My X2 let me down... not happy.

vvulture

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1 hour ago i was rear ended by another car who failed to stop behind me.
The rear cam captured everything from the moment i started driving, up to the moment of impact.
The actual impact however was not captured. It is nowhere to be found on the rear cam SD card.
The rear cam stopped recording at the moment of impact, and started recording again when it entered parking mode once i turned the car engine off after pulling over to the side of the road...

The front SD card captured everything .

Pissed off... really pissed off... what are we paying all this money for if the rear camera cannot be relied on ?!?!

F**k this....

2 x 32Gb FAT32... How is this relevant ?

Tried data recovery as soon as i noticed.. nothing on there at all with that timestamp... not even a file that was written over..

You are correct... but it wasn't.
Even the front cam didn't record an event... it just kept "NORMAL" recording whereas the rear cam didn't.. it just stopped recording till i turned car off and went into PARKING mode.

Toshiba 30MB/s supplied with the unit.

ok, don't recall any previous reports of problems with these cards

not sure if the file can be recovered but if you have a spare it might be better to put that one aside and not use the card further in case it can be recovered, that's a question for the engineer

I am thinking out loud, so I apologize if this sounds dumb or not possible.

I wonder if the cable going to the rear camera, during the moment of impact, had a intermittent signal. The collision caused it to momentarily lose connection. Would that cause the file to become corrupt, and not write the file to disk and/or delete the file that was there? I have never tried to unplug the camera while it was running to see what it would do. If the cable was crimped or the plug was loose, could this happen?

EDIT: Fixed stupid spelling error.

Last edited:
Hopefully you have the reg from seconds before the impact. That and the correlation of movement in the front camera should be enough to prove your case. Put in a claim for a broken dashcam too.

I know how you feel, we the public these days are just guinea pig testers for these companies that mass produce sh1te

I think microsoft started it with their windows, they release something thats not 100% finished, let us test it and then keep updating it when WE find problem

This sh1te they sell should be 100% tested by them before its sold and not by us, if that accident had been a fatal, I so glad it wasnt, and the investigators were looking for evidence they would have been super pissed off as you are when nothing was recorded

Some of these products have a sticker on that say

"tested 100%" or "passed"

What do they do just switch it on and make sure the screen lights up, is that 100% tested !!!

I am thinking out loud, so I apologize if this sounds dumb or not possible.

I wonder if the cable going to the rear camera, during the moment of impact, had a intermittent signal. The collision caused it to momentarily lose connection. Would that cause the file to become corrupt, and not write the file to disk and/or delete the file that was there? .

When i realized what had happened i intentionally bumped/tapped the plug/connector for the rear camera and it kept recording as normal. Can't make any sense of it.
Like i said before, about 30 seconds after the impact i turned the engine off and the rear camera started recording again in "Parking" mode all by itself.

Hopefully you have the reg from seconds before the impact. That and the correlation of movement in the front camera should be enough to prove your case. Put in a claim for a broken dashcam too.

I have rear cam footage right up to the millisecond before impact. The front cam shows the car being jolted forward when impact occurred .

I know how you feel, we the public these days are just guinea pig testers for these companies that mass produce sh1te

I think microsoft started it with their windows, they release something thats not 100% finished, let us test it and then keep updating it when WE find problem

This sh1te they sell should be 100% tested by them before its sold and not by us, if that accident had been a fatal, I so glad it wasnt, and the investigators were looking for evidence they would have been super pissed off as you are when nothing was recorded

Some of these products have a sticker on that say

"tested 100%" or "passed"

What do they do just switch it on and make sure the screen lights up, is that 100% tested !!!

I agree 100%.. but when expressing this opinion in the past, i have been met with excuses of technology being so complicated you have to accept bugs/issues.
I find these comments to be total rubbish.. take airbags in cars for instance ( just one example ). The technology behind airbags is extremely complex. Yet, do you see them inflating accidentally around you all the time as people drive ? Do you know of anyone that has had their cars recalled because of airbags not working ? This product has been tested so vigorously that you could at the very least call it 99.9999999999 reliable.. It was tested to the extreme because it HAD TO BE !! But where manufacturers can, without fear of injuring/killing anyone, they will cut corners to save money and hope for the best. Sad world we live in, but money and profits rule all. Period.

I've given a full detailed report to @Sungmoon Jang (lead developer) I'll report back with their conclusion and ETA on next firmware release as soon as I hear back.

When i realized what had happened i intentionally bumped/tapped the plug/connector for the rear camera and it kept recording as normal. .

There is only one G-Sensor in this product and it's in the main unit up front. There is no G-Sensor in the rear camera. (so tapping the rear won't result in an event)

This is the first time someone has created a dual channel product using two CPU's in one system. I agree that it should be further along than it is for mid-2015, but progress is still being made. The engineers are doing their best. The Zoran Coach CPU SDK isn't as flexible as the other CPU's out there unfortunately. (but Zoran is a work horse, very low energy and heat/cold tolerant)

I've given a full detailed report to @Sungmoon Jang (lead developer)

There is only one G-Sensor in this product and it's in the main unit up front. There is no G-Sensor in the rear camera. (so tapping the rear won't result in an event)

Wasn't testing the G-Sensor. I was testing for loose plug.

Speaking of the G-Sensor, it didn't work either as the front camera didn't record an event. It just recorded as "Normal" and you can clearly see the vibration of the front cam on impact.
The rear camera however stopped recording on impact, and only started recording again in "Parking" mode once i'd pulled over to the side of the road and turned the ignition off.

So, not only did the rear cam let me down, but the G-Sensor did too.. although the G-Sensor triggers when simply turning a corner. Go figure.

I actually had a similar thing happen. but it wasn't because of an accident.

everything seems to be running fine. no weird reboots or hangs etc.

but my gf said she wanted to show me this cool car she saw that should have been recorded on the cam.

so we looked through the cam and weirdly enough. the time we were looking for disappeared. like as if the cam skipped that few hours.

Back