My GS1000 arrived

dctguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to the guidance I've gotten here at dashcamtalk, I ordered an orange menu GS1000 recently.

It finally showed up today.

Things were a little rocky at first - when I powered it up, whether from my laptop (a Mac running parallels) or a USB power adapter, the screen just displayed "USB Connect" or somesuch. I couldn't get it to do anything else.

Happily, it's stopped doing that. Maybe I needed to put in the memory card, or... I don't know what the problem was.

Here's what the menu looks like:
Code:
RESOLUTION
 - 848x480/30F
 - 848x480/30F
 - 848x480/60F
 - 1280x720/30F
 - 1440x1080/30F
 - 1920x1080/30F
RECORD OVERWRITE
 - NO
 - 1 MIN
 - 2 MIN
 - 5 MIN
 - 10 MIN
 - 15 MIN
MOTION DETECTION
 - NO
 - 1 MIN
 - 3 MIN
 - 5 MIN
POWER ON RECORD
 - ON
 - OFF
POWER ON DELAY
 - OFF
 - 10 SEC
 - 20 SEC
 - 30 SEC
MIC
 - ON
 - OFF
LANGUAGE
 - ENGLISH
 - Presumably Russian, I don't even have these characters on my keyboard :)
TV TYPE
 - NTSC
 - PAL
AUTO POWER OFF
 - OFF
 - 1 MIN
 - 3 MIN
 - 5 MIN
FORMAT
 - NO
 - YES
TIME SETUP
 - YYYY.MM.DD HH:MM
DATE TIME STAMP
 - DATE TIME STAMP
   - ON
   - OFF
 - LOGO STAMP
   - ON
   - OFF
 - SPEED STAMP
   - ON
   - OFF
AUTO LCD OFF
 - OFF
 - 30 SEC
 - 60 SEC
DEFAULT SETTING
 - NO
 - YES
FLICKER
 - 50HZ
 - 60HZ
NIGHT MODE
 - OFF
 - AUTO NIGHT MODE
 - AUTO ANTI GLARE
G SENSOR SET
 - OFF
FIRMWARE VERSION
 - SMH4.35.210512A
I'm a little fuzzy on some of these features, hope somebody can fill me in...

Record Overwrite: I presume this is the file size feature? 1 minute files vs 2 minute files, etc... What does "NO" mean here?

Motion Detection: Only record when motion is detected, and then grab X minutes?

Auto Power Off: I can't think of how this would be useful, what's going on here?

Flicker: Is this related to the HDMI and analog out ports? How is it different from the NTSC/PAL setting?

Night Mode: I probably just need to fiddle with these, see which works better.

G sensor Set: I presume this is a "don't overwrite crash video" setting? What is more sensitive, 1 or 7?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
dctguy said:
I'm a little fuzzy on some of these features, hope somebody can fill me in...

Record Overwrite: I presume this is the file size feature? 1 minute files vs 2 minute files, etc... What does "NO" mean here?

Motion Detection: Only record when motion is detected, and then grab X minutes?

Auto Power Off: I can't think of how this would be useful, what's going on here?

Flicker: Is this related to the HDMI and analog out ports? How is it different from the NTSC/PAL setting?

Night Mode: I probably just need to fiddle with these, see which works better.

G sensor Set: I presume this is a "don't overwrite crash video" setting? What is more sensitive, 1 or 7?

Thanks!

Congrats on the purchase dctguy. Here is what these menu items should do:

Record Overwrite: This enables cycle recording (deletes oldest file when card is full and keeps recording). Setting it to "No" will cause the camera to stop recording when the card is full. The times define the length of the file with cycle recording enabled. 1 minute files are recommended to minimize the gap between files.

Motion Detection: Starts recording automatically if there is motion in the video. It will save the file length chosen. Usually this is set to off when using as a dash cam.

Auto Power Off: How many minutes before turning the camera off (assuming no buttons are pressed and camera is not recording). Really a useless feature when used as a dash cam.

Flicker: This is the utility frequency. Select 60Hz if the power voltage is 110V (Americas). Select 50Hz if the power voltage of the country is 220V.

Night Mode: You can experiment with this but from my experience turn it off, if possible. Using night mode reduces the frame rate and the picture quality is worse.

G sensor Set: When set and a shock or bump is felt, it prevents the files to be overwritten. 1 is the least sensitive, 7 is the most sensitive. You will need to experiment with this to depending on how bumpy your roads are.

Hope this helps.

Dash Cam Man

Awesome, thanks for the explanations!

