My dashcam drained my battery..

Older batteries often run at a lower voltage when full, you could set the voltage on the hardwire kit 1 step lower and the battery will probably still be OK. If it doesn't like it then it is an old battery anyway so you don't loose much.

It is set to 11.8v already

I'll try another circuit

It is set to 11.8v already

I'll try another circuit

No, you have to set the battery at 12 plus v. Try 12.2/4/6v if that doesn't correct the situation you will need a new battery.

If the existing battery is 5 years old it's fast approaching death. Trying to use a parking mode on this battery would be ridiculous!

Last edited:
No, you have to set the battery at 12 plus v. Try 12.4/6v if that doesn't correct the situation you will need a new battery.

If the existing battery is 5 years old it's fast approaching death
???

Why i need to set to 12v plus?

If i set to an high voltage cutoff it power off faster right?

???

Why i need to set to 12v plus?

If i set to an high voltage cutoff it power off faster right?
Try doing what you are told and see if it works since you know very little about batteries.

Try doing what you are told and see if it works since you know very little about batteries.

Tried that but the issue remains...

Can you explain me why you suggest that?

Even dedicated power banks Li-FePo4 can feed A129DUO for 24-36 hours (Cellink Neo6 - Neo9). This time can by extended by expansion module, but expansion module will double the cost of power bank and time necessary to fully charged it...

One question about the solution with a simple power bank.

I'm owning a EasyAcc power bank (20,000mAh) which is capable of charging an discharging at the same time (pass through function). The maximum charging is 1.5 to 2 amps.

Does someone know how much amps a normal cigarette lighter in a car can provide? Is it even possible to fully charge a 20,000 mAh power bank with the car cigarette lighter an a usb adapter in between?

One question about the solution with a simple power bank.

I'm owning a EasyAcc power bank (20,000mAh) which is capable of charging an discharging at the same time (pass through function). The maximum charging is 1.5 to 2 amps.

Does someone know how much amps a normal cigarette lighter in a car can provide? Is it even possible to fully charge a 20,000 mAh power bank with the car cigarette lighter an a usb adapter in between?
Yes, however most powerbanks only charge at a rate of 10 Watts, and a typical dashcam uses around 3 Watts, so if you drive for 1 hour, you will only get 3 hours parking.
A full charge of a 20,0000mAh (73 Watt hours) powerbank to get 24 hour parking will take around 8 hours.
Plus you need to keep the powerbank somewhere reasonably cool, not in full sun, not in the hot part of the car.
Plus, you must not charge it if the temperature is below freezing.
- not the best of solutions!

Does someone know how much amps a normal cigarette lighter in a car can provide? Is it even possible to fully charge a 20,000 mAh power bank

In most Honda cars maximum output of cigarette socket is 180W = 15A @ 12V. Power bank designed especially for car cameras have energy consumption limited to 5A while connected to the lighter socket. Full power consumption is enabled while hardwired. Main factor is cable limitation.

As @Nigel wrote normal power bank have limited charging rate. So it's possible to fully charge normal power bank, but it will take hours!

For compassion Cellink Neo6 / B-124 have capacity of 6000mAh @ 12V = 14 400mAh @5V and to fully charge while connected via lighter socket it takes 80 minutes.

I can confirm now for sure that somewhere between day 3 and day 4 of recording in PM the cam stopped recording.
Went to the car in day 3 just to transfer something from boot to my daughter's car and I checked the red leds: left and right one's on. I kinda expect that due the previous winter experience with negative temperatures. Closed the car and left. Next day (4th) when get there before starting engine I saw that leds were both off so, guess this is the limit of recording in PM for my car in this actual setting. No more than 4 days. Engine started without any problem and temperatures these days were between 5 (night) and 10 (day) °C.
Can't be more satisfied with the results.
Cheers gents.

Sent from my [emoji637] [emoji809] [emoji642] using Tapatalk Pro

I can confirm now for sure that somewhere between day 3 and day 4 of recording in PM the cam stopped recording.
Went to the car in day 3 just to transfer something from boot to my daughter's car and I checked the red leds: left and right one's on. I kinda expect that due the previous winter experience with negative temperatures. Closed the car and left. Next day (4th) when get there before starting engine I saw that leds were both off so, guess this is the limit of recording in PM for my car in this actual setting. No more than 4 days. Engine started without any problem and temperatures these days were between 5 (night) and 10 (day) °C.
Can't be more satisfied with the results.
Cheers gents.

Hi, nice thread to read! And great to hear that your got almost 4 days of recording! But I personally think it is unwise to use it with 11.8V cut off in your car with such a small 12V battery.
I would recommend setting the voltage cut off at 12,2V at the lowest if you have a petrol hybrid. 12,4V would be better.

The reason why is because the alternator in your car charges the big hybrid electric drive battery and that big battery charges your small 12V battery in your car. That is why you read 12,2V when the battery is empty, it means the big battery is slowly charging the small battery.

So your small 40Ah battery is responsible for all the electronics in your car and for starting the engine if the hybrid battery is depleted, empty. The big battery cannot do that sadly. When your small battery is empty and your big battery is also low, you might run into trouble starting the petrol engine eventually.

Unless this is a plug-in hybrid car of course :).

The reason why is because the alternator in your car charges the big hybrid electric drive battery and that big battery charges your small 12V battery in your car. That is why you read 12,2V when the battery is empty, it means the big battery is slowly charging the small battery.

