New Police Dashcam Site

Not a very good idea to have a private company intercepting all our witness videos and statements on their way to the police!

They should go straight to the police, and despite that article saying that it is only North Wales that currently allows it, Operation Snap expanded to cover most of Wales and the same website is now used by some English police forces too.

Is Nextbase's actually attempting to run the "national-dash-cam-safety-portal", which is what they have called their website, or is it going to be about as successful as http://www.policewitness.com/blog/ ? And how come they are calling the Nextbase National Dashcam Safety Portal "Operation Snap"?

Was it OP Considerate run by the police that was asking for dashcam footage to be sent in, but specifically saying they want to see your WHOLE journey, not just the specific incident, which would mean you risk being scrutinised for doing 33 in a 30, which would put you off sending in the video in? (as in my own case)

Was it OP Considerate run by the police that was asking for dashcam footage to be sent in, but specifically saying they want to see your WHOLE journey, not just the specific incident, which would mean you risk being scrutinised for doing 33 in a 30, which would put you off sending in the video in? (as in my own case)
They are only asking for original files, so if you set your loop recording to 1 minute then you will not have to supply much extra footage, although if the culprit claims that his actions were a result of what you did earlier then they may need a bit more to be able to make progress.

I note that clicking on my police area results in the instructions to email my local police! In other words, maybe the Nextbase site doesn't actually do much other that provide a form to fill in which gets forwarded to the appropriate police site if one is available.

I wish the police here had a similar option, cuz the problem is the same here with a understaffed police force not able to do much.
Which are kinda funny as video evidence are pretty much just look at it, identify offender and offenses and send out fines or go collect driving license.

In general dashcam footage will do the work of several traffic cops, or meaning 1 traffic cop can do the work of several from the comfort of his warm office.
So to me it is a win - win situation, now we just need more dashcams on the streets, here insurance companies could pitch in, or be forced to pitch in if the law makers had any sense.

although if the culprit claims that his actions were a result of what you did earlier then they may need a bit more to be able to make progress.

For this reason when i turned in that idiot a while back i provided footage from my rear camera showing him coming up fast from behind, then the front footage for the next miles with him in front of me, and then all the way up to his major brain melt.

People getting called out, will probably try a lot to get out of their predicament. so better safe than sorry and after all saving 10 "X" minute files are no problem.

W really wish they would start something like that where I live, but I doubt it will happen here, to much police corruption!!

We had report aggressive driving hotlines and some websites that came into being before dashcams came readily available but appears either funding or interest in these things get lost. Not sure if it was a government body running these things, but the region is so under resourced for traffic enforcement I am afraid it would not really work. I didn't post the newspaper link or the videos, but there has been a few cases where bicyclist were involved in a collision and the offending vehicle did not go to the collision reporting centre but the bicyclist did. In one case, there is clear video of the driver on her phone before and after the collision and police have never pursued the matter.

We had report aggressive driving hotlines and some websites that came into being before dashcams came readily available but appears either funding or interest in these things get lost. Not sure if it was a government body running these things, but the region is so under resourced for traffic enforcement I am afraid it would not really work. I didn't post the newspaper link or the videos, but there has been a few cases where bicyclist were involved in a collision and the offending vehicle did not go to the collision reporting centre but the bicyclist did. In one case, there is clear video of the driver on her phone before and after the collision and police have never pursued the matter.

This/your last sentence sums up the cops where I live: "
In one case, there is clear video of the driver on her phone before and after the collision and police have never pursued the matter."

Them are strong words @Lola, but if needed words that must to be said.

I only want to know how they will handle video of police acting badly.
Will prosecutions really happen? I doubt it.

Here cops no longer investigate other cops, but this only changed a little while back, and still i am not too sure about the findings that have come out of this lately.
Pretty embarrassing and something i look for in some one worthy of my vote to change or improve upon, personally i feel there can be no question about a police forces integrity, if there is, then this must change immediately.
Same goes for the people making the laws, i am astonished that all the parties founded when Denmark moved from a king ruling supreme to a democracy still exist, by my way of counting they should all be gone now, or have faded from popularity several times by now.
But they havent cuz Danes like to be pleased, and change, thats for someone else to do, surely not me, and if it is me, then it better just be a little bit of change.

