New firmware for DR500HD

Foxtrotter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had an email from Pittasoft today adding that new firmware 1.009 will be released by end of month. No information about what changes there are.

One thing would be to fix the time and date issue with 1.008. Pittasoft requested my camera be returned to the Authorized Dealer to be forwarded to Korea. My camera had a working battery and clock on 1.005E. After applying 1.008E my date and time was off by weeks and would not correct even though GPS was working properly. My clock kept time and advanced even with the camera off. No dead battery issues. The A/D tested updating 1.008 to new stock cameras running 1.005. The A/D trashed the date on 5 cameras before Korea asked them to stop using the 1.008 update. :cool: So to those who have been following, So there Nyah! The 1.008 update did trash working cameras without battery issues. I have a new camera running 1.005 and I'm liking it. If 1.009 works out you can be sure I will FTP Backup the entire camera before liftoff. Unless 1.009 shuts off access to Linux.

defbear said:
jokiin said:
defbear said:
Unless 1.009 shuts off access to Linux.

surprised they haven't changed the password

I'm still not sure that they know that we know :lol:

they're aware of the modded firmware and have studied it so I'd say they'd be well aware

maybe they don't want to lock everyone out there until they've checked what has been done ;)

Hopefully the fix the quality issue. My cam was better with the 1.005. I should have left it alone.

But I'm starting to think that it's just the camera itself. As the cheap China cams has better quality and doesn't get as hot.

I should probably just sell the Blackvue and get the Chinese cam. It's smaller too. I just like the wifi feature blackvue has.

I think most of the objections with the camera may come from the ultra-wide lens. It doesn't focus in the center as much as many would like. I also got a Black Suede Dashmat dashboard cover. It killed every last bit of glare on the windshield. Besides the date/time issue I didn't care for 1.008 the little I got to play with it. It seemed to only focus on what was right in front. I thought the video was degraded at every level. At the highest settings it became a memory hog. I think 1.005 works extremely well. With the addition of a CPL lens cover I think most problems are solved.
The Blackvue DR500HD is the little engine that could. It has a general purpose Linux computer complete with wi-fi router built in, Oh with a specialized video recording recording system built in to boot. Are you kidding me! I might heat up a bit also.
Frankly I'm surprised they bothered to issue a firmware update in the first place. Does Sony issue,firmware updates for cameras? Usually a 'new model' is introduced.
Whether you like the product or not Pittasoft is showing a genuine effort to improve their products. But then I do not think they were fully in-gauged in Korea until it was pointed out they had a warehouse full of non-upgrade able (un-sellable?) cameras here in the US.

defbear said:
jokiin said:
defbear said:
Unless 1.009 shuts off access to Linux.

surprised they haven't changed the password

I'm still not sure that they know that we know :lol:

i just flash a rooted busybox binary, i got root access back.
with physical access i dont care about a password in linux :)

Back