My Mobius thread: initial contact, some questions and why I didn't keep it (read this before buying)

Have you tried refocusing it?
Update: I contacted JooVuu's support and Dan also suggested it, so I went ahead even though I had to break the warranty seal to do it.

The day was sunny so I did some driving first with the factory adjustment and the video set to Narrow FOV, High Data rate and WDR On, just to compare with the initial video, which was recorded in rainy conditions.

I watched a couple of videos first to see how it's done: marked the initial position with a permanent marker, then went step by step to the right and the left until the lens started to become out of focus (blurry video). Firstly I did it in real time, with the camera connected to the PC in webcam mode and monitoring it with VLC, then recorded 30 second videos outside with the camera in my hand, making small adjustments and viewing them before the next recording. As soon as I started rotating the lens it started becoming slightly off focus, so I ended up with the factory adjustment, which seems to be where the focus is better. Fotogr.0076.jpg

Here are some stills taken from the most significative videos: this one is the factory adjustment Factory adjustment.jpg, this one is with the lens rotated to the right, before the video becomes completely blurred Rotated to the right.jpg and this one is the same, but rotated to the left Rotated to the left.jpg.

I did this process with the video set to Narrow FOV, High Data Rate and WDR On. I also tested it with Standard and Low Data Rates, WDR Off and Low Light (on the indoor test, when in webcam mode), but other than higher or lower bitrates those settings don't seem to do anything. The video quality was always the same.

This tells me the lens came in focus from the factory, therefore the problem persists. :(

Last edited:
I've been trying to be very civilized about this whole thing, waiting patiently and not showing my disappointment and frustration, but the silence from JooVuu's support has made my patience run out. This unit clearly has a problem and it's useless to me as it is now. I want to return it and get a refund but after the experience with JooVuu's support and after reading some posts on the Owner Feedback On Vendors thread, I'm afraid that if I return it I'll end up without the camera and the money.
Surely I'd rather have a working camera but I won't risk going through this ordeal again with a replacement unit. Even though my money doesn't grow on trees, I'm willing to sacrifice those 90+ euros and keep the camera.
Nevertheless, I would like to hear your opinions and/or advices on this because I really don't know what I should do.

Sorry for being so harsh, Daniel, but patience has its limits.

if you don't want to risk returning it and it's otherwise of no use to you maybe consider ordering a new lens and sensor assembly and replacing that, I would think the problem is contained within that area, it does mean spending another $20 or so but if the other option is having $90 tied up that isn't going to get used it might be justified

The easiest way to get Dan's attention is just to tag him, ie @JooVuu can you help Module 79L please?

I always found the Novatek 96650 / AR0330 combination seemed to lose a bit of detail at night as though it was dropping resolution - it was improved when the AR0330 was combined with an Ambarella A7 and there was more detail at night but on the flipside the day video was usually cleaner on the 96650 when using the same bitrates (Ambarella based cams needed higher bitrate to get similar results).

I was looking at some old footage from one of my first dashcams yesterday (A7LA50 & AR0330) and the quality was crap compared to what is out there now which proves how much the firmware makes a difference.

My Mobius B looked very similar to your C - night wasn't the best in terms of resolution.

Here's a longer night video I had:

Like you can see it sat on the top of the car in a rainstorm and still works perfectly now :)

Like petepete says the Mobius is extremely flexible and gets great results but it would definitely by nice if the next one had a Sony sensor as that will get you cleaner night footage which may be more along the lines of what you're expecting.

Get JooVuu to sort you out with this one and then see how the next one performs :)

you maybe consider ordering a new lens and sensor assembly and replacing that, I would think the problem is contained within that area, it does mean spending another $20 or so but if the other option is having $90 tied up that isn't going to get used it might be justified
But in that case shouldn't replacing the lens and sensor assembly be considered within warranty? Why should I have to pay for anything?

The easiest way to get Dan's attention is just to tag him, ie @JooVuu can you help Module 79L please?

I always found the Novatek 96650 / AR0330 combination seemed to lose a bit of detail at night as though it was dropping resolution - it was improved when the AR0330 was combined with an Ambarella A7 and there was more detail at night but on the flipside the day video was usually cleaner on the 96650 when using the same bitrates (Ambarella based cams needed higher bitrate to get similar results).

I was looking at some old footage from one of my first dashcams yesterday (A7LA50 & AR0330) and the quality was crap compared to what is out there now which proves how much the firmware makes a difference.

My Mobius B looked very similar to your C - night wasn't the best in terms of resolution.

Here's a longer night video I had:

Like you can see it sat on the top of the car in a rainstorm and still works perfectly now :)
Comparing YT videos, I can see the same colored fuzziness but it's less than in mine and the overall night quality is much better.

Like petepete says the Mobius is extremely flexible and gets great results but it would definitely by nice if the next one had a Sony sensor as that will get you cleaner night footage which may be more along the lines of what you're expecting.

Get JooVuu to sort you out with this one and then see how the next one performs :)

This is the night video quality of a 96650/AR0330 based camera that cost me €40 (G1W-H). Is this quality too much to ask from a Mobius? I don't think so.

G1W-H night.jpg

I wasn't expecting the night video quality of a Sony sensor, not at all! I watched enough videos to know what to expect from the Mobius and it was at least this kind of night quality, being supposedly a better camera than the G1W-H.
Ok, I know the unit I got has definitely a problem, so I can't compare it with full functioning one but I don't think I'll ever know the difference because I'm definitely going to stay away from the Mobius.

Gett @JooVuu to fix it - you only ordered it a few weeks ago?!

of course it's within warranty but you seemed reluctant to send it back
I am but just because at this point JooVuu hasn't given me any reassurance that the returning process will be dealt properly.

They have their own forum here:

https://joovuu.com/community/

Maybe you'd get a quicker response over there?

You should get good support as they're launching the X across Europe - if you get bad support then that would be a sign that other EU buyers would get similar with the X which I don't think Dan would want.

I am but just because at this point JooVuu hasn't given me any reassurance that the returning process will be dealt properly.
they've done about 15,000 transactions or so and I've seen maybe half a dozen or so people that have had issues, generally with international deliveries if anything

They have their own forum here:

https://joovuu.com/community/

Maybe you'd get a quicker response over there?

You should get good support as they're launching the X across Europe - if you get bad support then that would be a sign that other EU buyers would get similar with the X which I don't think Dan would want.
I've been there but it seems to a forum just for the X.

they've done about 15,000 transactions or so and I've seen maybe half a dozen or so people that have had issues, generally with international deliveries if anything
Maybe so, but at this point I'd be happy just to get some sort of reply from him about what to do next, preferably before the end of the 30 days deadline for refunds.

have you messaged Dan @JooVuu here, I've seen a bit of troubleshooting going on but it's normal to have you go through that first
Yes, I've done that and I've also opened a ticket on his site. The only troubleshooting he suggested was for me to try and adjust the focus, which I've already done but didn't solve the issue.

it's around midnight there right now so you probably won't see anything for another 8 hours or so
It's the same time here. I left him a message here on DCT yesterday at 6:13 PM and he replied at 9:15 PM saying he'd take a look at the ticket today.

Hi
Sorry I've been bed ridden the past couple of days throwing up my guts. I'm back on form now and I'm catching up on the customer service now.

Sorry again!

Back