NEED HELP WITH FUSE TAPPING WITH A MULTIMETER

alex5556

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m trying to test for constant/switched fuses with a multimeter. I have seen methods where a guy taps the positive end to the fuse and the ground to an unpainted metal. Some people are saying this is potentially dangerous and could activate the airbags. Are there any safer/better ways or should I not be worried in the first place?

I’m trying to test for constant/switched fuses with a multimeter. I have seen methods where a guy taps the positive end to the fuse and the ground to an unpainted metal. Some people are saying this is potentially dangerous and could activate the airbags. Are there any safer/better ways or should I not be worried in the first place?
I have never heard of anyone setting off an airbag using a multimeter, just make sure it is configured for Voltage, not Amps, and don't touch the metal of the probes, then there is no need to worry about probing the fuse box.

In general, when working on a car, make sure you either disconnect the battery, or keep your head and arms well away from the airbags. I have heard of someone setting off the airbags with a simple hammer, and airbags are dangerous explosive devices that can cause serious injuries.

Back