NEW Product out now! VICO-WF1, WIFI!!

niko said:
JazJon said:
Wow, VicoVation has real potential! I'm impressed with the video quality and promise of firmware updates adding feature enhancements. This is what the BlackView WiFi DashCam's should have been for the price they charge. (poor video quality though) We want outstanding video quality in addition to the WiFi bells & whistles if we are going to pay over $200 for a DashCam. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the iOS app works and over all impressions by trusted members of this forum.

I'm not sure I trust anything out today though that doesn't meet or beat high heat tolerances on new A7L-A based DashCams around the corner.
http://www.ambarella.com/products/autom ... tions.html

If motion detection / parking mode will be added + seeing data and video results "on a paoer", I think new Vico will be my next choice, however all need to be test and try vs other my favorite dash cams to make final conclusions.
For "our" region with mild weather I dont mind Vico has built in battery, but I would still be concerned on long term usage of Vico in hot countries.

I hope you get this Niko, I'd really like to see a review! I'd upgrade to an iOS capable compact WiFi DashCam with outstanding WDR video quality. I don't want to be the first though. I'm looking forward to a trusted source review!

EDIT: Oh wait there is no GPS? :-( never mind

Last edited by a moderator:
JJ,

Yeah, the GPS or lack thereof caught my attention too. Almost everything buuuuuuuuut no GPS. Dhop!! :-(

Wonder if that will be a future option or how much of a must have vs. nice to have feature that is for most.

onemanshow said:
JJ,

Yeah, the GPS or lack thereof caught my attention too. Almost everything buuuuuuuuut no GPS. Dhop!! :-(

Wonder if that will be a future option or how much of a must have vs. nice to have feature that is for most.

With CPU which Vico uses, there is only one choice: GPS or WiFi, - there can not be 2 in 1. Hardware does not allow this, so "we" can forget about GPS on any WiFi dash cam using "present" generation CPU. Only Ambarella A7 -and higher are capable having both ( with + gps ).
For me personally GPS is not a big issue, - it's not giving me or police a vital data needed to prove something. GPS location can be seen / calculated from the footage. Speed also can be calculated from the video ( distance covered by time unit ), so in real life for evidence purpose GPS-log is not that important. It's more like just for fun.

niko said:
onemanshow said:
JJ,

With CPU which Vico uses, there is only one choice: GPS or WiFi, - there can not be 2 in 1. Hardware does not allow this, so "we" can forget about GPS on any WiFi dash cam using "present" generation CPU. Only Ambarella A7 -and higher are capable having both ( with + gps ).
For me personally GPS is not a big issue, - it's not giving me or police a vital data needed to prove something. GPS location can be seen / calculated from the footage. Speed also can be calculated from the video ( distance covered by time unit ), so in real life for evidence purpose GPS-log is not that important. It's more like just for fun.

That explains a lot thanks Niko. I want to see GPS routes via RegistratorViewer. I will use footage more for fun than accidents/incidents so GPS is a fun-must. I'll gladly wait for the next generation and stick with my mini 0801 for now then. (which is the perfect "starter" cam for me) I still want to check out reviews on this thing for fun though.

JazJon said:
niko said:
onemanshow said:
JJ,

That explains a lot thanks Niko. I want to see GPS routes via RegistratorViewer. I will use footage more for fun than accidents/incidents so GPS is a fun-must. I'll gladly wait for the next generation and stick with my mini 0801 for now then. (which is the perfect "starter" cam for me) I still want to check out reviews on this thing for fun though.

I understand you desire have things " for fun", - same here :) , SOme time I buy almost useless gadget, just for fun.
I guess if Vico would have same product now based on A7 cpu, + gps + wifi, - this would cost 1.5-2 times higher. For sure later when A7 become more common, price would go down. So here I start thinking, - is this "fun" worth money ?

I don't see why the VICO-WF1 couldn't pull the GPS data directly from the iPhone/Android device. Is that an option? Or the iPhone app logs location and adds the info to the video files you import. That might be a good work around. yes?no?'

Bluetooth 4.0 has this feature, the app doesn't even need to be running with http://findmycarsmarter.com/Welcome.html (works great, maybe something similar? for the data data hand off?)

I understand you desire have things " for fun", - same here :) , SOme time I buy almost useless gadget, just for fun.
I guess if Vico would have same product now based on A7 cpu, + gps + wifi, - this would cost 1.5-2 times higher. For sure later when A7 become more common, price would go down. So here I start thinking, - is this "fun" worth money ?
Of corse GPS is a great thing to play around with. However, this should not be the deal breaker to buying a DashCam. What people really need to focus on is the Quality/Reliability of the product and the Clarity of the Picture.

With regards to legality, the courts ( in Australia ) now know that the GPS speed/longitude/latitude can easily be changed within the firmware and taking into consideration that these variables are not set in stone all the time, they concentrate on the raw footage.

Kind Regards

JazJon said:
I don't see why the VICO-WF1 couldn't pull the GPS data directly from the iPhone/Android device. Is that an option? Or the iPhone app logs location and adds the info to the video files you import. That might be a good work around. yes?no?'

Bluetooth 4.0 has this feature, the app doesn't even need to be running with http://findmycarsmarter.com/Welcome.html (works great, maybe something similar? for the data data hand off?)

Hi JazJon,

VicoVation is currently working with the company that produced the app " Driving Curve " which will do what you have just stated and much more!

You can check the driving curve app out at-

http://drivingcurve.com

DashCams.Australia said:
JazJon said:

Hi JazJon,

VicoVation is currently working with the company that produced the app " Driving Curve " which will do what you have just stated and much more!

