My Street Guardian is always turned on. How to prevent this?

TLAdapt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a Street Guardian from Amazon about a week ago. It is the sg9665gc v2 model.

The problem I have is the camera does not shut off, when my car's ignition is shut off. It just keeps recording. I don't want the dashcam to record when the car's ignition is off, I only want it to turn on and record when I turn the ignition on. I also worry it will drain my car's battery.

I downloaded the manual from Street Guardian's website, and there is a section called "Basic Operation Description", which goes over Automatic Recording and Manual Recording.

For Automatic Recording, it says:
"When you start your vehicle the DVR is automatically started and the recording commences, the REC indicator on the screen will blink and the REC, POWER, MIC LED’s will indicate their status.

At power off the DVR will automatically save the current recording and will power down. The recordings are saved according to the setting chosen in the loop recording menu. As the card reaches capacity the oldest recordings are automatically deleted to allow recording to continue seamlessly."

For Manual Recording, it says:
"Press the <POWER> button, the DVR will power on and begin recording automatically. Press and hold the <POWER> button for 5 seconds, the DVR will save the recording automatically and will then power off."

What I think is the problem is I am using "Manual Recording", instead of "Automatic Recording", because when I noticed the dashcam still recording after many hours of the car's ignition being shut off, I held the power button on the dashcam for 5 seconds to turn it off. I assumed the dashcam would turn back on automatically when I turn on the ignition. The dashcam did not turn on when I turned on the ignition. I had to press the power button on the dashcam to turn it back on, and I think it turned it on into "Manual Recording", which does not stop recording after I have turned off ignition (I believe). Either I do not know how to turn on "Automatic Recording", the camera's "Automatic Recording" function is faulty, or the cigarette lighter socket has a constant power, instead of a switched power, so the camera does not get the message to turn off when ignition is off. If the problem is with the constant power from the cigarette lighter, is there a way to set up the dashcam so it doesn't unnecessarily record 24/7, and drain my car's battery?

Thank you.

I just bought a Street Guardian from Amazon about a week ago. It is the sg9665gc v2 model.

The problem I have is the camera does not shut off, when my car's ignition is shut off. It just keeps recording. I don't want the dashcam to record when the car's ignition is off, I only want it to turn on and record when I turn the ignition on. I also worry it will drain my car's battery.

I downloaded the manual from Street Guardian's website, and there is a section called "Basic Operation Description", which goes over Automatic Recording and Manual Recording.

For Automatic Recording, it says:
"When you start your vehicle the DVR is automatically started and the recording commences, the REC indicator on the screen will blink and the REC, POWER, MIC LED’s will indicate their status.

At power off the DVR will automatically save the current recording and will power down. The recordings are saved according to the setting chosen in the loop recording menu. As the card reaches capacity the oldest recordings are automatically deleted to allow recording to continue seamlessly."

For Manual Recording, it says:
"Press the <POWER> button, the DVR will power on and begin recording automatically. Press and hold the <POWER> button for 5 seconds, the DVR will save the recording automatically and will then power off."

What I think is the problem is I am using "Manual Recording", instead of "Automatic Recording", because when I noticed the dashcam still recording after many hours of the car's ignition being shut off, I held the power button on the dashcam for 5 seconds to turn it off. I assumed the dashcam would turn back on automatically when I turn on the ignition. The dashcam did not turn on when I turned on the ignition. I had to press the power button on the dashcam to turn it back on, and I think it turned it on into "Manual Recording", which does not stop recording after I have turned off ignition (I believe). Either I do not know how to turn on "Automatic Recording", the camera's "Automatic Recording" function is faulty, or the cigarette lighter socket has a constant power, instead of a switched power, so the camera does not get the message to turn off when ignition is off. If the problem is with the constant power from the cigarette lighter, is there a way to set up the dashcam so it doesn't unnecessarily record 24/7, and drain my car's battery?

Thank you.
Your 12v port is always on. You'll need to hardwire the camera to an accessory fuse in the fuse box.

Your 12v port is always on. You'll need to hardwire the camera to an accessory fuse in the fuse box.

Oh, thank you.

Is this the item I buy to set it up?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VLAEPJ0
Also, can you recommend a good YouTube tutorial to set this up? I've never set up anything like this before.

Finally, is this my only option? Is there no way to fix this problem when it's plugged in the 12v cigarette lighter socket?

Oh, thank you.

Is this the item I buy to set it up?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00VLAEPJ0
Also, can you recommend a good YouTube tutorial to set this up? I've never set up anything like this before.

Finally, is this my only option? Is there no way to fix this problem when it's plugged in the 12v cigarette lighter socket?

That's the recommended hardwire yes

There are a few YouTube videos for CPUSB01
BlockBoxMyCar has good YouTube videos on hard wiring as well.

what vehicle do you have, some have an option to change the cig sockets from permanent to accessory just by moving a fuse in the fuse box, not all have this but you can be lucky

what vehicle do you have, some have an option to change the cig sockets from permanent to accessory just by moving a fuse in the fuse box, not all have this but you can be lucky

I have a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5.

I don't know how to check for that option, lol.

will ask our tech guy to see if he can find out, he has a contact at Mazda

Oh, awesome. Thank you, that would be amazing if possible. I'll hold off buying the CPUSO1 for now.

just got a reply back now, no luck, console and boot sockets are both permanent with no option to switch to accessory, need to wire to an accessory switched circuit in the fuse panel

just got a reply back now, no luck, console and boot sockets are both permanent with no option to switch to accessory, need to wire to an accessory switched circuit in the fuse panel

Ok, I'll go ahead with the purchase. Thank you once again.

Looking forward to how it goes. I just installed this on my 2016 Subaru and also have the 2016.5 CX 5 that I am going to install the camera in.

Oh boy, I was considering this car and would not have thought about checking THAT. Off the list it goes...:eek:

Not only for the dashcams, but my GPS unit and the boot fridge would remain constantly draining the battery, and ageing prematuredly.

Of the side benefits of reading DCT forum.:rolleyes:

Oh boy, I was considering this car and would not have thought about checking THAT. Off the list it goes...:eek:

Not only for the dashcams, but my GPS unit and the boot fridge would remain constantly draining the battery, and ageing prematuredly.

Of the side benefits of reading DCT forum.:rolleyes:
Always-cold beer sounds like a positive side benefit of a constantly-powered fridge!

I tapped the Windshield Wiper fuse on my Crown Vic, it's ignition only. Unfortunately, the fuse box has a cover that an Add-A-Fuse won't work, so I used this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000CQDRTI
I didn't use the connector and instead trimmed off the top of the spade, and soldered the 12v lead to it. Now the cover fits like it should.
Not hard to do - I'd suggest getting a friend who knows about cars or electricity to help you.

I tapped the Windshield Wiper fuse on my Crown Vic, it's ignition only. Unfortunately, the fuse box has a cover that an Add-A-Fuse won't work, so I used this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B000CQDRTI
I didn't use the connector and instead trimmed off the top of the spade, and soldered the 12v lead to it. Now the cover fits like it should.
Not hard to do - I'd suggest getting a friend who knows about cars or electricity to help you.

Interesting that's the first I've seen of this slip in tighter, no added bulk (DIY) fuse tap option. I guess you could bend to the side as well.

2b4289e067c0cd52c01bdd01afe91ad9.png

Back