New Lukas Qvia AR790 2CH?

Yay, just received mine yesterday! I just got new tint on my windshield and back glass, so I will have to wait a week for that to cure before I can stick things to it. :( Hopefully I can get this installed soon and test it out.

Had my new AR790 installed today - just playing around with it now.

Can I ask if any 256gb/200GB cards have been tested working with the unit?
The Sandisk is the cheapest for a large size:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00V62XBQQand the Samsung Evo plus is also widely available:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01JNGCWHU
Also just for reference are there any 128GB cards which have been tested.
As far as I am aware there are not Lukas micro SD cards in this size to purchase at this stage.

Yay, just received mine yesterday! I just got new tint on my windshield and back glass, so I will have to wait a week for that to cure before I can stick things to it. :( Hopefully I can get this installed soon and test it out.
How dark is your tint? Have 15% tint on my rear windshield, wondering how's the video quality with tinted windows.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00V62XBQQand the Samsung Evo plus is also widely available:
As far as I am aware there are not Lukas micro SD cards in this size to purchase at this stage.
How's the video quality?hope you vould post some videos..haven't seen any sample yet from this dash cam

Sent from my ALCATEL ONETOUCH Flash Plus using Tapatalk

I bought a Samsung Pro+ 128GB microSD and have only within the past couple of days started using it. It seems fine so far. I have heard that the Sandisks should not be used but I tried a Sandisk Ultra 64GB card for a couple of days and it also worked fine. I think you just have to buy it and hope for the best :) The down side is that cards at 128GB & 256GB are almost certainly using TLC memory and not MLC, so, in theory they will not last as long. This may be somewhat offset by their larger storage capacity causing less cycling of the memory as videos are re-written.

Also, I posted some video samples from this camera in a small review in case anyone is interested!

I ended up getting the 200gb Lexar 633x card as it was about the same price as the San Disk but seemed to have a better reputation. Installed this week and working ok so far.

Anyone know what the low voltage cutoff setting is? Can't seem to find that info anywhere. I even downloaded the AR790 2CH owners manual and that sort of data isn't shown. Simply states " the device records during pre-set voltage or time before shutdown." And as long as I'm asking, how about the bitrate?

Not sure about the low voltage cut off, but I posted specs from running ffprobe on the front/rear videos on my site here. Hope that helps!

It does help. On paper at least, this camera ought to have very good video quality for a 1080p 2CH set up. Absent that glare from the windows and it I'll bet it does.

Anxiously waiting for somebody to review...

I saw the post. From the looks of the night time footage overexposure blows out anything illuminated or reflective; license plates and the odd billboard were completely unreadable. Some of the less impressive night time footage I've seen. I was wondering if there was a CPL on the camera, if you tried playing with the exposures, is there a WDR setting available, etc. I was very impressed with bitrates of 22k and 16k, but I was very unimpressed with the video quality considering. I'd also like to see more night time exposure examples of items not illuminated or reflective, i.e. pedestrians lurking in the shadows, and light/dark transitions such as tunnel entries and exits. Some serious tweaking is in order, and I'm curious to see how much better it can get.

I was also wondering if you got to kick the tires with parking mode and how well it works. Does it pre-buffer, does it use motion or shock or audio as a trigger, etc.

How are general housekeeping and other utility functionality? Wifi? Apps? Was it intuitive, functional, usable, confusing, could you do everything from a smartphone without removing the memory card?

Quite a laundry list, I know. I don't expect you to spend your time dissecting the camera to that degree. But those are the type of reviews I'm looking forward to seeing. Eventually. At some point inevitably I'm going to have to pony up my own cash and just find out for myself. But dashcams are a far less expensive habit if you can live vicariously through others...

But dashcams are a far less expensive habit if you can live vicariously through others...
This is an intriguing 2CH camera I find interesting for a number of reasons. But I can't nail down it's video quality. Thankfully Thirstyross has one of the few reviews out there, but he doesn't exactly give it a ringing endorsement. Its a shame there aren't more reviews available because the specs say this camera could be a little bit better than the F770. I have a F770, and am unimpressed with its video quality.

Thankfully Thirstyross has one of the few reviews out there, but he doesn't exactly give it a ringing endorsement.

It's a great cam, don't get me wrong. I am always hopeful for "perfect" video quality. I'd buy it again.

I saw the post. From the looks of the night time footage overexposure blows out anything illuminated or reflective; license plates and the odd billboard were completely unreadable. Some of the less impressive night time footage I've seen. I was wondering if there was a CPL on the camera, if you tried playing with the exposures, is there a WDR setting available, etc. I was very impressed with bitrates of 22k and 16k, but I was very unimpressed with the video quality considering. I'd also like to see more night time exposure examples of items not illuminated or reflective, i.e. pedestrians lurking in the shadows, and light/dark transitions such as tunnel entries and exits. Some serious tweaking is in order, and I'm curious to see how much better it can get.