Alternator in hybrid car do not charge "the big hybrid electric drive battery". In most hybrid cars there is no alternator at all.

So your small 40Ah battery is responsible for all the electronics in your car and for starting the engine if the hybrid battery is depleted, empty.

"Small" 12V battery is not responsible for starting (in most) hybrid cars.

And @quetzalquatl car is not hybrid.

My car is a regular petrol engine one with S/S and an AGM battery. And cut off is set to 12 V.

My car is an Honda Civic Hybrid. The car battery is 40Ah. My cam is connected with Viofo's 3HK
If i drive the car for 1h and then turn of the engine and get the parking mode low bit rate enabled, if i don't touch the car it will record for the entire night.
If i do the same thing but try with my keyfob open and close the locks, after 1 or 2 minutes the cam shuts down.
The voltage is set to 11.8v and I've checked the circuit before the cable voltage switch and i get 12.1v - 12.2v with multimeter. So i can't understand why this occurs.
I've tried to disconnect the usb power cable from the cam and connect again but i've get no power.
If i turn the engine on the cam power up again

Any sugestion?

Sorry, responded to this post.

Alternator in hybrid car do not charge "the big hybrid electric drive battery". In most hybrid cars there is no alternator at all.

"Small" 12V battery is not responsible for starting (in most) hybrid cars.

And @quetzalquatl car is not hybrid.

Correct, they are charged by the electric motors now being powered by the petrol engine to charge the battery. But it acts as a big alternator of course. The electric motor with built in dc->dc converter just has more than one function.

In the Civic Hybrid and Toyota hybrids the 12V is responsible for starting the engine actually.

Last edited:
In the Civic Hybrid and Toyota hybrids the 12V is responsible for starting the engine actually.
Is the 12V still an old fashioned Lead Acid, or do they use lithium like the main battery?

Old fashioned but that’s ok, the main battery keeps trickle charging the smaller one via the dc to dc converter. so it does not really discharge heavily. Depending on what vehicle you have, the 12V might start the engine or could be only used to power electronics in the car. It’s best to check with your dealer or manufacturer just to make sure.

Are you sure about Toyota? As I know in modern Toyota hybrids petrol engine is started using "hybrid system" not 12V system...

Are you sure about Toyota? As I know in modern Toyota hybrids petrol engine is started using "hybrid system" not 12V system...

It really depends, most Japanese hybrid systems except for the Mazda i-eloop system, use the 12V battery for basically all electronics on board. Meaning radio, lights etc.

In Toyota and Honda systems, the 12V battery is not “actually” used to power a starter motor. Because the internal combustion engine is turned on by the hybrid electrical motor that will power the crankshaft, so the engine will start and there is no need for a starter motor.

So the 12V battery will not exactly start the petrol engine indeed. But it is needed to put the car into “ready” mode, meaning when you put your foot on the brake before you start the car, it will start the hybrid system and computers to start the electric drive part. This will take 1 to 5 seconds normally and then it will show “Ready” on your screen behind the steering wheel.

Most modern Toyota/Honda Hybrids advertise that it will take months for the battery to discharge, but there are quite a lot of complaints from Toyota, Lexus and Honda owners, that say their hybrids won’t even start after leaving it at the airport for a few days or a week. Most of the time that is due to the 12V battery that has died out and is unable to start the computers and hybrid system to start the car.

Most modern Toyota/Honda Hybrids advertise that it will take months for the battery to discharge, but there are quite a lot of complaints from Toyota, Lexus and Honda owners, that say their hybrids won’t even start after leaving it at the airport for a few days or a week. Most of the time that is due to the 12V battery that has died out and is unable to start the computers and hybrid system to start the car.

OK, agree.
Due to mentioned factors I installed power bank for dashcam in InfinitiQ50 hybrid. Installation is described in thread Infiniti Q50 hardwire Viofo A129 GPS Dual .

OK, agree.
Due to mentioned factors I installed power bank for dashcam in InfinitiQ50 hybrid. Installation is described in thread Infiniti Q50 hardwire Viofo A129 GPS Dual .

A good power bank solution is very nice indeed! You would need a power bank that has a pass through function that powers the camera while charging itself. And you would need to store it somewhere cool where it cannot overheat. Some people have a black car and put the power bank under the headliner near the roof but forget that in summers, temperatures can go as high as 45 degrees Celsius in some parts of Europe. So you would go to Munich, Rome and Madrid on holiday by car, have a nice dinner and then return to your car, only to find the smoking remains :p.

A good power bank solution is very nice indeed! You would need a power bank that has a pass through function that powers the camera while charging itself. And you would need to store it somewhere cool where it cannot overheat. Some people have a black car and put the power bank under the headliner near the roof but forget that in summers, temperatures can go as high as 45 degrees Celsius in some parts of Europe. So you would go to Munich, Rome and Madrid on holiday by car, have a nice dinner and then return to your car, only to find the smoking remains :p.
@Sadoka It's a pity that you didn't read mentioned thread ( Infiniti Q50 hardwire Viofo A129 GPS Dual ) before posting. You will find that this installation is equipped with Black-Vue B-124 (equivalent of Cellink Neo6) with LiFePo4 battery. It is passing power directly to the camera while power bank is charging. There is no risk of overheat. It can work up to 60C. It will not explode even in 100C. So before frightening forum users check details, then post.

Back