New HK5 Hardwire Kit For VIOFO VS1

Wish it had cloud addon

No. It was one of the pieces of feedback that I gave VIOFO during the prototype testing period.

I guess we think similarly.

If they are polling the buttons that could answer why they can't do it.
I would have expected an interrupt is used which is more efficient and could allow the checking of both buttons.
Oh well.

I would assume it was just a little more powerful, for current and future models, but both do say 5V2A
For sure VS1 doesn't need more power than A229 Plus or A229 Pro.
The USB C plug on the HK5 seems lower but wider compared to the HK4
Other than that I do not see any visual differences.
At least I expect there to be some diode to stop power going from the BAT circuit of the car to the ACC circuit.
This camera has a voice command feature.
(turn off camera)
I think it is almost impossible for Viofo to add more Voice commands.
If they are polling the buttons that could answer why they can't do it.
I would have expected an interrupt is used which is more efficient and could allow the checking of both buttons.
In real life I consider that is not easy to press both buttons. Pressing the back button can move the camera alignment and because of no screen you can discover some day that you recorded the sky. Normally for power off the side button should be pressed for this option. For example 4 seconds to enable Wi-Fi and 8 seconds to turn off the camera.
I don't expect too many people to turn off the dashcam but maybe in the situation when they forgot the card at home. In this situation they can take out the USB connector and next time to not forget the card.
I am not turning off my dashcams by using the power button, I don't have a reason to do this.

I think it is almost impossible for Viofo to add more Voice commands.
I can't say anything if the processor is insufficient.

But considering the existing voice command-enabled a119 mini 2 and a229 pro/plus models, these cameras also have a screen-off, screen-on feature. Since the vs1 doesn't have a screen, it can have it instead.

Of course, if an alternative that would turn off the camera is considered, this is an idea.

VS1 has the same voice commands as Mini 2 or A229 Pro.

VS1 has the same voice commands as Mini 2 or A229 Pro.
yes, all 4 cameras have voice command.
However, since there is no off button on vs1, you can turn it off with a command when you need to turn it off, and then turn it on with any key when you want to turn it on.
When used with HK5, it is activated again when the ignition is turned on.

In my opinion, this is not necessary, but if it is seen as a problem, it can be considered as an alternative solution method.

In my opinion Viofo has dominated image quality since 2019 because they’re not saddled with developing cloud, radar, ADAS, and other features BlackVue & Thinkware focus on.
It’s why BlackVue & Thinkware image quality always lacks compared to Viofo.
Viofo cameras are like a single blade dagger with K.I.S.S. design strategy.
If Viofo starts adding features like cloud it will turn into a “Swiss Army Knife” and no longer be the “king” of image quality.
They have enough challenges getting existing features like parking mode to function properly.
RCG530 had an idea I liked, if they ever delve into cloud implementation they should do it under a separate brand name so if it fails it will not damage Viofo’s good name, and reputation.
So yeah, death to Viofo cloud. Lol

Well for sure Vifo should not let IQ guys meddle with the cloud stuff, that need to be the work of the cloud guys.
And in case of doubt, IQ should always take precedence over cloud / smarts.

...because they’re not saddled with developing cloud, radar, ADAS, and other features...
NONE of which should be incorporated into a device designed and intended to be used for recording driving events. :mad:

NONE of which should be incorporated into a device designed and intended to be used for recording driving events. :mad:
Why not?

ADAS, radar, cloud, wifi, parking mode, etc. all add complexity, increase cost and reduce reliability. Just make a simple camera system (1 to 5 cameras as desired) that records driving events, and only driving events.

ADAS doesn't have anything to do with recording driving events. It doesn't work all that well when it's designed into a vehicle, as an afterthought function in a camera it's little more than an irritating toy.

Likewise radar, it's only useful for parking mode which, unless you have 360 degree coverage, is a partial solution. Even with front and rear cameras parking mode is a 50% solution - and that only if you have an infinite power supply.

Cloud storage is too slow to store everything plus you need internet access. Since some form of on board storage (Sd card, SSD) is needed anyhow just it for everything. Yes, on board storage can fail but so can the cloud - it's only as good as the company providing it and the infrastructure in place to access it.

Here are my unboxing pics for the new HK5 hardwire kit. The QC sticker is from August 2023, the USB cable states "20 AWG+24 AWG" and the specifications still list it producing a maximum of 5V/2A. The only visible difference is the USB-C connector on the end.

hk5_unboxing_dct0.pnghk5_unboxing_dct1.pnghk5_unboxing_dct2.pnghk5_unboxing_dct3.pnghk5_unboxing_dct4.pnghk5_unboxing_dct5.pnghk5_unboxing_dct6.pnghk5_unboxing_dct7.png

Here are my unboxing pics for the new HK5 hardwire kit. The QC sticker is from August 2023, the USB cable states "20 AWG+24 AWG" and the specifications still list it producing a maximum of 5V/2A. The only visible difference is the USB-C connector on the end.
Viofo-Support said;
"Except for the plug, the quiescent current on the HK5 is smaller than HK4, so it is more compatible with VS1."

Any chance you could test the max output with the DROK USB Load Tester, and compare it with an HK4?

Viofo-Support said;
"Except for the plug, the quiescent current on the HK5 is smaller than HK4, so it is more compatible with VS1."

Any chance you could test the max output with the DROK USB Load Tester, and compare it with an HK4?
The "quiescent current" is apparently the current the HK5 uses to power its own operations. Bill also called it "dark current". The final statement from Bill was "the HK5 self-power draw is lower".

they're on their CNY break
Bill's working overtime. lol

Back