My new SG9665XS, question about version

Reviewing videos from the last week, one thing I see over and over that I hope that can be addressed and corrected in an update is the exposure, there is washout of red and green signal lights. They always look like white lights. And the overall exposure looks a bit too "contrasty". No +/- exposure settings for me to adjust either.

Also, the micro SD adapter supplied does not work. I tried another I have and it works fine with the included micro SD card.

Reviewing videos from the last week, one thing I see over and over that I hope that can be addressed and corrected in an update is the exposure, there is washout of red and green signal lights. They always look like white lights. And the overall exposure looks a bit too "contrasty". No +/- exposure settings for me to adjust either.

Also, the micro SD adapter supplied does not work. I tried another I have and it works fine with the included micro SD card.

can get a new card reader sent to you, that's no problem

is the red and green lights something you've noted without the CPL attached?

Good question about the filter. I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶n̶o̶o̶n̶.̶ Make that tomorrow, probably. I didn't get out driving around again soon enough. Too dark out now for a good comparison.

Last edited:
A couple of screen grabs from the video with the CPL.

Top "red" lights, bottom "green".

Attachments

• trafficlights-rg1.jpg
    trafficlights-rg1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
At least the placement of the light colors on a light bucket on a intersection is always the same, otherwise colorblind people driving would be screwed when driving.
But off course the colors of the light should also be seen in dashcam footage, dont think thats too much to ask from the people making them.

Off course that top pic with the red lights is hard to tell if those are the top red lights the middle yellow or the bottom green as you cant hardly see the bucket them self.

Then again if you enter a intersection on the marginal timing then your camera should have the bottom green light as you enter or get very close to entering the intersection, and then the light changing to yellow should also be in the footage.

So i would not be too worried about this.

But at least this is a brand where such little things are taken serious. :cool:

At least the placement of the light colors on a light bucket on a intersection is always the same, otherwise colorblind people driving would be screwed when driving.
But off course the colors of the light should also be seen in dashcam footage, dont think thats too much to ask from the people making them.

Off course that top pic with the red lights is hard to tell if those are the top red lights the middle yellow or the bottom green as you cant hardly see the bucket them self.

Not "always". :cool: The traffic lights in the top picture are placed horizontally. They will do that on some overpasses for clearance.

Drove same streets and lights today without the CPL filter. The red and green lights do show up slightly better when there is lots of dashboard glare that the filter cuts almost completely. I suspect the glare is reducing the auto-exposure when into the sun's glare enough to reduce the peak red and green lights. Turn around heading away from the sun and looks more like through the filter red and green lights washed out almost white.

trafficlights-Rnf.jpg trafficlights-Gnf.jpg trafficlights-Rglare.jpg

Last edited:
Another screen shot, full view reduced 50% comparing without, and with the CPL filter. Reflection of top of my dash speaker and grain pattern much reduced with the filter. That filter makes a big difference when headed into the sun.

SGXS- no, with CPL.jpg
(Date is a day off btw. Coulda sworn I set the calendar correctly.)

Last edited:
at that kind of distance there's not many pixels on the sensor involved in showing the colour of the light, would be quite hard to make those more pronounced without it impacting overall picture results

I will send you a new firmware to try, can you message me your email address
Before I screw up... Do I need to delete all the video files off the mem card to do this?

it doesn't actually matter as long as the firmware file is in the root directory (eg not in any other folder) like this

file view.jpg

Done. Ver 1.00.08.

I see it removed the bin file from the memory card too. I was going to do that manually. ̶A̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶-̶n̶a̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶b̶-̶d̶i̶r̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶"̶1̶0̶0̶M̶E̶D̶I̶A̶"̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶"̶E̶V̶E̶N̶T̶"̶.̶ ̶ ̶S̶o̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶.̶ ̶
Oops never mind. Operator error. Somehow I recorded a couple of today's files as "EVENT" while I was driving earlier, before applying the update.

Any other tweaks? Still only see the one resolution selection. ;)

Last edited:
event directory is only created when you save a file or G-Sensor locks one, a few other changes and some bug fixes

Another comparison without and with the CPL filter...

half-wo.w.filt-chase.jpg

Another comparison without and with the CPL filter...

View attachment 27685
You need to eliminate the cause of the reflections instead of the reflections. The reflections of the dashboard are still there, even with the filter.

Two examples of the dashmat's effectiveness:
No reflections I.jpg No reflections II.jpg

You need to eliminate the cause of the reflections instead of the reflections. The reflections of the dashboard are still there, even with the filter.
Problems with a mat are covering the top dash speakers, the ambient light sensor for the automatic headlights, and the defrost vents you see in the reflections. I might have been able to reduce the reflections further had I fine-tuned the filter rotation. Anyway it's not 100% but still very effective depending on the angle of the sun.

Well, whatever the update did, it did not help the white "red and green" light symptom.

sgxs-aftud-r-g-white.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Deacon SG9665XS 4
niko SG9665XS 18
F SG9665XS 9
alexsoll SG9665XS 15
Module 79L SG9665XS 82
Back