New GC

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got a new toy a couple of days ago: SG9665GC (thanks @Pier28 ). So far, I am happy with packaging, supplied accessories and the product itself.

I had to flip the GPS module and shorten the cable as I wanted to attach it on the other side of the mirror in the blacked out "dots area" While doing that a couple of suggestions for @jokiin :

1. Shorten the GPS cable and supply longer extension. (Basically opposite of what is supplied now)
2. Don't attach the 3M VHB tape to GPS enclosure
3. The inside adhesive foam has some very strong adhesive which makes it difficult to flip the antenna. Adhesive is actually not necessary at all since the GPS module is firmly sandwiched inside.

I used the supplied cable cover and found out that you cannot dismount camera without removing the top part first - major inconvenience since I wanted to remove the camera when parked outside in the bright sun.

I also got the world's most expensive CPL ;) The glass quality looks OK, plastic and mount seems fragile - held up on the lens by just friction. We'll see how long before it slips off.

Video quality is good, comparable with my mini 0903 - not surprising since they use the same chip set and sensor. I noticed the same problems with blown highlights on both cameras - looks like both, SG and Meg, are currently tweaking AE tables.

Sound quality is good, though mini 0903 is louder.

Overall, I am happy and look forward to continuous updates.

Edit:
A couple of install pics (Volvo XC90):
IMG_20160902_120746.jpg IMG_20160902_120723.jpg IMG_20160902_120706.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club.

We are already looking at making future batches to include a pre-flipped GPS with a shorter cable length. The non flipped long GPS (meant for dashboard mounting) will then become an optional accessory

The latest SGGCCPL you recieved is a third 3D design revision and fits better than ever. It should stay on no problem.

Cable cover is generally for "set it and forget it" users. The cover isn't too hard to take off though with a quick pinch of the release clip.

Try the latest firmware as we added auto mic/gain control.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-firmware-updates-and-pre-release-access.16310/

And yes continuous firmware improvements are always in the works to make this product the best it can be. (Especially as Novatek releases new SDK's that give new options etc)

We use a public GPS housing. Retooling would be pretty expensive so we are working with what we can accomplish with what we've got today for now.

We use a public GPS housing. Retooling would be pretty expensive so we are working with what we can accomplish with what we've got today for now.

How much can it cost for a successful manufacturer to tool a little plastic box for God's sake? I'm often amused by the euphemistic term "public housing" as opposed to "generic".

Rather than "pre-flipping", why not just design a housing for the GPS module that is the same on both sides so it can be mounted up or down?
That's what I was thinking when I said don't attach the tape to the GPS module. a customer could attach it to either side if they were the same.

How much can it cost for a successful manufacturer to tool a little plastic box for God's sake? I'm often amused by the euphemistic term "public housing" as opposed to "generic".

The GPS housing is public but we use a higher quality GPS chip than the "generic" ready made GPS model. (Different factory) That's why the "public housing" description was used. Sometimes you have to work smarter using what's available in the time frame you have. Tooling prices are very expensive. It doesn't mean it can't be done in the future but we are not as big as you think. (Still growing)

The latest SGGCCPL you recieved is a third 3D design revision and fits better than ever. It should stay on no problem.

So which revision is the one I got a couple months ago?

While we're on retooling topic, how about the SD card access? Once the camera is mounted, it's virtually impossible to get the card out. That is unless you have fingers of two years old :) Seems, the best location would be somewhere on the face (display) side.

I usually suggest using the corner of a credit card to help eject the microSD card from the spring/click loaded slot. (For those that can't use fingernails etc)

They are using a generic B40 case, but putting a relief section (basically a depression) on the bottom or top or both, which would be easy to do, onto the case may fix the issue.

The GPS housing is public but we use a higher quality GPS chip than the "generic" ready made GPS model. (Different factory) That's why the "public housing" description was used. Sometimes you have to work smarter using what's available in the time frame you have. Tooling prices are very expensive. It doesn't mean it can't be done in the future but we are not as big as you think. (Still growing)

My father was a manufacturer and I spent many years around injection molding machines and learned a thing or two about the process and craft of tooling molds. A little box to house a GPS antenna is relatively simple and inexpensive part to manufacture and a tiny component like that is peanuts in the scheme of a larger more complex product roll-out like a dash cam, especially with modern CAD and automated tooling and milling equipment.

BTW, I didn't even mention the particular antenna you use, only the little plastic housing it is in, so why even bring that into the conversation?

Public housing? I have never before heard such a term in the world of manufacturing. The sense is that you wish to avoid using the word "generic". When I think of the phrase "public housing" I think of things that look like this.
publichousing.jpg

My father was a manufacturer and I spent many years around injection molding machines and learned a thing or two about the process and craft of tooling molds. A little box to house a GPS antenna is relatively simple and inexpensive part to manufacture and a tiny component like that is peanuts in the scheme of a larger more complex product roll-out like a dash cam, especially with modern CAD and automated tooling and milling equipment.

BTW, I didn't even mention the particular antenna you use, only the little plastic housing it is in, so why even bring that into the conversation?

Public housing? I have never before heard such a term in the world of manufacturing. The sense is that you wish to avoid using the word "generic". When I think of the phrase "public housing" I think of things that look like this.
View attachment 25777
The GPS module that came with my GC is UBX-G7020-KT which is marketed as "Pro, Automotive"

Public housing is the Chinese term, nothing to do with where you might live, just a habit you pickup when talking to manufacturers, if you said generic housing they wouldn't know what you were referring to

We are moving to an on glass GPS with shorter cable already, some of those are already in circulation, by next production all will have this as standard and the longer cable on dash type GPS will only be offered as an accessory

Rather than wasting money retooling the GPS housing we spent our money tooling a CPL filter so we can get the cost of that down, makes more sense to spend money on something that will lower the cost of the CPL rather than spending it on something that would raise the cost of the GPS, the current CPL is way too expensive

Public housing is the Chinese term, nothing to do with where you might live, just a habit you pickup when talking to manufacturers, if you said generic housing they wouldn't know what you were referring to

I still got a smile of @Dashmellow comment about public housing. However the photo look more luxurious, than the picture I got in my mind.

That's happen when you got an international forum. :)

I usually suggest using the corner of a credit card to help eject the microSD card from the spring/click loaded slot. (For those that can't use fingernails etc)

I use my mobile phone sim eject tool to remove my microsd card.

Last edited:
And one more importal thing you have to be carefully when you remove your sd card: it's can be spring out and fall into conditioning vents.
That's funny story i was told by one of my customers when he came back and buy another sd card :D

Last edited:
I just use the ignition key, with my fingers around it to doesn't spring out.

Back