New Lk-7950 purchase - Issues

BusterDuster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Lukas 7950, Mobius C2
The LK-7950 is installed in a 2005 Toyota Sienna Handicap Ramp Van.
The camera I received had the bottom of the box cut open (customs) and the rear cable end twisted (Lukas testing)… go figure.
It also came with the latest firmware (Type B Fi11).
I’m using a 7-meter cable as opposed to the 5-meter normally provided for the rear camera.
I configured the camera using the Lukas Viewer.
I’ve been formatting it often mainly just to clear the files during my testing.
I have been running chkdsk on both the SD and microSD and have found no errors.

I think there is a lot of good to be said about the LK-7950 dashcam and the excellent experience purchasing / support through Calgary Dash Camera, however, these are my issues.

Issues:
1) WIFI Configuration Changes:

Changed the Driving Mode Impact Sensitivity from 3 to 4 using wifi. Nailed two nasty speed bumps, even at an angle and nothing, mic was off and checked event microSD and there were no files. Calgary Dash Camera support, Sam suggested making configuration changes through the LK viewer. Wondering if anybody else has experienced buggy settings through wifi?

2) CPL Lens:

Tried to remove CPL polarized lens for night driving and it just spun around, could not get it off. Maybe time to get out the vise-grips, haha. Anybody else having problems?

3) Not Displaying Longitude data:
Lukas Viewer > Settings > Information (PC): Does not display any values for Longitude column, does for Latitude though. Map in viewer is correct, the speed display is accurate and distance for a short drive was off by 0.3 miles compared to Google Map. Others in the DashCamTalk forum have described larger discrepancies on longer trips. Does anybody see the same issue as me viewing the information data?
no long.jpg

4) Corruption and Missing Files:
I’m running in ACC mode and they occurred twice that I noticed, when I shut the car off (shutdown) and started up remotely. Each case two additional small corrupt files are created. I run chkdsk on the SD and it shows no fragmented files. Has anybody else get these small-corrupted files?
Shutdown 1.jpg

In the Viewer, the two good uncorrupted shutdown files (60K & 43K) are not being shown (missing) and the Lukas viewer hangs when it hits the corrupted files. Neither of the corrupted files will play outside the viewer with Windows Media Player.
Viewer 1.jpg
Took another drive and noticed similar issue with a new set of corrupted files.

Also had an instance where the date/time was kind of screwy in the viewer, compared to windows explorer there were out of sync, related to the corrupt file issue.

Calgary Dash Camera support (Sam), suggested reformatting the SD through windows first, then format again in the viewer, and finally to initialize the SD (set to default settings). Made some changes to these defaults then… Took the van out and did about five stops and starts, twice using the Remote Startup feature of the Viper alarm System. Did not see any of those small-corrupted files. Weather was different though, this day it was raining and 84 F when the corruption occurred it was HOT over 100 F.

I hope this is not going to be an ongoing issue with this camera as I will not be a happy camper. I assume the camera came with the SD cards formatted and the camera initialized to the defaults. Corruption happening at the wrong time could negate the whole purpose of having a black box.

5) Event File:
The event file does not display any values for Driving Shock Sensitivity values (X,Y,Z) which is odd because aside from manually creating an event file (E- button) that is what triggers the event file creation, it should show that data. If you have the Microphone off you will not hear the ding dong when the event occurred. You can jump to the other SD and play the Always file with the same date and time to hear/see the event but why should you have to, sort of defeats the notion of an event file.

I noticed the text does change from Always to Event at the bottom of screen but I just happened to catch that, it’s a little obscure.
Event 1.jpg
EventMovie
Event 2.jpg
AlwaysMovie
Event 3.jpg

Also, on the Event microSD if you go into Viewer->settings->information there is no data at all. The event file is your “incidence” file and to not have the data there, XYZ and Information does not make sense, you have to go to the SD with the movies to view that

6) Driving Shock Sensitivity:
I’m still not sure how this is working, I have it on the max sensitivity and it still seems a little intermittent when it triggers.

7) Parking mode:
I’ve just tried this a few times. I park in the handicap parking area and it is going off continuously. Also, some weird things seem to be happening, there are just so many files it is hard to get into what is really going on.

8) Lukas Viewer pausing continuously:
I discovered that a lot on how well the video image displays depends on what your running the viewer or displaying the videos on.

a) I have an Alienware Mx11 laptop which is a 13” display. Only 1.3 mhz dual core but decent graphics card, 4 gb memory, Win 7. Basically the viewer pauses continuously and the image quality is not that great. Don't know what the bottleneck is...
b) I have an Alienware Mx17 laptop, 2.4 mhz quad core processor, 6 gb memory, great graphics card, the screen display is very high quality, Win 7, the video image quality on this computer is really pretty good and there is no pausing, runs continuously.

