Need advice about SD card

Last time I bought a fridge from Currys they said they only expect them to last about 3-5 years. Couldn't believe it! My parents old TV was the same age as me 15 years ago!
At least they were honest to you. These days we can not expect something like "lifetime" from 4.99€ kettle. It's due to "new ideology" of big capital forcing us to buy frequently cheap things rather buying one time expencive item which last almost lifetime. I still miss those good old days when they made Benz / BMW which could go for 1mln km before writing off.

P.S. I still have 35y old fridge in my "summer house" working well after all those years. Yeah, it's a little bit noisy vs new fridges, but it still going strong.

At least they were honest to you. These days we can not expect something like "lifetime" from 4.99€ kettle. It's due to "new ideology" of big capital forcing us to buy frequently cheap things rather buying one time expencive item which last almost lifetime. I still miss those good old days when they made Benz / BMW which could go for 1mln km before writing off.

P.S. I still have 35y old fridge in my "summer house" working well after all those years. Yeah, it's a little bit noisy vs new fridges, but it still going strong.

there's a mentality that exists in retail that the way to win the customer is to be cheaper than your competitor, while this has some obvious attraction the reality is a business still needs to make a profit so the only way to do this is have cheaper products, certain efficiencies can be made up to a point to reduce your costs but from that point on (and we reached that tipping point of efficiency some time ago already) the only way to get lower prices comes about from lower quality products that just aren't made to last, it's a sad state of affairs if you actually want to own decent products as they're getting harder to find all the time

there's a mentality that exists in retail that the way to win the customer is to be cheaper than your competitor, while this has some obvious attraction the reality is a business still needs to make a profit so the only way to do this is have cheaper products, certain efficiencies can be made up to a point to reduce your costs but from that point on (and we reached that tipping point of efficiency some time ago already) the only way to get lower prices comes about from lower quality products that just aren't made to last, it's a sad state of affairs if you actually want to own decent products as they're getting harder to find all the time

Yeah, it's also to do with consumer mind. It is consumer who determines "demand". It is in human nature to get "the best deal", but often we lose on quality if chasing for the "best deal". If one day we all refuse to buy those "best deal" ( read @ cheapest ) goods and go only for good, reliable goods we had in 80-90's, then it would force Big Corporations to change their business model. Unfortunately reality is different. It's not us who "own them", but "they" who own us.

human nature to look for a deal, unfortunately most people only equate deal with price paid rather than standard of goods or service received

The biggest and ever growing problem they either miss or don't care about with high volume short lifespan is the waste.

Not sure if it's just me but I'd rather pay more for a quality product that will last.

I'd rather pay more for a quality product that will last.

Same here. I rather pay 1 x 100€ for kettle that lasts me 10y, than 20 x 4.99€ kettles that last me each one 6 month. Overall I will get same "combined lifespan" from 20 x cheap kettles, but waste of time spent to always replace broken kettle, driving to shop, arguing with sales rep., non-aesthetic look of cheaper model, not practicality, etc., - it's all takes bit by bit part valuable part of our life. "Electrolux, BMW. Benz etc" are not any-more what they used to be 20y ago :(

Agree fully. It's a shame because Honda in Europe also seems to suffer from this. The Accord 7th and 8th Generation were built in Japan and were bullet proof, but the others built in the UK would not be so reliable.

Back