EDIT, was writing the below as you posted the above. Wow nice! Can we mix the GPS Data into the actual h.264 videos? I like using Registrator Viewer's ability to mix in all time/date/gps data as an embedded subtitle etc. (with a selected clip shown with route/map data to the right of video editing) I'd like to see a full review on how this works. It seems to be a stand alone app so far. I want integration into the actual Video. (or at least .LOG files that can be auto linked to video files on Registrator Viewer) I also like the Registrator Viewer option that allows us to generate .SRT (subtitle) files we can upload to youtube for CC (Closed Caption) text instead of using hard subtitles. This way we keep the video clean and add the exact subtitles we want in the font/location we choose.

True, I guess I would actually put WDR + Quality & WiFi App access over GPS, but I still want it all :) If I didn't already own the Mini 0801 I might dive in, but I think I'll wait to see what Jokiin releases soon first. I guess a really exciting app and positive reviews might sway me so bring it on.

JazJon said:

You have a point, but there are few drawbacks.
Your smart phone gps + wifi has to be always on to receive and transmit data, this way consuming a lot of power, need always to be connected to car cigarette lighter charger, so I guess its not that practical solution at this point where most manufacturers realise new gen A7 based cpu-s coming out and it will be more practical to go with the new gen solutions with their new products rather than investing more money into tune-up of "old" generation hardware / firmware, where they need to write a new firmware that would read gps data log from mobile phones. Besides not all smart phones perform equally ( different OS, different gps data log files, etc), so it would be a big challenge for dash cam software programmers.
I think more practical at this stage to invest into new technologies rather doing "something revolutionary" with older ones.
Also I think majority people who realizes gps data log option being the last "important thing" on their wish list ( just for fun ) will still go with new Vico or similar range other good dash cams, because nr1 we all need from dash cam is very good video quality and reliability / performance vs price, then formfactor and additional extras. There is no point of having fully loaded dash cam with wifi, gps, obd and other fancy stuff if video quality and performance is poor. So for me nr1 is video and performance.
For all other buyers who want all in one need to wait I guess at least half year when A7 cpu based dash cams are more tested, more developed, bugs removed, etc.

True True, I'm pretty good at squeezing re-sale value out of any electrics I buy (a pro at ebay) so I don't mind upgrading twice in one year etc. So right now I'm happy on the mini 0801, if the WF1 wow's me I might try it. Either way I'm ready for the next generation DashCams that have all the features I want at once. So again, I'd temporarily trade the GPS data for Outstanding WiFi iOS App performance. (and added WDR/Night boost) I'm looking forward to in depth reviews.

DashCams.Australia said:
JazJon said:

Hi JazJon,

Thats a great news and my guesses about "not practicality to invest in something innovative based on present cpu platform" were wrong. I am glad I was wrong and that Vico is listening to the end user / consumer trying to satisfy our needs. So I guess I have to start sourcing out where is the best place to get Vico for full tests. It really catched my eye when first announced, but back then very little useful info was available.

niko said:
Thats a great news and my guesses about "not practicality to invest in something innovative based on present cpu platform" were wrong. I am glad I was wrong and that Vico is listening to the end user / consumer trying to satisfy our needs. So I guess I have to start sourcing out where is the best place to get Vico for full tests. It really catched my eye when first announced, but back then very little useful info was available.

I hope you're the fist person to get one, you know how to pick apart what's good/bad. I look forward to your opinion/mini review.

JazJon said:
True True, I'm pretty good at squeezing re-sale value out of any electrics I buy (a pro at ebay) so I don't mind upgrading twice in one year etc. So right now I'm happy on the mini 0801, if the WF1 wow's me I might try it. Either way I'm ready for the next generation DashCams that have all the features I want at once. So again, I'd temporarily trade the GPS data for Outstanding WiFi iOS App performance. (and added WDR/Night boost) I'm looking forward to in depth reviews.

I think the easiest solution for Vico and many other dash cam manufacturers at this stage ( where present cpu-s used ) is instead of wifi to ad a gps + ability to connect dash cam with your smart phone via usb otg cable like Mobius has this solution.
Lets be realistic, how often do we need to "touch" dash cam? Most of us want it set-and-forget. Only need to "touch" it:
- when first time mounted for correct view angle
- when need to do some settings changes
- when need to see some footage

Above mentioned "needs to touch a dash cam" occur rarely, so Mobius-type solution with usb-otg connectivity would be the easiest and most practical ( and cheaper for end buyer )

JazJon said:
niko said:

I hope you're the fist person to get one, you know how to pick apart what's good/bad. I look forward to your opinion/mini review.

I can assure you I will not be the first to get and review it. I blew up "my budget", just bought 5 new dash cams ( 2 new Korean sony exmor based expensive ones, 1ch and 2ch, rest is Chinese mid- and budget range ), will be doing reviews soon. This all i buy for my own hard-earned money just because of passion to technology, nobody supports me, so sadly new Vico has to wait for some time. Unless manufacturer or dealers will be willing to provide one free sample for full review. Even with the option that I will return it after review / tests are done. But it looks like "they" have other ideas on how to promote products or afraid independet reviewer be too hush / critical ( which I will be reasonably, fairly ). Anyway, sooner or later all pros and cons will surface, as we can see from all other dash cams discussed in this forum.

Ashley_E said:
Is the picture slightly crisper on the wf1 than the tf2+ premium?

Only by looking at specs on the paper or youtube videos it is speculative. It can be confirmed only after somebody will do side by side test.

niko said:
Ashley_E said:

Only by looking at specs on the paper or youtube videos it is speculative. It can be confirmed only after somebody will do side by side test.
I imagine this will take a while..

Ashley_E said:
niko said:
Ashley_E said:

I imagine this will take a while..

Maybe if some vendor who has both models in stock can make a test and provide true result for us ( raw files, video vs video ), so potential buyer can decide in which model favour to go.

Back