I knew that file rollover gap was an issue, but hadn't associated with large file sizes before. Writing a 15 minute file to slow flash takes time, and some data might be lost while the camera OS is busy with this task. Great point, I'm glad you called that out so clearly.

Motion Detection - okay, this is more of a surveillance or "wildlife camera" feature. I wonder if this feature works well for dashcam use? Let's say I have an always-on 12V outlet in the car... Leaving the camera running in dashcam mode will wear out the flash card and accomplish little else. But motion sensor mode sounds promising. I imagine it could capture all normal dashcam functions *and* record goings-on in my otherwise motion-free driveway...

Flicker - interesting. I wonder why a DC-powered device is interested in knowing this detail?

G Sensor - How can I tell if the sensor has been tripped? This is probably similar to the "something interesting happened, don't overwrite the current video" funciton, but I'm not sure how to activate that either. I imagine they both result in a file being "locked" somehow...

Thanks again!

dctguy said:
Awesome, thanks for the explanations!

I knew that file rollover gap was an issue, but hadn't associated with large file sizes before. Writing a 15 minute file to slow flash takes time, and some data might be lost while the camera OS is busy with this task. Great point, I'm glad you called that out so clearly.

Motion Detection - okay, this is more of a surveillance or "wildlife camera" feature. I wonder if this feature works well for dashcam use? Let's say I have an always-on 12V outlet in the car... Leaving the camera running in dashcam mode will wear out the flash card and accomplish little else. But motion sensor mode sounds promising. I imagine it could capture all normal dashcam functions *and* record goings-on in my otherwise motion-free driveway...

Flicker - interesting. I wonder why a DC-powered device is interested in knowing this detail?

G Sensor - How can I tell if the sensor has been tripped? This is probably similar to the "something interesting happened, don't overwrite the current video" funciton, but I'm not sure how to activate that either. I imagine they both result in a file being "locked" somehow...

Thanks again!

Hi dctguy,

The motion sensor function could technically work if it has power applied to it but I haven't done it. I think in many of these cameras, if cycle / loop recording is on, the motion detection won't work. These cameras do not advertise a parking mode so I think it won't work.

When I change the flicker setting, I don't notice any difference. I'm not sure if it actually does anything.

For the G Sensor, it will save the files in another folder and won't overwrite it. You will manually need to erase these, otherwise the card will eventually run out of space.

Dash Cam Man

About the flicker setting. I suspect that the street lighting lamps - e.g. sodium lamps - flicker withe the AC power frequency: 50 or 60 Hz. And and if you set the wrong freguency the street lamp light may flicker on the recorded movies.
I have not verified this in practice but I am going to do it :D

Mantom said:
About the flicker setting. I suspect that the street lighting lamps - e.g. sodium lamps - flicker withe the AC power frequency: 50 or 60 Hz. And and if you set the wrong freguency the street lamp light may flicker on the recorded movies.
I have not verified this in practice but I am going to do it :D

the flicker or frequency setting should be matched to whatever power system they use in your area otherwise any AC powered lights that are caught on video will appear to roll on screen during playback which is very distracting (think of when you see television and they have a monitor on in the background and you can see the picture scrolling on the monitor, that is the effect you would see from lights, traffic lights in particular are noticeable with this if the setting is not matched to your local power setting)

I also noticed that the displays of the city buses flicker on my movies (recorded in daylight). I mean the displays showing bus line numbers and destination place shown e.g. here:
http://www.lightrailnow.org/facts/fa_ph ... page01.htm
It is strange - what have the displays to do with the AC power network? :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mantom said:
It is strange - what have the displays to do with the AC power network? :mrgreen:

the AC (alternating current) is flowing at either 50 or 60 cycles per second depending on where in the world you are, matching the frequency setting on the camera to your local conditions cuts the rolling effect you see, it will flicker noticeably if set wrong

jokiin said:
Mantom said:

the AC (alternating current) is flowing at either 50 or 60 cycles per second depending on where in the world you are, matching the frequency setting on the camera to your local conditions cuts the rolling effect you see, it will flicker noticeably if set wrong

Yes, but the buses have 24V DC electrical power systems :D

Mantom said:
jokiin said:
Mantom said:

Yes, but the buses have 24V DC electrical power systems :D

yes they do, LED displays they use have some flicker also, too fast for your eye to see and at what rate I'm not sure, it's not a known and consistent rate like the AC power used in your area which you can at least compensate for

I kind of wondered why some of the street lights flickered on some YouTube videos and then they flickered in my own videos. I made sure to fix the setting on my camera.
Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E GSXXXX 6
D GSXXXX 1
C GSXXXX 5
J GSXXXX 3
R GSXXXX 1
Back