My first take

Also I did not see my speed on the file, should that be on it?
As mentioned above it can be turned on/off in a menu. I think many people leave it turned off so they can't possibly implicate themselves in having broken the speed limit.

As mentioned above it can be turned on/off in a menu. I think many people leave it turned off so they can't possibly implicate themselves in having broken the speed limit.
For clarification, turning off the GPS stamp will remove it from appearing in the video, but the information is still in the file. When viewed with a compatible viewer (DashCamViewer or Replay), the speed will still be shown within the program. The only way to completely remove it, is to turn GPS off or strip it from the file via a separate program.

My friend mentioned this to me, good idea

My friend mentioned this to me, good idea

As easy as it might be to turn off the gps/speed so that it doesn't show up on a dash cam video or strip the video of the speed after the fact, , I think it would be fairly easy to determine a car's speed . So, bottom line, if you're driving faster than what might be deemed safe (whatever that is) and you have video to show a collision that you know was some other guy's fault, they could determine your speed and say you contributed to the problem... Just sayin'.... So, be careful out there Airborne....keep all your wheels on the ground....lol (btw, I tend to drive faster than most on freeways, so I need to be careful too!)

As easy as it might be to turn off the gps/speed so that it doesn't show up on a dash cam video or strip the video of the speed after the fact, , I think it would be fairly easy to determine a car's speed . So, bottom line, if you're driving faster than what might be deemed safe (whatever that is) and you have video to show a collision that you know was some other guy's fault, they could determine your speed and say you contributed to the problem... Just sayin'.... So, be careful out there Airborne....keep all your wheels on the ground....lol (btw, I tend to drive faster than most on freeways, so I need to be careful too!)
Yes, very easy to determine speed. My wife was in an accident back in March and the lawyers have a company they use to analyze videos like this and they were able tell all sorts of things.

Yes, very easy to determine speed. My wife was in an accident back in March and the lawyers have a company they use to analyze videos like this and they were able tell all sorts of things.
Don't even need the video, you can get an accurate speed from the sound track with an update rate of 1000 fps, unless of course the microphone is muted.

Just came out of the truck and parking mode is not working. Everything works when I turn the truck on, then when I turn it off it stays on until the screen is on, as soon as the display goes off nothing, I have the cable plugged into the gps mount
Something is not right and tomorrow I will bring my meter up and do some voltage checks. Weird it worked Monday, maybe a fuse blew,I am using 3 amp fuses

I hope your wife came out of it without personal injury! - - It's dangerous on the road, that's for sure!

I think personally, knowing the speed is on my video, it "sometimes" causes me to adjust my speed downward a bit. Incidentally, I'm the safest, best driver on the road!!! At least in my opinion!!! ; )

Btw, unless you got rear-ended by someone and it's clear they are at fault, I think it's best that you don't blab that you have dash cam video....use it later, if/when you know it can "help" in your situation. Otherwise it could come back and bite you!

Just came out of the truck and parking mode is not working. Everything works when I turn the truck on, then when I turn it off it stays on until the screen is on, as soon as the display goes off nothing, I have the cable plugged into the gps mount
Something is not right and tomorrow I will bring my meter up and do some voltage checks. Weird it worked Monday, maybe a fuse blew,I am using 3 amp fuses

Airborne - You shouldn't have anything plugged into the GPS mount; plug both wires into the dash cam. It should work then! (Unless you have a newer gps mount which I don't think you do....?)

I hope your wife came out of it without personal injury! - - It's dangerous on the road, that's for sure!

I think personally, knowing the speed is on my video, it "sometimes" causes me to adjust my speed downward a bit. Incidentally, I'm the safest, best driver on the road!!! At least in my opinion!!! ; )

Btw, unless you got rear-ended by someone and it's clear they are at fault, I think it's best that you don't blab that you have dash cam video....use it later, if/when you know it can "help" in your situation. Otherwise it could come back and bite you!

Ok I will try that. If that is not it it will be in the hard wire cut off. I just changed the settings to 12 volt cut off, but I do not think it is that. Stay tuned.

Airborne - You shouldn't have anything plugged into the GPS mount; plug both wires into the dash cam. It should work then! (Unless you have a newer gps mount which I don't think you do....?)

Yes good advice on keeping the dash cam until you see things are cool. I had one accident to my belt 1973 and it was my fault.. Not even 500 miles on the Camero, I was so sick over it. The look in my Dads eyes was all I could take.

I had 2 accidents, first time in my first car when i was 19, second time 3 years ago when i was 50.
So 1 accident every 30 years, and both of them me getting rear ended, i can deal with.
But like the first time the drunken guy shortening my volvo 121 with 2-3 feet and the cops i called and the ones passing by 2 ruined cars not bothering to stop, and so a drunk driver getting off for free, that will not happen again so if i have a run in with a drunk again i do a citizen arrest which force police to attend.

I have never caused a accident, but reversing out from a garage wit the 2 massive steel entry gates only partly open and so only a small gap, and turning the steering wheel too early i did almost tear the Right front fender off the Volvo, the whole light assembly was on the ground, and my "friends" had a good laugh at my stupidity.
Later i laughed long and hard at all of them when they totaled their own cars.

Still parking there i can see by sign over the gate, and the gate have been made smaller, but you can still see the outline of the old Entry to the 50 or so garages there.

Weird part is now it is working and I still have the front camera plugged into the gps mount. I will change it up tomorrow. Maybe it is a intermittent problem. I will do what you suggest. Will the company know if you have a later model and the plugs will not affect the camera.? My camera was purchased a month ago. I guess I will put my cut off on the hard wire kit back the way I had it, with winter coming I do not need to have starting issues

Weird part is now it is working and I still have the front camera plugged into the gps mount. I will change it up tomorrow. Maybe it is a intermittent problem. I will do what you suggest. Will the company know if you have a later model and the plugs will not affect the camera.? My camera was purchased a month ago. I guess I will put my cut off on the hard wire kit back the way I had it, with winter coming I do not need to have starting issues
What is the serial number on the back of the camera?

Unfortunately, she did have some injuries, which is why lawyers are involved. Not her fault and the video made that quite clear fortunately. Totaled a 2018 Santa Fe, though it doesn't take much to total a car these days.

Unfortunately, she did have some injuries, which is why lawyers are involved. Not her fault and the video made that quite clear fortunately. Totaled a 2018 Santa Fe, though it doesn't take much to total a car these days.

Wow....well, it sounds like in your wife's case, the video definitely helped, which is why many people including myself use a dashcam. On the one hand, I don't expect to have an accident, but stuff happens out there!

Without the video, it's amazing what people say they saw when they're really clueless! It's hard to argue with a video!

I believe only when the stakes go up, as in your wife's situration, do attorneys and special investigators get involved in deciphering video tapes. Over 20k, and I imagine they're very willing to spend the extra money.

Back