New GC

I still got a smile of @Dashmellow comment about public housing. However the photo look more luxurious, than the picture I got in my mind.

That's happen when you got an international forum. :)

in China that photo would be one of luxury housing

I understand your point and basically agree. Where I grew up public housing was pretty dismal.

I grabbed that photo from the Wikipedia entry on Public Housing because I was in a hurry when I posted but it happens to be a public housing complex in Hong Kong providing "affordable housing for approximately 22,000 people".

public.png

Last edited:
Public housing is the Chinese term, nothing to do with where you might live, just a habit you pickup when talking to manufacturers, if you said generic housing they wouldn't know what you were referring to

We are moving to an on glass GPS with shorter cable already, some of those are already in circulation, by next production all will have this as standard and the longer cable on dash type GPS will only be offered as an accessory

Rather than wasting money retooling the GPS housing we spent our money tooling a CPL filter so we can get the cost of that down, makes more sense to spend money on something that will lower the cost of the CPL rather than spending it on something that would raise the cost of the GPS, the current CPL is way too expensive

Sounds like very reasonable thinking to me. :)

I understand your point and basically agree. Where I grew up public housing was pretty dismal.

I grabbed that photo from the Wikipedia entry on Public Housing because I was in a hurry when I posted but it happens to be a public housing complex in Hong Kong providing "affordable housing for approximately 22,000 people".

View attachment 25791

yeah Hong Kong public housing looks similar to the luxury housing in China, they're all big complexes like that, they're like a whole suburb, the ground floor of the buildings will have restaurants, shops, supermarkets, banks etc, you don't need to go very far to find anything you might want or need on a regular basis, one of the advantages I guess of very dense populations

Back to my new GC :) Should I see some data from sensors? (using RegistratorViewer 6.0.0.22)Screenshot from 2016-09-02 21-43-58.png

Will that be in later? AFAIK it is supported by the platform.

While we're on retooling topic, how about the SD card access? Once the camera is mounted, it's virtually impossible to get the card out. That is unless you have fingers of two years old :) Seems, the best location would be somewhere on the face (display) side.
OK, so I partially solved this problem:
MicroSD ejection/insertion tool

Concerning microSD card removal on the SG9665GC, having had several different units to sample I've found each one to be better or worse in this regard. On the most recent one I received, the spring loaded slot for the card seemed mounted unusually deep into the housing compared to the others and the card was an absolute bear to install and remove. Even when I could get the card to unlock from the mechanism using my fingernail or some handy object there was a lot of friction on the card making it especially difficult to remove without a lot of effort and fussing with. I cursed the damned thing every time I needed to access the card and considered posting about this in my "discouragements" thread. Eventually, after repeated use the mechanism seemed to break in and now it works fine and I have no problem inserting or removing the microSD card. A light press with my thumbnail is all that is needed now to get the card to pop out, although all in all, I suppose I would prefer to see the card slot mounted less deeply into the housing for those times when I've just trimmed my fingernails.

I wouldn't mind seeing an indent added to future iterations of the SG9665GC housing that would facilitate easier card insertion and removal such as we see on some dash cams like this one on the GT680W.

newback2.jpg

Last edited:
Back