My Mobius thread: initial contact, some questions and why I didn't keep it (read this before buying)

Seems rather grainy to me. But my experience is with the mini 0806 so the comparison may be unfair.
Might be worth testing that WDR setting of 'Low Light'. I'm guessing that will give less grain but possibly more motion blur?

Here a comparison between the AT11DA and the Mobius, in the same place and with the same light and weather conditions:

AT11DA night.jpg Mobius night.jpg

The Mobius seems to be over-exposing.

was your car running? can still vibrate
That problem is solved and it wasn't a vibration, the picture wobbled vertically when passing through bumpy surfaces, like in the video. The engine doesn't vibrate when it's idling (picture 2) and at the petrol station it wasn't running.

what's it like outside the car?
Do you mean the video quality?

have you tried it set to wide and put the quality setting to high?
I only tried wide and standard. The lens was pointed upwards.

Mobius wide standard.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to try a different card, set the camera to wide and high (although I don't want to use neither of them because one is too wide and the other creates too big a files) and shoot some video outside the car at night, but at this point I'm very close to pack it up and return it.

Seems rather grainy to me. But my experience is with the mini 0806 so the comparison may be unfair.
Might be worth testing that WDR setting of 'Low Light'. I'm guessing that will give less grain but possibly more motion blur?
But will the Low Light setting also be good for daytime recording? I know I can set Mode 2 only for night recording but aren't these things supposed to be "set and forget"?

Here's the video, anyway. Nevermind YT's artifacts, see if you can spot the moving colored spots. They're more visible at the end, after I stop the car and switch off the lights.

According to this post, turning WDR off improved things. I'll try that too, even though it seems strange that something that supposedly improves the image quality has to be turned off to improve the image quality. :confused:

Last edited:
This @dash riposki video was what convinced me to buy the Mobius, but there's a big difference in night quality between the two. :(

This @dash riposki video was what convinced me to buy the Mobius, but there's a big difference in night quality between the two. :(

I'm not very good at all this video quality or techy type stuff but there's a couple of things that jump out from this clip.
> The cam car is driving slowly so the cam has more chance to 'take in' what it sees (in much the same way as a slow shutter speed on a cam improves night photography & fast for sport).
> There's very loads of light from very bright LED streetlamps, so the scene is lit with a brilliant white, plus the lights on the car are also brilliant white (not the orangey glow from tungstens!) - and possibly with the addition of front fogs (which seems the norm these days!)

you have all your Mobius settings at bog standard as do many people...

Those settings are there to be tweaked and get the best from your Mobius .

It is dark ...

This is the best I can get from an 0806 with max legal window tint and its Cpl still fitted as who bothers removing a rear cpl......

http://screencast.com/t/gteGfrFk2N

same time this is the best from a Mobius with same window tint but different side view..

http://screencast.com/t/Lyz2lhHLpCU0

Mobius settings....

20,0,23,18 custom301,256,367

people think the Mobius good on standard settings they never adjust, but its a lot better than that.;)

> The cam car is driving slowly so the cam has more chance to 'take in' what it sees (in much the same way as a slow shutter speed on a cam improves night photography & fast for sport).
> There's very loads of light from very bright LED streetlamps, so the scene is lit with a brilliant white, plus the lights on the car are also brilliant white (not the orangey glow from tungstens!) - and possibly with the addition of front fogs (which seems the norm these days!)
Take a look in full size at the 2nd picture on post #43: I'm stopped, there's not much street light and, as you can see, it's bad. It's even worse when the car is moving or when there's more light.
It's inadmissible that this camera has worse night quality than two cheap generics with the same chipset and worse lenses.

Here are the settings at the time of the night recording:

Basic Settings.jpg Misc. Settings.jpg Mode 1.jpg Advanced Image Settings.jpg

But will the Low Light setting also be good for daytime recording? I know I can set Mode 2 only for night recording but aren't these things supposed to be "set and forget"?
I have to correct myself: Mode 2 can't be used as a 2nd Full HD setting. It only allows 720p.

Those settings are good for what? Night and day? Night only?

They give a much better night vision when used with vlc enhancement and can literally see in the dark where my 0806 fails to identify anything when parked and running as a security cam.

The trade off is a slightly more vivid yellowish tint on daytime that looks slightly more 3D than bog standard settings.

I have to correct myself: Mode 2 can't be used as a 2nd Full HD setting. It only allows 720p.
That's because you've set 50/60fps which only works with 720p. The next update will include an additional note in the tooltip.
Set 30fps (or less) and you can then select 1080p. There are a few other parameters which also can't be combined but there's (usually?) a note in the tooltip.

That's because you've set 50/60fps which only works with 720p. The next update will include an additional note in the tooltip.
Set 30fps (or less) and you can then select 1080p. There are a few other parameters which also can't be combined but there's (usually?) a note in the tooltip.
Ok, but I didn't set anything in Mode 2. I just looked at the default parameters and saw that 1080p was not available.

Back