History is rich with tribes who don't want changes! Humans, since time immemorial want to continue with the familiar, fearing the unknown! Who can place blame?

Our federal police agencies are continuously investigating democrat city's corruption! New Orleans is one of our corrupt cities. Of seven Illinois governors, four have gone to prison for corruption!

I note that clicking on my police area results in the instructions to email my local police! In other words, maybe the Nextbase site doesn't actually do much other that provide a form to fill in which gets forwarded to the appropriate police site if one is available.
When I clicked on my region, North Yorkshire, it simply forwards me to Operation Spartan which is North Yorkshire Police's website for residents to fill in a Driving Concern Form or share dashcam videos.

It's nice to have a central point for all UK dashcam owners to forward evidence of unsafe road use. However I would prefer that such a site was run by Police / Government than by a private company.

I noted this common-sense advice on the Nextbase NDSP FAQ page:

WILL MY OWN DRIVING OR THE WAY IN WHICH I CAPTURED THE FOOTAGE BE SCRUTINISED?
The police will impartially review the footage which you submit and deal appropriately with all offences which may be disclosed. For example, if you were exceeding the speed limit in order to catch up with an offending driver and then proceeded to film them with your mobile phone whilst driving, the police would consider taking proceedings against you. There is no legal exemption allowing you to commit a driving offence in order to record evidence of offending by another driver.

Another reason to drive within the law.
To be honest the speeding to catch up i did too when starting out, until one day reaching 130 km/h on a 80 highway and still not catching up to the taxi that blew past me, then it suddenly hit me,,,,, dude you are a idiot too right now.

One must resist the urge to keep up with idiots, in speed or doings.

When I clicked on my region, North Yorkshire, it simply forwards me to Operation Spartan which is North Yorkshire Police's website for residents to fill in a Driving Concern Form or share dashcam videos.

It's nice to have a central point for all UK dashcam owners to forward evidence of unsafe road use. However I would prefer that such a site was run by Police / Government than by a private company.

I noted this common-sense advice on the Nextbase NDSP FAQ page:

The police will impartially review the footage which you submit and deal appropriately with all offences which may be disclosed. For example, if you were exceeding the speed limit in order to catch up with an offending driver and then proceeded to film them with your mobile phone whilst driving, the police would consider taking proceedings against you. There is no legal exemption allowing you to commit a driving offence in order to record evidence of offending by another driver.
The FAQ is just a copy of the Welsh Operation Snap FAQ.

I wouldn't mind so much if they acknowledged where they stole it all from, instead of making out that their private company is what is behind the national system and that they are providing the service.

Their map with contact detals/links is useful, but there is nothing special about a useful links page.

Not a very good idea to have a private company intercepting all our witness videos and statements on their way to the police!

They should go straight to the police, and despite that article saying that it is only North Wales that currently allows it, Operation Snap expanded to cover most of Wales and the same website is now used by some English police forces too.

Is Nextbase's actually attempting to run the "national-dash-cam-safety-portal", which is what they have called their website, or is it going to be about as successful as http://www.policewitness.com/blog/ ? And how come they are calling the Nextbase National Dashcam Safety Portal "Operation Snap"?

We don’t intercept any, it’s aim is to make the current clunky system smoother for both the people who have witnessed the offence and the police.

It’s not just about Dash Cams, anyone can upload from any device, say a mobile phone if you see something and you video it.

The servers where the data is stored and downloaded by the police is run by a company who already do government/military/police data security.

The same amount of files should be uploaded just making the process simpler for all involved.

specifically saying they want to see your WHOLE journey, not just the specific incident, which would mean you risk being scrutinised for doing 33 in a 30, which would put you off sending in the video in? (as in my own case)

Worth bearing in mind that the speed on the footage isn’t 100% accurate since it’s distance over time.

FWIW, if they can work out an average speed over a given distance, they know you have reached or exceeded that average speed at some point during that travel.

I.e. an average can easily be used to prove you've exceeded a speed limit, but not that you've stayed below it (which would take more work - many samples.)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back