claim since they knew he was 100% at fault.

Part 2 (below) is just me groaning. I didn't bother merging the two video files together since I've have better things to do like find a new car since mine is totaled. I ended up with a new car one model year newer.

Right headlight not working. Maybe he was looking for some accident.
missing right.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Looks like he didn't brake, didn't steer, but went straight for the horn. Not sure what he was hoping you'd do by that stage. The car in front of you should have made the situation clear to him, yet he thought he had a right to go through.
Glad it wasn't worse, and the cam helped avoid some of the grief involved with the claim.

It just goes to show that with all the concern about video quality and being able to read number plates etc, even a cheap dash cam can save you from so much hassle.

It just goes to show that with all the concern about video quality and being able to read number plates etc, even a cheap dash cam can save you from so much hassle.
+1

This is a classic example of the primary reason for having a dash cam. Any capability beyond this is a bonus.

Yep plate capture is highly overrated, i can only see 2 cases where you need it and thats 1 : Hit and run, and 2 : damage while parked, and here a good parking mode camera should do well as its generally low speed accidents in a parking lot.

I do use plate capture to evaluate camera performance in general, but in my day to day driving i couldn't be bothered less with it.

Looking at the second video, the crasher does have his brake lights on. He seems to be pulling up only slowly. May or may not be a possibility of a brake issue.

In a recent clip of a young lad driving a bus through a red light & t-boning a woman driver, you'd be amazed at how many out there felt the woman should shoulder some of the blame - mainly saying that a green light only means proceed with caution. they then go on to tell us how they slow down & check both ways...
Not only do we share the roads with morons who don't stop at red lights - but with morons who slow right down at GREEN lights!

it is indeed incredible what some people dish up with on some things, often you just sit there in front of the computer screen, totally lost for words and thinking so this person gotta be no more then 8 years old.

it is indeed incredible what some people dish up with on some things, often you just sit there in front of the computer screen, totally lost for words and thinking so this person gotta be no more then 8 years old.
Sadly some of those morons are full grown adults and they sit in our government buildings, making our laws.

Was about to say; that look awfully familiar, somewhere in Fremont... Those people that drive on that street tends to drive pretty fast.

His brakes sure did work after the wreck. Look at how well the car stopped o_O

Yea, it could have been a brake issue like he said, but he did have about nine seconds of red to get the car stopped, so he should have been going a lot slower by the time he got to me. Assuming he was coming from where he lived, he would have been on the freeway for a few miles and hit a light or two along the way.

I'm thinking he was on his phone before the impact just used the brakes as an excuse. He was on it even before he got out, and that was just a few seconds after his car stopped.

...I'm thinking he was on his phone before the impact just used the brakes as an excuse. He was on it even before he got out, and that was just a few seconds after his car stopped.
Good chance that was the case. A side cam may have shown it but since he was found to be totally at fault it's a moot point.

Back