There was no CPL filter, and it doesn't appear that it readily accepts one like other Lukas cameras (there are none listed as accessories, for example). The only settings around quality appear to be setting brightness, and whether "super night mode" or whatever is activated. On my camera, the night mode is activated. For the bitrate I think there may be some confusion there, as you are quoting the overall mp4 numbers. The video stream numbers are as follows:

Front camera is:
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080, 10986 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)
Rear camera is:
Stream #0:0(eng): Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p(tv, bt709), 1920x1080, 7001 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 30k tbn, 59.94 tbc (default)

I was also wondering if you got to kick the tires with parking mode and how well it works. Does it pre-buffer, does it use motion or shock or audio as a trigger, etc.

I've tested the parking mode extensively, after turning down the motion detection sensitivity it works very well. It prebuffers so gets video before the incident without issue. It uses motion detection and shock sensor, and the shock threshold can have two settings, one for parking mode one for driving.

How are general housekeeping and other utility functionality? Wifi? Apps? Was it intuitive, functional, usable, confusing, could you do everything from a smartphone without removing the memory card?

The app is fine, some functions like formatting the sd card within the app don't seem to work at all. But you can format the card by pressing a couple buttons on the cam so it's not a big deal. Have not had any other issues I can recall. Support from my retailer has been great, had a couple small issues but they sent me the latest firmware and all is well. The only negative thing I've observed so far is that sometimes the gps will not reactivate properly after coming out of parking mode, but turning the cam off and on again sorts it out. Hoping another firmware update will fix this :)

Quite a laundry list, I know. I don't expect you to spend your time dissecting the camera to that degree. But those are the type of reviews I'm looking forward to seeing. Eventually. At some point inevitably I'm going to have to pony up my own cash and just find out for myself. But dashcams are a far less expensive habit if you can live vicariously through others...

I have this device now for about a month and it has already been returned once to the shop because my 128GB lexar sd card doesn't work. The device keeps saying "Please format"
But also because the ADAS light keeps flashing red which indicates that the calibration for ADAS is still going on.
I'm in discussion with the webshop to decide to keep the device or change it for another... but what other... In my opinion this was the only one that suited all my needs.

I read on the internet that firing up a big SD card requires more power and I think this might be the issue because after some testing by the shop they managed to get it working. So perhaps the cable with connector the the cig-lighter isn't good enough. Might have to try to connect it directly in the fuse box (but I have zero knowledge of that and I don't it permanently on) 16 GB works fine.

Whatever i'm trying the device keeps flashing the red light of ADAS.
- turn off and on again and it goes back to flashing red.
- after firmware reinstall it goes back to flashing red
- try calibration again, still no changes.

ADAS is too sensitive and you cannot turn it off. Even with every setting on ADAS to not use and or insensitive it still gives beeps once in a while when I switch lanes or when a car crosses over.

I have this device now for about a month and it has already been returned once to the shop because my 128GB lexar sd card doesn't work. The device keeps saying "Please format"
But also because the ADAS light keeps flashing red which indicates that the calibration for ADAS is still going on.
I'm in discussion with the webshop to decide to keep the device or change it for another... but what other... In my opinion this was the only one that suited all my needs.

I read on the internet that firing up a big SD card requires more power and I think this might be the issue because after some testing by the shop they managed to get it working. So perhaps the cable with connector the the cig-lighter isn't good enough. Might have to try to connect it directly in the fuse box (but I have zero knowledge of that and I don't it permanently on) 16 GB works fine.

Whatever i'm trying the device keeps flashing the red light of ADAS.
- turn off and on again and it goes back to flashing red.
- after firmware reinstall it goes back to flashing red
- try calibration again, still no changes.

ADAS is too sensitive and you cannot turn it off. Even with every setting on ADAS to not use and or insensitive it still gives beeps once in a while when I switch lanes or when a car crosses over.

I had this same problem with a Lexar 300x 64gb card. It kept saying please format and wouldn't overwrite old files.

I tried updating the firmware (then the latest was 3.03) but that didn't help. It didn't go away until I installed a Lexar 200gb 633x card.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...200bbnl633r_200gb_high_performance_uhs_i.html

This has been running fine ever since. Based on that I think it might be a card problem (not strictly the card's fault but maybe the camera is picky).

Have you tried updating the firmware to 3.05 such I see had been released now?

Also not being able to disable ADAS is stupid but I have set mine to the max speed so at least it only happens on the freeway and not in regular driving.

I had this same problem with a Lexar 300x 64gb card. It kept saying please format and wouldn't overwrite old files.

I tried updating the firmware (then the latest was 3.03) but that didn't help. It didn't go away until I installed a Lexar 200gb 633x card.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...200bbnl633r_200gb_high_performance_uhs_i.html

This has been running fine ever since. Based on that I think it might be a card problem (not strictly the card's fault but maybe the camera is picky).

Have you tried updating the firmware to 3.05 such I see had been released now?

Also not being able to disable ADAS is stupid but I have set mine to the max speed so at least it only happens on the freeway and not in regular driving.

I have the lexar 633x 128gb. So it should be the same as yours, just a tad smaller ;-)
But thanks for the tip!

ADAS tip to max speed is a good one.
However I'm wondering a couple of things. If you could help me with these questions please.

1. Does your ADAS led flash red constantly? (the right one of the three)
2. Did you calibrate? If so, how exactly?

Thanks

Back