new low-profile variant of G1W?

Gibson99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Yes
was looking for a g1w on ebay and found this unit in the seller's other items. supposedly uses the same chipset and sensor as the g1w but in a much better form factor - mounts flat against the windscreen and includes a nice cover for the wires, which would greatly increase the WAF (wife-acceptance factor). only possible issue would be the 170 deg FOV that it claims to have.

one other thing i noticed - there are 3 plugs on the top of it - usb, in, and avout. the 'in' plug piques my curiosity. it makes me wonder whether i can plug in a second camera for a rear view.

i already have one of the older dual lens models with a remote rear camera (one of these). almost looks like i might be able to plug my existing rear camera into this unit and it may start working. of course if the software isn't set up for that, or this isn't actually a secondary input, then i don't expect much of anything to happen.

price is right for similar hardware to g1w, so i may just buy it anyway, and even if my existing rear camera doesn't work with this, at least i'll have a 1080p cam that looks much better than the g1w and its bulky mount.

has anyone else tried one of these yet?

LOL @ WAF :)

Actually its not new variant of G1W. Its independent model based on similar hardware, which originally in mass production started using by DOD LS300W model. ;)

This model is from Sept. 2013
Official name is B40 ( originally under Tiesfong brand name ). Foxoffer sells B40 under A118 SKU. I have it over 2 month and quite happy with it. Check sub-forum: A118 / B40

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/b40-a118-ae-cc30.77/

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, thanks, i'll check that out. hadn't seen this form factor before and didn't see it listed on frontpage of this site (obviously i'm new here), and there was no model info listed on that ebay listing. of course, with these cams there's clones of clones of clones, and there are only 50 bajillion of them out there to choose from, so easy to miss one here and there.

Back