N4 Pro's Rear Camera - The Details

Anyone know if the the connection between rear and front cameras is digital or analogue? If analogue, a crushed cable might also affect the image quality, right?

Anyone know if the the connection between rear and front cameras is digital or analogue? If analogue, a crushed cable might also affect the image quality, right?
That is a curiosity of mine. They’re using at least a 4-layer PCB, which is why you cannot see anything other than power traces routed to the USB Type C receptacle/jack, as that routing is done via vias. The sensor supports analog/analogue output, but we don’t know what the ISP chip is doing.

Also, by “crushed” you need to be more explicit as analog will behave in specific ways. The image processing is too strong to easily determine if the image analog vs digital, imo, but I assume they’re also using twisted pair conductors in the cable. Not sure, but I suspect that the USB spec would call for twisted pair cabling and that offers good noise immunity for either analog or digital signalling.

Just wondering the likelihood of the rear camera image problems being caused by compromising the cable during installation... at least in some cases...

Just wondering the likelihood of the rear camera image problems being caused by compromising the cable during installation... at least in some cases...
One of our members here did a teardown and confined there is a focus issue on the rear camera hardware wise. Nothing to do with squashing the cable.

Reason for asking is I got a replacement camera from Vantrue (that I've yet to try) because of the focus issue. Curiously, they volunteered to send a new cable too, so I was wondering if they know sometimes it's a cable problem. Or maybe it was a 'just in case'. Anyway, I'll just try swapping the camera first...

Reason for asking is I got a replacement camera from Vantrue (that I've yet to try) because of the focus issue. Curiously, they volunteered to send a new cable too, so I was wondering if they know sometimes it's a cable problem. Or maybe it was a 'just in case'. Anyway, I'll just try swapping the camera first...

Keep us posted

The cable won't make an impact.
I tried the E3 rear camera on the N4 Pro.
The E3 focus is way better than the one from the N4 Pro...

The cable won't make an impact.
I tried the E3 rear camera on the N4 Pro.
The E3 focus is way better than the one from the N4 Pro...
Is the E3 one very different (other than better focus)? The box my replacement came in says N4 Pro / S1 Pro on the box...

Is the E3 one very different (other than better focus)? The box my replacement came in says N4 Pro / S1 Pro on the box...
I think the E3 might be a different model for the rear camera module. RC04 is for Nexus 4 Pro and S1 Pro which is apparently GalaxyCore gc2039 sensor, which won't have an affect anyway , it's the way they got the hardware set up

E3’s rear FOV is 160°
N4P’s rear FOV is 165°

So, different lens or a smaller sensor with the same lens. Rear cam is 1/2.8” iirc on the N4P.

I think the E3 might be a different model for the rear camera module. RC04 is for Nexus 4 Pro and S1 Pro which is apparently GalaxyCore gc2039 sensor, which won't have an affect anyway , it's the way they got the hardware set up
GC2039? Thought that was cabin, rear is IMX307.

Initial assessment is it's no different, sadly, but need to do some more tests. Will post a couple of videos after.
So here's a video from the original camera

And here's a video from the replacement

So here's a video from the original camera

And here's a video from the replacement
Bit hard to tell but replacement seems to look ok to me. Sent emails a week ago to support@vantrue.net and no one replied either. Jeepers :/

Bit hard to tell but replacement seems to look ok to me. Sent emails a week ago to support@vantrue.net and no one replied either. Jeepers :/
I agree, it looks better but of course its not comparable to 2k or 4k rear cams. That would be something in the future to improve.

I agree, it looks better but of course its not comparable to 2k or 4k rear cams. That would be something in the future to improve.
Of course, the big bug bear for me was the focus issue where it focussed to infinity rather than close up

Of course, the big bug bear for me was the focus issue where it focussed to infinity rather than close up
Mine was the other way round - focus was too close (so the plastic trim round the rear windows was in focus) and further away objects were not in focus.

Back