New thread on polarizer filter for BlackVue DR500GW-HD

Thank you for the info erewhon.

I have just bought a couple of "black strong and flexible" prototypes from shapeways...
Hope to get the soon!!!

I'm sure they will work great. Thanks for your work once again!!!!
Thanks, pyarza!

Maybe you will get the latest prototype before I do.

I have changed the part descriptions at both Shapeways and Sculpteo to read "White (or Black)".

Also, there is no mark-up on the prices - I pay what you pay. I figured that I would not get rich, so why try?

Also, at the Shapeways site, the "Download Model" button is enabled for those of you who want to print on your own 3D printers.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ErewhonGadgets

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/s/markfisher58958/

Here is some more information on plastic versus resin for the adapter.

The adapter is likely to experience high heat conditions when your car is locked and parked in the sun. The plastics from Shapeways and Sculpteo are likely to tolerate heat much better than the resin products.

From Shapeways

The Strong & Flexible Plastic "...is heatproof to 80C/176F degrees. Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties."

The Detail Plastic is a resin or photopolymer that "...is heatproof to 48C/118.4F degrees. Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties."

From Sculpteo

The Plastic shows "...high mechanical strength and elasticity under steady stress in a temperature range from - 40°C till + 80°C. Short time loading ... without stress is possible up to 160°C."

The Detail Resin does not have any explicit temperature limits that I could find, but since it is also a photopolymer like the Shapeways Detail Plastic, I assume that it is also heatproof to 48C/118.4F degrees.

EDIT: The Shapeways Strong & Flexible Plastic and the Sculpteo Plastic are both PA 2200 (a type of Nylon), according to the material data sheets that I accessed from both sites.

Last edited:
Here is some more information on plastic versus resin for the adapter.

The adapter is likely to experience high heat conditions when your car is locked and parked in the sun. The plastics from Shapeways and Sculpteo are likely to tolerate heat much better than the resin products.

From Shapeways

The Strong & Flexible Plastic "...is heatproof to 80C/176F degrees. Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties."

The Detail Plastic is a resin or photopolymer that "...is heatproof to 48C/118.4F degrees. Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties."

From Sculpteo

The Plastic shows "...high mechanical strength and elasticity under steady stress in a temperature range from - 40°C till + 80°C. Short time loading ... without stress is possible up to 160°C."

The Detail Resin does not have any explicit temperature limits that I could find, but since it is also a photopolymer like the Shapeways Detail Plastic, I assume that it is also heatproof to 48C/118.4F degrees.

Good to know. Thanks. A parked car in the summer can hit 118*F in most of the US.

Thanks, pyarza!

Maybe you will get the latest prototype before I do.

I have changed the part descriptions at both Shapeways and Sculpteo to read "White (or Black)".

Also, there is no mark-up on the prices - I pay what you pay. I figured that I would not get rich, so why try?

Also, at the Shapeways site, the "Download Model" button is enabled for those of you who want to print on your own 3D printers.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ErewhonGadgets

http://www.sculpteo.com/en/s/markfisher58958/

Erewhon: Thanks for the info about the models and for the FAIR price, I wouldn't mind pay a little more for the units, but you are right, you were not going to become rich with this adaptors... ;)

What SW do you use for the model design?

Sometime ago i started to play with the openscad (http://www.openscad.org/) software and found it quite useful for designing small parts where you know the basic dimensions of the elements...
if you are more biased to a command line than to a CAD application...

Erewhon: Thanks for the info about the models and for the FAIR price, I wouldn't mind pay a little more for the units, but you are right, you were not going to become rich with this adaptors... ;)

What SW do you use for the model design?

Sometime ago i started to play with the openscad (http://www.openscad.org/) software and found it quite useful for designing small parts where you know the basic dimensions of the elements...
if you are more biased to a command line than to a CAD application...

Hi pyarza,

I used an eMachineShop application to do the original design without the clip. Its interface is more "traditional" and uses a 2D mechanical drawing approach. You can then render a 3D image (view only) to make sure you designed what you wanted to design, and export the result as an STL file.

See: http://www.emachineshop.com/

For the design with the clip, I used DesignSpark Mechanical. It is a more "modern" application in that you work directly with a 3D rendering of the object.

