New to DashCams - I have a few questions

Darev

Reaction score
Country
United States
After seeing an accident on a freeway recently that occured just two cars behind me (a rollover accident) I figured it was time to look into dashcams. I used to use my cell phone as a dashcam, but stopped because it would overheat when mounted on my dashboard in the sunlight during my 90 minute commute.

I purchased a Lukas 9370 system and did a quick/dirty installation in my 2016 Ford Focus sedan.

A couple of observations/questions:

The form factor on the front camera is quite large and obviously a camera. Are there any systems that use small cameras, like the rear camers, for both front/rear with some soft of control box that can be kept out of sight while hooked up to both cameras?

The second question is related to running wires inside the car. There is a convenient small gap between the top of the front windshield and the interior roof where I was able to run the power/rear camera wires. The problem is any time I take the camera out of the mount, the wires come loose and I have to put them back in place.

Is there some sort of tape or putty (silly putty would work too for all I care if it doesn't degrade in sunlight) that would help keep those wires in place?

The form factor on the front camera is quite large and obviously a camera. Are there any systems that use small cameras, like the rear camers, for both front/rear with some soft of control box that can be kept out of sight while hooked up to both cameras?
Yes, the Street Guardian SGZC12RC. The only "problem" is that the mic is in the control unit and if you "stash" it inside the glove box, for example, you'll have poor audio.

Lukas 9390 is a very good camera as far as reliability and build quality.
Yes, it's big but so far the best dual channel I've used.
I've used it in below 0 degree Fahrenheit to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and hasn't failed once.
Well it did eat my microSD but that's my fault. I put it in the wrong hole. ;)

You can route cables along the headliner to the back camera.
For power, you can hard wire to fuse box and it'll be pretty clean or just route it along the other side of headliner down to 12v charger outlet.

If you are concerned about loose wire when you take camera out, just wrap it around the RV mirror mount.
That's what I've done for both rear cable and power cable so it stays there when camera is taken out.

Yes, the Street Guardian SGZC12RC. The only "problem" is that the mic is in the control unit and if you "stash" it inside the glove box, for example, you'll have poor audio.

that's why our dual cam version it will have built in mic plus the option to plug an external mic in, you never know how or where it will get installed

Only way to do it, and pretty cheap too + i assume ppl can choose what ever external mic they please.

Both mono i assume too ?

Back