New to dash cams- is what I want even possible?

quicky&dirty

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Very new to the scene here. I recently moved to Florida, and the drivers here make me very nervous. I've also heard several stories of insurance scams happening to friends here, so I'd really like to protect myself as much as possible. My budget is pretty low. I think $150 is a solid number. I'd prefer to pay less; I'm willing to pay up to $200 if I'm absolutely blown away.

I've been researching for a few days, and not really finding what I'm looking for. I'd really appreciate any help you all can offer- this forum has been a great help already. Here are the specifics of what I'm looking for:
  • I'd greatly prefer to have front and rear cameras. I have been in a single accident in my life, and the person rear-ended me- going a solid 35 mph. I believe she was texting, but of course I had no proof.
  • I'm not willing to mess around under the hood of my car. I need to be able to power the camera(s) with the cigarette lighter.
  • I don't care about parking protection- it won't run while my car is off anyways, and I plan on hiding it when I'm not in the car.
  • To that end, I would also really like for it to be easy to dismount/remount. I was really into the Blacksys CF-100 until I read the review on here (really useful review by the way! Thank you @niko!!) that mentioned it being tedious to do so.
  • It has to be able to survive a Florida summer (so ambient temps of 100+ degrees F- much hotter in the car, and I don't have a garage). Once again, it won't be running.
  • A screen would be nice, but not even slightly necessary.
  • GPS data, video quality, wifi capabilities, etc. are not that important to me. I would want at least 720p quality, but I think 1080p is standard (for front-facing cameras) anyways? So I'm not that worried about the extras.
To summarize: dual-channel preferred, easy to remove/put back on. Can survive heat, but won't be running in heat anyways. Under $150. Is this possible, or do I have to settle for a front-facing camera to meet my budget? The Blacksys seemed basically perfect except the difficulties with temporarily removing it.

Thank you in advance! I really appreciate any help!!

Welcome to DCT forum !
You need a calacitor based dashcam, especially fkr your region.
You can use 3M dual lock on CF-100 bracket instead of adhesive. This way you will be able to mount-dismount main unit when needed. I believe rear camera can stay in car always, it's a small size.

You may want to end up with two 'simple' cams that have capacitors, or capable of easily adding one.
The mobius is small, reliable. Pretty easy to remove. You'd want the add-on capacitor.
A118-C is OK.
Papago GS110
All will lurk around $100 US once you add a decent memory card.

Thanks!! And seriously, your reviews are unbelievably useful.
You can use 3M dual lock on CF-100 bracket instead of adhesive. This way you will be able to mount-dismount main unit when needed.

Ah, duh. That's brilliant. Should've thought of that. I do really like that cam. Thanks again for your help!

@dash riposki I do like the mobius, and the other cams look interesting as well. I didn't think it was possible to have two cameras both plug in to my cigarette lighter socket- am I wrong?

@Gabacho Thank you!!

Back