9) Reflections:
I’m having problems with reflections off the dash, ordered dash cover, which should resolve that… Windshield is a little sandblasted (live in the desert and that happens) so at night when light hits screen I see little sand pits. Could replace windshield but it would just get blasted again…

Hopefully I’ll post some desert videos soon showing some of the windmill farms and maybe a cruse through downtown Palm Springs strip.

Any feedback on these issues will have value, please comment and share you similar experiences, thanks for reading this.

3) I did see various problems with the recorded data - I’ll check mine next week to see if the longitude data was missing here too but the milage counter at the bottom way always way out after a longer trip.

4) I did see the same problem and reported it - it seems totally random but suggests there is an issue with the shutdown process. I would say card fragmentation but I saw this same thing on a freshly formatted card. Likewise the issues I had with the camera putting up an error on the display and missing chunks of video is a nasty one but Lukas just said to format the card. Not useful at all if you have an accident.

6) Mine used to go off a lot and triggered more than the Panorama X2 sat at the side of it.

7) I never hooked up the camera for parking mode but have you got sensitivity at it’s lowest setting?

9) Did the CPL (which now seems to be a permanent fixture) not fix those? I never got around to trying the CPL before I removed the Lukas from testing - I’ll give it another go when a new firmware gets released.

Longer term you'll notice the sun bleach the IR filter and potentially the CPL filter - my IR filter turned orange over time. Not a problem but makes the camera more noticeable.

@CalgaryDashCam is perhaps the best one to answer these question, Robert knows the ins and outs and has contacts directly with the factory for anything he needs to check further
Thanks Jokiin, I actually have been working with both Rob and Sam at Calgary Dash Camera and they have really gone out of their way, so happy with their support. Really hoping to throw these out and see if other Lk-7950 users are having any of these issues too. Some are my issues like reflection and the viewer pausing (sharing these and solutions) and then my opinion concerning what I think should be or is missing on the event microSD files. But the others really apply to anybody that is using the camera. My biggest concern is the corruption, don't want that to keep sticking it's head out. Numbers 1,3 & 4 are the most concern and 6 & 9 I'm still trying to figure out.

3) I did see various problems with the recorded data - I’ll check mine next week to see if the longitude data was missing here too but the milage counter at the bottom way always way out after a longer trip.

4) I did see the same problem and reported it - it seems totally random but suggests there is an issue with the shutdown process. I would say card fragmentation but I saw this same thing on a freshly formatted card. Likewise the issues I had with the camera putting up an error on the display and missing chunks of video is a nasty one but Lukas just said to format the card. Not useful at all if you have an accident.

6) Mine used to go off a lot and triggered more than the Panorama X2 sat at the side of it.

7) I never hooked up the camera for parking mode but have you got sensitivity at it’s lowest setting?

9) Did the CPL (which now seems to be a permanent fixture) not fix those? I never got around to trying the CPL before I removed the Lukas from testing - I’ll give it another go when a new firmware gets released.

Longer term you'll notice the sun bleach the IR filter and potentially the CPL filter - my IR filter turned orange over time. Not a problem but makes the camera more noticeable.
Hi reverend, on item 4) I have to say that Lukas seems to be taking a laxidasical attitude to something that we all take very seriously. Imagine if the manufactures of Boeing or Delta's black boxes had that sort of mind set. I wonder if it is just with the 7950, wonder if the new LCD model has the same issue? I think Sam at Calgary has one of those I'll ask him.

For item 7) I have the impact sensitivity high and motion sensitivity on the default 3.
lk reflection1.jpg
For Item 9) the CPL helped, image was very bright and that toned it down but the reflection is still very bad. In this picture I am actually stopping in at Toyota to order a dash cover to fix it...

It seems that Lukas has a coating issue with it's lens's if their turning orange, that's too bad.

Thanks for your feedback reverend, cheers!

@BusterDuster
2. CPL lens has outer ring that rotates freely to adjust best angle.
You have to rotate the 2nd ring that's screwed in to take it out.

4. I only had CHK error once while wifi streaming and lost some of the rear cam footage but hasn't happened after that.

6. I think on LK-7950, the lower the number the insensitive it is so if you want more sensitive, make it 4 or higher.
I have it at 1, most insensitive and it still triggers even when braking hard.

7. Parking is triggered off of motion so you'll have many files.

9. I think you are not using CPL filter correctly as my CPL works very good.
Test with a white paper on dashboard and rotate the outer CPL ring until the paper's reflection is at the lowest.

This will give you idea on what to rotate and how to test CPL:

@BusterDuster
2. CPL lens has outer ring that rotates freely to adjust best angle.
You have to rotate the 2nd ring that's screwed in to take it out.