See: http://www.designspark.com/eng/page/mechanical

Both software packages are free. The companies offering the software hope that you will make use of their manufacturing services and parts. I feel a bit guilty that I did not do so! :oops:

=====

I had actually looked at openscad a while ago and I have it installed. Initially, however, I was seduced by the direct graphic manipulation of eMachineShop and DesignSpark. After a while, I found that I was keeping a hand-written list of the steps that I followed to create the parts. When I looked at openscad again, at your suggestion, it looks like you use it by entering a list of written instructions, similar to the hand-written lists that I was maintaining, and very similar to writing a program, which I do a lot (I'm a great Java fan).

Anyhow, I've been following the openscad tutorials to see what it can do, and will be adding it to my toolbox. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nice project! Thank you. One small problem though: I cannot seem to order this filter through Amazon since the seller is not shipping to The Netherlands (Europe). I found the filter on eBay but same problem, seller will not ship to my country.
Does anyone know where I can order the filter? (I already ordered the clip through Shapeways)

Nice project! Thank you. One small problem though: I cannot seem to order this filter through Amazon since the seller is not shipping to The Netherlands (Europe). I found the filter on eBay but same problem, seller will not ship to my country.
Does anyone know where I can order the filter? (I already ordered the clip through Shapeways)

Can you order from Amazon in the UK? The filter is available there. Or, is Amazon/UK where you tried to order?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00BMCWO6S
The description says: "Box contents:1 Carry Speed MagFilter Polarising Filter CPL 36 mm for Canon PowerShot; 2 lens rings; 1 neoprene case"

The lens rings are the little magnetic rings that the filter attaches to magnetically.

Bye the way, I received the latest design from Shapeways and Sculpteo, and both fit fine with no sanding needed.

Try here:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/B00BMCWO6S

Thanks, just ordered through Germany!
Really happy with my blackvue 500 so far, hope this lens and adapter will take some of the windscreen reflections away.

Really happy with my blackvue 500 so far, hope this lens and adapter will take some of the windscreen reflections away.

Good news, LuckyLuke, about the Carry Speed filter. It will definitely make a difference in the windscreen reflections.

You will need to make sure the Carry Speed filter is oriented the correct way to get the best effect, as discussed in earlier posts.

Mark the filter with a bit of colored sticky tape to show the proper filter orientation for maximum reduction of glare and reflection. Park your car to get a lot of reflection in the windshield. Hold the filter by itself in front of the windshield and rotate the filter by hand to note the best orientation. Mark the bottom of the filter to show this orientation. Here's a picture of my BlackVue from the driver position, showing the yellow marker on the installed filter, rotated to the best position. (Old design adapter is shown - not the new clip design.)

yellow-dot-1_zpseebff126.jpg

just received my package from shapeways...
fits perfectly with no sanding!!!

Thanks erewhon!!!

Below are several pictures of the adapter installed on my camera

Adapter
filter_black_vue1.jpg

Magnetic ring and adapter
filter_black_vue2.jpg

Magnetic ring and adapter + lens detached
filter_black_vue3.jpg

Magnetic ring and adapter + lens attached
filter_black_vue4.jpg

Magnetic ring and adapter placed on blackvue
filter_black_vue5.jpg

Magnetic ring and adapter placed on blackvue + lens (several views)
filter_black_vue6.jpg
filter_black_vue7.jpg
filter_black_vue8.jpg

pyarza, where to buy, give references:
1. adapter
2. lens
3. or complete set
4. what's the price?

just received my package from shapeways...
fits perfectly with no sanding!!!

Thanks erewhon!!!

Below are several pictures of the adapter installed on my camera

Adapter
View attachment 2737

Magnetic ring and adapter
View attachment 2738

Magnetic ring and adapter + lens detached
View attachment 2742

Magnetic ring and adapter + lens attached
View attachment 2741

Magnetic ring and adapter placed on blackvue
View attachment 2743

Magnetic ring and adapter placed on blackvue + lens (several views)
View attachment 2739
View attachment 2740
View attachment 2744
Great photos, pyarza!

Thanks for posting them.

Sorry LuckyLuke that I didn't see your post earlier: I also live in The Netherlands, and got my Carry Speed filter through www.cameracompleet.nl (run by Ringfoto Focus in Voorburg and Den Haag) for 31,70 EUR incl shipping (which I think is pretty cheap!).

The new design looks great erewhon !! I just ordered one from Shapeways too. I do wonder a little if, looking at the last photo posted by Pyarza, the mount would not easily snap off when driving over a bump or such, it seems the "leg" is just over the thickest part of the BlackVue body. And I wonder if the ventilation holes on the DR550 will also not be covered. I'll let you know once I receive it !

Thanks again for all the work you've put in to this !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E DR500GW-HD 18
J DR500GW-HD 1052
Back