Need a low-quality footage (small file size) dash cam please

Herr Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

New member so go easy on me please (not that I'm doing myself any favours with a daft opening request!)

I have a Transcend DrivePro 200 as my main camera in the front, a Mobius as a rear and a Mobius looking right for people straight-lining the mini-roundabout at the end of my road.

However, the crux of my situation is I also have an aged (September 2012) Roadhawk DC-1 which is mounted in the front which I try to back-up in its entirety although it's never the end of the world if I miss any of it. However, due to my work, it's good to remember where I've been and when and saves me from a lot of paperwork.

However the DC-1 is failing from time to time and backing up from the higher-res cameras is a no-no due to the file sizes. On the Roadhawk, a minute of footage (mediocre footage, admittedly) is 16Mb. Are there any of the current crop of cheapish cameras that can be de-tuned to record and take up that sort of space. Or even close?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

HV

maybe another Mobius and just drop down to lower res and bitrate for archive purposes?

Cheers jokiin.

I love the Mobius dearly in terms of output but since putting the super-capacitor in I've found them impossible to change anything on. A problem with me more than the device, but they're a bit too Heath Robinson for my liking. It's too years since I've operated on them and forgotten all I ever knew, which wasn't a lot - but I swore then "never again..."

Some low-quality cams also have low-quality firmware which creates 720p files that are as large as high-end cams' 1080p files.

I agree with a mid-spec cam running a lower resolution such as 720p, although that could mean the field of view is only two-thirds of a 1080p recording due to a lot of cams just cropping the edges of 1080p to create 720p.
Running the largest possible clip length seems to allow a little more recording time; in some cams, with a 32GB card, a single thirty-minute clip only takes up around three-quarters the memory space of thirty individual one-minute clips. However, the larger the file size the greater the risk of missing or losing an important event due to a malfunction.

Back