4. I only had CHK error once while wifi streaming and lost some of the rear cam footage but hasn't happened after that.

6. I think on LK-7950, the lower the number the insensitive it is so if you want more sensitive, make it 4 or higher.
I have it at 1, most insensitive and it still triggers even when braking hard.

7. Parking is triggered off of motion so you'll have many files.

9. I think you are not using CPL filter correctly as my CPL works very good.
Test with a white paper on dashboard and rotate the outer CPL ring until the paper's reflection is at the lowest.

This will give you idea on what to rotate and how to test CPL:
9. Yes Sunny, you are exactly right. The camera lens must be slightly polarized and the CPL.
That's how you get that effect. If you take an old pair of polarized sunglasses and pop the lenses then put one in-front of each other, looking through while you rotate you can actually cut out the light completely. This is the same principle just not as polarized I guess. Thanks for setting me straight! I will try to adjust. Well, that dash cover won't hurt anyway, will help protect the dash from the sun and give added anti-reflection. It would be nice if it had stops that you could set and rotate for day and night settings. I'll put away the vise-grips now, they were making me nervous anyway.

@Sunny
Just wondering once you find that sweet spot with the CPL lens, what do you do about night driving?
Do you drive with the CPL lens, take it off, or what? Thanks

@Sunny
Just wondering once you find that sweet spot with the CPL lens, what do you do about night driving?
Do you drive with the CPL lens, take it off, or what? Thanks
Yes, I leave it on there.
It makes it little darker, specially on the areas where headlights don't reach.
Straight ahead is not too bad.

Yes, I leave it on there.
It makes it little darker, specially on the areas where headlights don't reach.
Straight ahead is not too bad.
Right On Sunny! What I did was this; sun rising in the east and I parked heading north by an open field. This gave me the most reflection. Then just like you said dialed it in until the reflection was gone... What a difference, thanks!

You can mark the max and min points with some pen and rotate at night to min.
Excellent point! I get reflection at night too though. Have a JBL factory kit and on the dash there is a big JBL emblem and that shows up really pronounced in certain lighting at night... that should go away with the dash cover though. Like I suggested earlier, if they made one with settable start and stop tabs then it would be a no brainer.

@CalgaryDashCam
I have to say when I first started viewing this forum I was really impressed with the support that I saw being provided especially on the Street Guardian side of the fence. My experience with the folks at CalgaryDashCam has been similar and would like to thank them for all their help. They have been very responsive and as I mentioned the purchasing experience was very nice. For anybody jumping into this, there is a learning curve to grind through and inevitably questions and issues. Unfortunately, I think you have to bring out the bad sometimes to get better in terms of issues. Many get resolved quickly by other members and that is sweet, while other issues are tougher to flush out and get resolved or achieve satisfaction , i.e. corrupted files. The manufactures should be watching these forums because there is a lot of free trouble shooting that they can gleam on to improve and clean up their products. Also a lot of good product ideas pop up. Again, thanks to Rob and his gang for support, and anybody else sharing their thoughts.

@CalgaryDashCam
I have to say when I first started viewing this forum I was really impressed with the support that I saw being provided especially on the Street Guardian side of the fence. My experience with the folks at CalgaryDashCam has been similar and would like to thank them for all their help. They have been very responsive and as I mentioned the purchasing experience was very nice. For anybody jumping into this, there is a learning curve to grind through and inevitably questions and issues. Unfortunately, I think you have to bring out the bad sometimes to get better in terms of issues. Many get resolved quickly by other members and that is sweet, while other issues are tougher to flush out and get resolved or achieve satisfaction , i.e. corrupted files. The manufactures should be watching these forums because there is a lot of free trouble shooting that they can gleam on to improve and clean up their products. Also a lot of good product ideas pop up. Again, thanks to Rob and his gang for support, and anybody else sharing their thoughts.

Rob has a great work ethic and is very customer service focused, one of the prime reasons he is now the official supplier of Street Guardian products in Canada, I met Rob last April in Hong Kong and we talked at length, he definitely does business the way we like

I came across this method in the User Manual to reformat both the SD and microSD through the camera using both the E and M buttons. Might be a handy tool.
I have not tried this yet, the instructions leave me a tad confused but I'm sure it will work.
format both.jpg

I came across this method in the User Manual to reformat both the SD and microSD through the camera using both the E and M buttons. Might be a handy tool.
I have not tried this yet, the instructions leave me a tad confused but I'm sure it will work.
View attachment 14716
That works fine.
I've used that few times.

@Sunny
I was wondering if you could pop your LK-7950 sd into your pc and see if Longitude data is present.
Lukas Viewer > Settings > Information
mine was missing... latitude was there though...
no long - 2.jpg

Back